Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBK 750 Static Route to Modem UI, Starlink

akoMN
Aspirant

Orbi RBK 750 Static Route to Modem UI, Starlink

I connected an RBK750 router to my Starlink dish directly, which means I replaced the Starlink router.
The Starlink dish has an internal IP address 192.168.100.1 with statistical data that I want to access.
RBK750 LAN address is 10.0.0.1

I tried to set up a static route:

Destination IP Address: 192.168.100.1

IP Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.255

Gateway IP Address: 10.0.0.1

Metric: 2

Unfortunately, it doesn´t work. What's wrong?

Message 1 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Ask your ISP if there modem/router is required for use wtih there hardware. Some ISP may require there HW to be used.

Message 2 of 21
akoMN
Aspirant

The ISP is Starlink and the modem is their dish. I already skipped the Starlink router and connected the RBK750 directly. Works all fine. I only want to have a static route from my network to the modem's statistic page. 
I found out that it works when I use the to public IP address assigned by the ISP as Gateway IP address instead of the internal router address 10.0.0.1. 

On other routers, I would try 0.0.0.0 as the gateway, but the RBK750 refuses to use this address ("invalid gateway address").

Message 3 of 21
akoMN
Aspirant

@akoMN wrote:

I found out that it works when I use the to public IP address assigned by the ISP as Gateway IP address instead of the internal router address 10.0.0.1. 

Unfortunately, it works only until a new public IP iss assigned by the ISP. So this is not a solution.

Message 4 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

I'd ask the ISP what there IP address of the modem is. Most cable modems use 192.168.100.1 which passes thru most routers to connected PCs. Something to ask your ISP about. 

Message 5 of 21
akoMN
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I'd ask the ISP what there IP address of the modem is. Most cable modems use 192.168.100.1 which passes thru most routers to connected PCs. Something to ask your ISP about. 

The modem IP address is indeed 192.168.100.1, but it doesn't pass thru the RBK750 router. Still looking for a reliable solution to add a static route for this. Seems to be a lacking feature of an otherwise great product.

Message 6 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

I should. My CM1200 uses same addresss and I get thru my 850....

What browser are you using? 

Is there a model# of this mome or is that something specific to this ISP? 

Message 7 of 21
akoMN
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I should. My CM1200 uses same addresss and I get thru my 850....

What browser are you using? 

Is there a model# of this mome or is that something specific to this ISP? 

I tried Chrome, Safari, Opera, and Firefox.

The "modem" is a Starlink satellite dish. The technology is great, It comes with everything and is plug&play. Only the WIFI router is a little weak and the only thing that can be configured is the SSID. So I did what many users do, I bought a mesh WIFI system (Orbi WIFI 6) and connected the router directly to the "modem". Works well, except that I cannot access the status page on 192.168.100.1.

Other Starlink users solved this by setting up a static route, but this is not working with the Orbi router.

Message 8 of 21
TTFD753
Aspirant

I have the same setup. What is interesting is the Starlink app/stats work until the Orbi grabs an internet connection. Once that gateway is established, the Starlink app and stats no longer work and the app loses connection to Dishy.  I can replicate this by power cycling both Dishy and Orbi at the same time. Once phone receives wireless connection, the Starlink app connects to Dishy. 

My static route info:

Static Route 192.168.100.0

Subnet 255.255.255.0

Gateway 10.4.0.1

Metric 2

Message 9 of 21
TTFD753
Aspirant

Also I have tried using different gateway addresses in that static route setup and end up with the same result. 

I have tried:

1.1.1.1 (since it will not let you use 0.0.0.0)

Message 10 of 21
Macrich
Tutor

I am also trying to hook up my Orbi to Starlink to access the stats on the app. Where do I find the public IP address assigned by Starlink to use as the Gateway IP address? Is it Basic/Internet/Internet IP address/Gateway IP Address ?

Message 11 of 21
TTFD753
Aspirant

You use the one listed in Basic/Internet/Internet IP Address/IP Address. Do not use the one listed in the Gateway IP Address field as that one will not work. 

Message 12 of 21
Macrich
Tutor

Thanks I'll give it a go. I assume that if the dish or Starlink router reboots I come back there and enter the new address.

Message 13 of 21
TTFD753
Aspirant

Yes you are correct. Every time Dishy reboots it issues a new public IP and you will have to update the static route gateway with this new IP. 

Message 14 of 21
Nyquist91
Aspirant

I have exactly the same setup with Starlink. I can set the static route to use the assigned IP and stats work, but once that IP changes it stops working.

Other routers appear to support 0.0.0.0 - it looks like we are out of luck with the Orbi.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 15 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Ask the ISP to give you a static IP address on the WAN side? 

Message 16 of 21
akoMN
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Ask the ISP to give you a static IP address on the WAN side? 

Starlink doesn't offer static IP at this time.

Message 17 of 21
jescott3
Guide

Yes, it is a workable solution. The main problem is that any time the Starlink dish is reset or unplugged from power, the IP address changes. All that is needed to fix this is to login to your Orbi router then find and replace the old IP address with the current one. Here's a step by step method to do that works perfectly using my Orbi RBR50:

orbilogin > Advanced tab > ADVANCED Home > Internet Port (box in right panel) > IP Address (copy it) > Advanced Setup > Static Routes > Destination box (enter 192.168.100.0) > Gateway box (enter copied IP Address from Internet Port box in earlier step) > Click Save and you're done.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 18 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for posting this. Hope this is helpful for StartLink users. 

Message 19 of 21
akoMN
Aspirant

@jescott3 wrote:

orbilogin > Advanced tab > ADVANCED Home > Internet Port (box in right panel) > IP Address (copy it) > Advanced Setup > Static Routes > Destination box (enter 192.168.100.0) > Gateway box (enter copied IP Address from Internet Port box in earlier step) > Click Save and you're done.

For sure this works, but it is not really comfortable to do it every time the public IP changes.
I solved it by installing an ethernet only router (Ubiquiti) between the Starlink modem and the RBR750. The RBR750 is working in AP mode now. 

Message 20 of 21
Nyquist91
Aspirant

Agreed, this is not a good solution.

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements