Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi, AirPlay, and Sonos

kirkmc
Tutor

Orbi, AirPlay, and Sonos

I have a Netgear Orbi BK753 system, which I upgraded recently from a BK50. For more than five years, I have had very few problems sending audio from my iMacs to the Sonos Amp via AirPlay. The iMac is connected to the Orbi via Ethernet, and has wifi on for macOS features such as Handoff and Continuity. 

Since the upgrade, even though the Music app shows the Sonos Amp in the AirPlay menu, I can’t stream music to it. I discovered that it does work if Ethernet is disconnected or is not the first network interface in the Network pane of System Preferences. 

What could be happening with the Orbi to prevent AirPlay over ethernet? It’s a bit of a headache to have to change this back and forth, if I do need the ethernet connection. In any case, it always worked before, so I’m trying to figure out why it’s not working now. There's got to be some setting that I can't find that is blocking this. 

Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Orbi, AirPlay, and Sonos

Is the sonos amp connected to the router or the satellite? 

If you read on the sonos forums, there's a bunch of reports of issues with mesh systems on there. You might ask for help on there as they'll be more familiar with getting their product working properly. 

Message 2 of 6
kirkmc
Tutor

It's connected to the router. I've asked on the Orbi forums, and haven't gotten any satisfactory replies. As I said, it worked fine before with the RBK50.

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

Are you using icloud relay or private mac/ip address on the mac/ios devices? If so, disable it

Message 4 of 6
iyang
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @kirkmc ,

What's FW do you use ?

Thanks.

Message 5 of 6
kirkmc
Tutor

FW? Firewall? None.