Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Ethernet Backhaul Setup

Dsteve
Tutor

Orbi Ethernet Backhaul Setup

Trying to set up my Orbi RBK853 for enthernet backhaul.

No issues with the satellites.

Question regarding the connections for the router with ethernet backhaul.

Is it a single ethernet cable from my switch to the WAN yellow port on the router?

Or

Is it a single ethernet cable from my switch to the LAN port on the router?

Or

Is it two ethernet cables, one from the switch to the router WAN yellow port for internet traffic and the second ethernet cable going from a router LAN port back to the switch for the backhaul?

Thanks

Message 1 of 23
Retired_Member
Not applicable

For ethernet backhaul, it's the following:

1. Modem plugged directly into the WAN (yellow) port of your router
  2. 1 LAN port from the router to the switch
  3. For each satellite, 1 LAN port from the satellite to the switch

You can see a visual to this in the 3rd image from the article below.

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

The diagram is missing the #1 link above showing the modem connected to the WAN.

I hope this helps!

Message 2 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 3 of 23
Dsteve
Tutor

For the WAN connection, does it have to be directly to the modem or can be connected via a switch or switches?

My home setup has mutliple unmanaged/managed switches and VLAN's to control access.

Modem>>>D-Link DSR250>>>>netgear GS116 which everything in the house.

For the Orbi router connection i am going:

D-LInk DSR250>>>>Netgear GS308e>>>>Orbi Router

Basically can i connect both connects from the ORbi router WAN & LAN to the same switch?

Note, right now i have the Orbi router just connected to the LAN, everything seems to work great, but when i login to router via browser i seem to have an issue with firmware update, says theres not internet connection.

Thanks

Message 4 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

This will work:

D-LInk DSR250>>>>>2 WAN port on Orbi Router>>>>LAN port from Orbi Router>>>>>2 Netgear GS308e switch

Message 5 of 23
Dsteve
Tutor

I guess i should have mentioned i have a VLAN currently setup on one port of the GS308e>>>2 the DSR-250, to seperate off my work laptop from my home network.

Putting the GS308e after the ORbi router is that going to create any issues?

Sorry just know enough to be dangerous setting up this stuff.

Thanks

Message 6 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Since the DSR is a router already, I presume you may want to set the RBR to AP mode. Then just plug the WAN Port of the RBR in to the back of the switch at at the DSR. Then you can connect anything else behind the RBR if needed using it's free LAN ports. 

Message 7 of 23
Dsteve
Tutor

Correct i am using AP Mode.

Still having issues, attaching a sketch of my home network.

I could at a pitch connect the Orbi Router and Satellites directly to the DSR-250, but not convinced that will fix my issues with the ethernet backhaul as i cant get a connection from Orbi router LAN back to a switch.

Reluctant to try as i would have to change alot of things around.

The only issue i see with my current setup is that i cant do automatic firmware updates, everything else seems to work great.

Any other issues/risks i am missing? Security?

Thanks,

Message 8 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya that configuration isn't going to work for the RBS ethernet connected. The RBS need to be ethernet connected behind the RBR, weather in router OR AP mode. They can't pass thru a router in between the RBR and RBS. They have to be connected behind the RBR. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

I've tested this many times. 

Message 9 of 23
Dsteve
Tutor

Yeah understand the requirements clearly now, just wondering about using the LAN port on the router.

Everything seems good, i see all the devices on the network, my wireless devices connect seamlessly to the router and the satellites, performance excellent. 750 Mbps service getting 700+ Mbps on speed tests.

Like i said only issue is no auto update on the firmware, to be honest i can live with that.

I guess i can keep the same setup and just disconnect the ethernet backhaul and plug the router back into the WAN port, everything should work fine. Hate do that when my house is completely wired in every room for ethernet connections.

Thanks for the help.

Message 10 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

So the RBR isn't seeing any FW upates or not getting any responces when you check for FW? Thats possible a ISP or host router configuration issue. IF in AP mode, the WAN port is used on the RBR, router or AP mode. 

AP mode is just passing thru traffic so if the RBR can't get FW updates or check correctly, this would be a up stream issue somewhere....

Message 11 of 23
Dsteve
Tutor

Logged on to the router through a browser, its starts to check, status says "Please wait a moment", then it goes "No Internet".

The iPad app says "There's was a problem checking firmware update"

If i use the WAN port on the router all the wired devices disappear from the connected devices.

Message 12 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

WAN port on the RBR? 

Yes the WAN port on the RBR needs to be used for AP mode. Why FW update isn't working. Connect the WAN port on the RBR to the host router. I would reboot both host router and RBR after this then after the RBR is back online give it some time to let the status page populate. It will. 

Message 13 of 23
Dsteve
Tutor

Ok progress and better understanding, some of obvious now!!! 🙂

Router connected to the WAN port, auto firmware checks now working.

Just realized the attached devices is really meant for the devices connecting wirelessly or through the LAN ports only. That is working as expected, but liked being able to see everything on my home network using the LAN Port. 🙂

Bottom line i need to get an extra Cat5e cable downstream of the DSR-250 to a diiferent switch to connect the ethernet backhauls.

Just remembered the house was wired with a spare Cat5e cable which i think i can connect back to the basement enclosure, if i use that the thernet backhaul should work ?

See attached a couple of possible setups, i think either will work, but is less desireable due to distance from router.

Will either work?

Thanks again for the help.

Message 14 of 23
Dsteve
Tutor

Netgear does not allow more than 1 attachment!!!

Message 15 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, that will work for the RBS connected to the RBR. 

Message 16 of 23
hajman69
Aspirant

This solution works. I had endless issues setting up backhall, I spent £20 on a netgear unmanaged gigabit 8port switch and set up as follows: 

1. ISP provided Router (ASUS) connected to modem via internet port. 

2. Orbi set to AP mode and an ethernet cable from internet port of Orbi Router to LAN port on ISP router. 

3. Cable from Orbi router LAN port to LAN port on 8port switch 

(This would not be needed if i could plug the satellites into the orbi router LAN ports directly but my router is set up separately from the ISP router in a corridor and hard cabled in such as way this was not possibele)

4. ethernet connected satellites plugged into the switch. 

Sounds like this aprpoach should not be needed but anything else just resulted in me pulling my hair out. This solution is stable and fast and allows me to deliver high speed wirless to two parts of the house separated by 10ft thick stone walls and an outdoor office. 

Now it is working properly the orbi solution is brilliant, 

I hope this helps. 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 17 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 18 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@Dsteve wrote:

Ok progress and better understanding, some of obvious now!!! 🙂

Router connected to the WAN port, auto firmware checks now working.

Just realized the attached devices is really meant for the devices connecting wirelessly or through the LAN ports only. That is working as expected, but liked being able to see everything on my home network using the LAN Port. 🙂

Bottom line i need to get an extra Cat5e cable downstream of the DSR-250 to a diiferent switch to connect the ethernet backhauls.

Just remembered the house was wired with a spare Cat5e cable which i think i can connect back to the basement enclosure, if i use that the thernet backhaul should work ?

See attached a couple of possible setups, i think either will work, but is less desireable due to distance from router.

Will either work?

Thanks again for the help.

Message 19 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

@Dsteve wrote:

Trying to set up my Orbi RBK853 for enthernet backhaul.

No issues with the satellites.

Question regarding the connections for the router with ethernet backhaul.

Is it a single ethernet cable from my switch to the WAN yellow port on the router? No

Or

Is it a single ethernet cable from my switch to the LAN port on the router? Yes

Or

Is it two ethernet cables, one from the switch to the router WAN yellow port for internet traffic and the second ethernet cable going from a router LAN port back to the switch for the backhaul? No

Thanks

Message 20 of 23
hajman69
Aspirant

What you are proposing will work. 

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 21 of 23
hajman69
Aspirant

@FURRYe38  You seem to be suggesting that the extra cable is not required. If you are connecting the satellites to the Orbi router they are not. If, however you are not able to connect the satellites to the Orbi router, then you cannot just plug them into the ISP provided router.  Disclaimer - I am not a networking engineer but my experiences support this. 

If you cannot plug the satellites into your Orbi router because of location, you will need to have a switch connected to one of the Orbi routers LAN ports and the Orbi router connected to the ISP supplied router. If of course your Orbi is your router as opposed to AP the setup may be different. 

Long and short, in my experience, you cannot set up backhaul by ethernet with a single cable plugged into your Orbi router in either WAN or LAN ports, regardless of the pictures on Netgear website. Another disclaimer, i never tried am ethernet backhaul between two satellites. with wirteless to the router.  Has anyone tried this? 

Message 22 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Single cable is all that is required for wired back haul in any configuration, router or AP mode. This is not a suggestion.

If by location you can not have a direct connection to the back of the RBR, then yes, the use of a LAN switch in between the RBR and RBS is supported. I have 3 switches in daisy chain between my RBR and 1 of my RBS in the basement and 2 that connects my other RBS in the dining room. Been working like this for years i've been using Orbi systems.

If your having problems using the single cable to connect your RBS to the RBR, then there is a problem that has to be investigated. 

@hajman69 wrote:

You seem to be suggesting that the extra cable is not required. If you are connecting the satellites to the Orbi router they are not. If, however you are not able to connect the satellites to the Orbi router, then you cannot just plug them into the ISP provided router.  Disclaimer - I am not a networking engineer but my experiences support this. 

If you cannot plug the satellites into your Orbi router because of location, you will need to have a switch connected to one of the Orbi routers LAN ports and the Orbi router connected to the ISP supplied router. If of course your Orbi is your router as opposed to AP the setup may be different. 

Long and short, in my experience, you cannot set up backhaul by ethernet with a single cable plugged into your Orbi router in either WAN or LAN ports, regardless of the pictures on Netgear website. Another disclaimer, i never tried am ethernet backhaul between two satellites. with wirteless to the router.  Has anyone tried this? 

Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7