Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK 852 slow / won't finish loading / buffering

jk_89
Aspirant

Orbi RBK 852 slow / won't finish loading / buffering

Hi all

I purchased my Orbi RBK 852 in June (about four months ago) and had set it up successfully then. It came with the router and one satellite.

I still use the modem provided by my ISP, which is the TG-789 Broadband Gateway. Under my current internet plan, I can get up to 100/40mbps DL/UL speeds.

I was getting fantastic speeds, no issues at all with my setup, and great WiFi coverage, until a few days ago, around Friday 24 September 2021. I noticed that across all of my devices (2x iPhone, 2x iMac, and Samsung TV) that content would not fully load or would be extremely slow to load.

For example, when I open Tumblr on my iPhone, it generally loads the text ok, but any media (images or videos) do not load, or take an extremely long time to load (5 min plus). On my Samsung TV, I can navigate to Netflix, Disney+ and so on fairly well including seeing thumbnails of the shows. But when I try to watch a show, I get the spinning wheel of death and the show either does not load, or, gets 2-3 seconds in and pauses to buffer for a few minutes, then resumes playing for a few seconds, and buffers again.

I have run several speed tests which all come back showing fantastic speeds.

I have troubleshooted a variety of things:

• turning off and on, power cycle
  • factory reset on both modem and Orbi
  • set MTU size down from 1500 to 1468
  • changed CTS/RTS from default 64 to 2347
  • all the usual settings enabled (20/40 MHz coexistence, WMM, enable AX)

None of these worked. I am using current firmware version 4.6.3.16 and WPA2-PSK [AES] security option.

I am certain the issue i with Orbi because I unplugged it and used the in-built WiFi that comes with the modem. When I connected to that WiFi network, I had no issues at all with content loading across all devices. It's only when I connect to the Orbi WiFi network that the issues occur, and only in the last few days - I haven't changed anything in my setup in that time.

Something that might mean something to a more knowledgeable person, is that I have an app on my iPhone which came with my antivirus software which contains the ability to use a VPN. I don't use it normally. But I tried turning on the VPN on my iPhone, and I noticed when I did this that the issues with slow loading went away completely. And when I turn the VPN back off, they return again.

Hopeful for some assistance otherwise I will just return the Orbi 😞

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBK 852 slow / won't finish loading / buffering

What mode is your modem working in? Router or modem only?

Your ISP Modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What mode is your modem working in? Router or modem only?

Your ISP Modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Message 2 of 9
jk_89
Aspirant

Thanks @FURRYe38 , I think I have successfully implemented solution 1 (configuring the modem to in bridged mode only). Am going to see how it goes over the next 24-48 hours before marking this as resolved. So far, it looks good, but not making any grand calls yet!

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 4 of 9
jk_89
Aspirant

I'm still having some issues, but specifically with remote login for my work when I work from home. I can connect and open my remote desktop, but performance quickly degrades. It is as though it is not fully loading things - when I swap applications on my remote desktop, it only loads the screen in pieces/chunks and stops eventually, becoming unresponsive. I can close and re-open but the issue creeps back in after 30 seconds or so.

I was reading a whirlpool thread about my specific modem, the TG-789, and I have the following questions:

• I use PPPoE and have input the details provided by my ISP on the "internet setup" page of the Orbi admin login. For connection mode, should I be selecting "always on" or one of the others?
  • Under Advanced > Setup > LAN setup, should I be changing any details in there for IP address or "use router as DHCP server"? Someone posting on the whirlpool thread mentions the following: "I've also disabled DHCP on the 789 and changed its IP to 192.168.1.2 and set my DHCP to start from 192.168.1.3 on the router". Do I need to check these IP addresses on the modem/router?
  • What other things should I change to improve performance for remote login? I changed the MTU size down to 1400 but this doesn't seem to have done anything.

Thanks again!

Message 5 of 9
raven_au
Virtuoso

@jk_89 wrote:

I'm still having some issues, but specifically with remote login for my work when I work from home. I can connect and open my remote desktop, but performance quickly degrades. It is as though it is not fully loading things - when I swap applications on my remote desktop, it only loads the screen in pieces/chunks and stops eventually, becoming unresponsive. I can close and re-open but the issue creeps back in after 30 seconds or so.

I was reading a whirlpool thread about my specific modem, the TG-789, and I have the following questions:

• I use PPPoE and have input the details provided by my ISP on the "internet setup" page of the Orbi admin login. For connection mode, should I be selecting "always on" or one of the others?
  • Under Advanced > Setup > LAN setup, should I be changing any details in there for IP address or "use router as DHCP server"? Someone posting on the whirlpool thread mentions the following: "I've also disabled DHCP on the 789 and changed its IP to 192.168.1.2 and set my DHCP to start from 192.168.1.3 on the router". Do I need to check these IP addresses on the modem/router?
  • What other things should I change to improve performance for remote login? I changed the MTU size down to 1400 but this doesn't seem to havThanks again!e done anything.

I have an old TG-789.

First question:

I don't use PPPoE but, yes I'm pretty sure that needs to be put in the Orbi internet config.

AFAICS there is no "always on" setting or anything else like it.

Second question:

I don't know but and I can't remember if I disabled the DHCP server on the 789 when I put it into bridge mode, that was a long time ago. I also disable the wireless on the 789 using the buttons on top as sometimes I want to check the connection so I connect to the wireless.

Diabling DHCP on the 789 should not need to be done regardless, it's on a different network to the Orbi.

I haven't needed to change anything on the 789 for it to work well.

Message 6 of 9
raven_au
Virtuoso

@raven_au wrote:

I haven't needed to change anything on the 789 for it to work well.

Make sure you don't plug anything except the Orbi into the 789, I have observed problems in bridge mode when a second device was plaugged in to it to check settings and I rebooted the Orbi.

I have also found that if the internet connection fails to come up I need to unplug the ethernet cable from the 789 for 3 minutes or more before it will work again but that could be something to do with my ISP.

Message 7 of 9
jk_89
Aspirant

Thanks all - I didn't need to do anything in the end, it sorted itself out today so I assume it was an issue with my work login. Going to mark this as resolved! Thanks for everyone's assistance, I really appreciate it.

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7