Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Installation problem

garrymwarren
Aspirant

Orbi Installation problem

I have been trying all day to set this up and i have hit a brick wall

I currently own a Nighthawk X6 but wanted to go for the Orbi so that I wouldn't have to use extenders and different passwords

My internet provider is EE

The Modem is a BT Openreach

So all was going well with the set up. Disconnected Modem as suggested, reconnected and then added the router. Followed the Orbi App setup route to the letter. Installed the satellite and all seemd to be Going well

The app found the router and connected , but then came the problem. The app was checking the cable connections and finally could not do it

I tried the start up 3 or 4 times all with the same result.

It then dawned on me that I may need to input ee's user name and password to allow the two to communicate, however when I looked at my phone the Wi Fi settings asked my to sign in to the Orbi Router and as soon as I tried to do that I was rediredted to a BT Wholesale message telling me to close down my browser. No matter what i do i cannot get rid of this message and I have unpluged, reset, everything but it still won't go past that message.

Reconnecting my Nighthawk and everythinbg is fine

Has anyone here experienced this before and if so what is the solution?

thanks in advance

Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi Installation problem

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Did you power OFF the ISP Modem/ONT for 30 seconds then walk thru the setup wizard? 

I recommend using a wired PC and web browser to set up the RBR and RBS. You can set up the RBS later after getting the RBR online. 

Message 2 of 11
garrymwarren
Aspirant

Hi, Thanks for your input

Don't know the firmware version

The modem is BT openreach made by ECI (b-Focus V-2 fub)

Yes I powered everything off for longer than 30 seconds and I followed the app religiously

Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Try with a wired Pc and web browser pointed at 192.168.1.1...

Message 4 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

@garrymwarren wrote:

It then dawned on me that I may need to input ee's user name and password to allow the two to communicate,

I agree with @FURRYe38 that the Orbi 'app' is not always great for setting up new Orbi systems.

If the Nighthawk requires a network User Name and password to access the EE network, then the Orbi will require the same credentials.

It is not clear (to me) that the Orbi 'app' has a mechanism to enter credentials, whereas the Orbi web interface clearly displays the question on the Internet Tab: Does your Internet connection require a login?

It is not clear how far you got in configuring the Orbi.  When taken "out of the box", the WiFi credentials (SSID/password) match the ones printed on the product label and the web administration interface is set to "admin" and "password".

We Old Timers prefer the comfort and stability of a wired connection (ethernet cable) directly from our computer to the WiFi router when configuring the router.  Alas, many customers do not have traditional computers with ethernet jacks. For them, a WiFi connection works fine.

• Connect the device (laptop, tablet, etc.) to the Orbi WiFi network.
    (Smartphone have such tiny screens that using the web interface is a challenge.)
  • Open a web browser to http://orbilogin.net
  • Log in using "admin" and "password" and go through the setup, inputting the EE user name and password.

Message 5 of 11
garrymwarren
Aspirant

Thanks for the advice

I will and can direct wire the orbi to my PC so will have a go at the manual set up.

will let you know the results later

Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

Message 7 of 11
garrymwarren
Aspirant

None at all

I am very frustrated with it now. I have returned the orbi and got a replacement and it's exactly the same, so it's not the product its something that it doesn't like here.

So with the app set up everything is fine until it tries to connect to the internet. I believe the term the app uses says Checking Cables. Anyway it fails at this point and gives the option for advanced set up and to place the ISP user name and details into the system. In theory this should work, but after inputting the details, the app says its working it's magic, but a few seconds later it once again cannot connect to the internet.

So Connecting it wired to my PC allows me to log in to the router and place these details in manually, but once again when the system updates there is no internet.

The network is found and all of the components connected to the network are showing, but internet connection is not happening

Plugging my Nighthawk back into the the modem and hey presto I have internet again. 

So there is something that the orbi and my BT openreach modem do not like about each other I guess

Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you have the ISP modem handle the ISP account information then let the modem and RBR use normal DHCP connection between each other? 

Any chance of the ISP supporting a different brand modem? 

Message 9 of 11
garrymwarren
Aspirant

I would certainly try to do the modem / isp connection if I knew how to do it. It sounds reasonable to me

I guess trying a different modem is an option, but I may need to call netgear. I must say though that i am sure that this BT modem should work with it

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

I agree it should work however with all the various modems out there, there maybe some oddities seen. Smiley Embarassed

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7