Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK752 with Netgear Nighthawk CM1200

ShellyC84
Guide

Orbi RBK752 with Netgear Nighthawk CM1200

Hi There,

I've been at this for several hours now, trying to fix this on my own, but having no luck. So the internet went out, and when I tried to check things, I discovered the Orbi states there is no internet connection. I hooked up an ethernet cable directly to my Nighthawk router, and there IS internet service coming through my router.  My Orbi, however, is not "seeing" it. 

I have gone through several troubleshooting steps, including powercycling both the modem and the Orbi, as well resetting the Orbi to factory defaults and reinstalling it, but no go. I have no idea why this happened - one second it was working fine, and now, it just doesn't recognize there is internet coming through my router. Currently, the light on the front is magenta colored.  I have also tried to update the firmware, but no luck with that either. I tried downloading the latest version from the website and manually uploading it, but all it says is "File error" and won't run it. (Currently, it's running 3.2.15.25, and I have 3.2.16.6 downloaded, but it will not install.)

I've finally managed to get the admin page to work again, and the odd things I've noticed are that the NTP settings have the date as "May 4" (funnily enough, my birthday), and it doesn't change even when I go from the default NTP to pool.ntp.org. Also, when I go to Advanced>Administration>Router Status the "Internet Port" section is just full of zeroes for the IP address, subnet, and DNS. (It IS set to get the IP address and such from the ISP, but again, it seems like it's not recognizing it's connected to the modem to get that information.)

I had posted this in another part of the forum, and they told me to repost here (I'd get better help), but one of the people asked if the LAG on my Nighthawk was enabled, and it is; and the ethernet cable from my Orbi is connected to the first slot on my modem.

It's been a cycle like this for hours no - rebooting, resetting, retrying, and I'm at a loss as to what to do next. I feel like I'm chasing my tail here. Any help would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBK752 with Netgear Nighthawk CM1200

Lets log into the CM modems web page with your mac directly connected to the modem and disable the LAG on the modem. You can access the modems web page at 192.168.100.1. When you disable the LAG on the modem, it should reboot. As it's rebooting or right after you apply the change, disconnect the Mac from the modem and connect the RBRs Internet port to the CM modems #1 WAN port. Walk thru the setup wizard with your mac and Safari and see if the RBR gets connected. A power cycle of the modem once more maybe needed. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 14

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Lets log into the CM modems web page with your mac directly connected to the modem and disable the LAG on the modem. You can access the modems web page at 192.168.100.1. When you disable the LAG on the modem, it should reboot. As it's rebooting or right after you apply the change, disconnect the Mac from the modem and connect the RBRs Internet port to the CM modems #1 WAN port. Walk thru the setup wizard with your mac and Safari and see if the RBR gets connected. A power cycle of the modem once more maybe needed. 

Message 2 of 14
ShellyC84
Guide

That worked! Thank you SO MUCH! Now I can go put a band-aid on my forehead. 😄

Message 3 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 14
yevbo23
Guide

I just purchased both the Nighthawk CM1200 and Orbi RB752. The Nighthawk CM1200 works fine - I can connect to Internet via ethernet cable from my laptop to CM1200. Orbi RB752 router is plugged into the power source, and is connected to CM1200 via ethernet cable. Yet my Orbi app on my phone still cannot connect RB752 to internet. Yes, the ethernet cable between RBK752 and CM1200 is plugged into the yellow ports #1 at both. Ethernet Port Aggregation is disabled at CM1200.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

P.S. I wouldn't have posted this comment if your suggested solution earlier in this thread did work (btw, is LAG and LACP-IEE 802.3ad (Port 1&2) same thing?)

Message 5 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Do you get internet resources and services thru the Orbi system and with other devices? 

Has a Power OFF of the CM modem and RBR for 1 minute then back on been performed.

What FW is currently loaded on the Orbi system? 

Yes. 

@yevbo23 wrote:

I just purchased both the Nighthawk CM1200 and Orbi RB752. The Nighthawk CM1200 works fine - I can connect to Internet via ethernet cable from my laptop to CM1200. Orbi RB752 router is plugged into the power source, and is connected to CM1200 via ethernet cable. Yet my Orbi app on my phone still cannot connect RB752 to internet. Yes, the ethernet cable between RBK752 and CM1200 is plugged into the yellow ports #1 at both. Ethernet Port Aggregation is disabled at CM1200.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

P.S. I wouldn't have posted this comment if your suggested solution earlier in this thread did work (btw, is LAG and LACP-IEE 802.3ad (Port 1&2) same thing?)

Message 6 of 14
yevbo23
Guide

Hello,

I get internet through CM1200, and it's a cable modem. I am assuming Orbi router (not the satellite!) should be able to access internet via my CM1200.

Correct?

Message 7 of 14
ShellyC84
Guide

I know when I was first setting up (before my original issue) I had the same problem - but I also knew why. I have an iPhone that I was doing everything through, but I’ve had a long-standing problem with my iPhone: it will not connect to any wifi but my home wifi. I have *no idea* why, and it’s been this way for years, and it’s 100% an iPhone issue. (FTR it successfully connects to whatever new wifi signal, and then immediately disconnects, even though the settings says it’s connected).

Since I knew my phone already has this issue, I used my husband’s phone (also an iPhone, but without the wifi problem), and once I used my son’s (a Samsung). So perhaps try a different phone?
Message 8 of 14
yevbo23
Guide

OK, for some reason this has been resolved - I wish I did take note of exact sequence of steps. So what I did was:

1. Connect my laptop to Orbi router with ethernet cable.

2. Set up Orbi router via web interface on my laptop.

3. On my iPhone, joined Orbi WiFi

4. At that point for some reason Comcast app/webpage popped up, saying that I needed to set up internet gateway, after entering the pin code Comcast sent me to my iPhone, the Comcast "bowels" in their backend turned and turned, and finally my iPhone was connected to Orbi WiFi.

The rest is history.

One remaining glitch though - I am having trouble connecting my laptop to my Orbi WiFi via my laptop USB WiFi adapter (Cudy WU1300S AC 1300Mbps WiFi USB 3.0 Adapter). Any suggestions?

Message 9 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Ensure the USB wifi drivers are up to date from the mfr. 

@yevbo23 wrote:

OK, for some reason this has been resolved - I wish I did take note of exact sequence of steps. So what I did was:

1. Connect my laptop to Orbi router with ethernet cable.

2. Set up Orbi router via web interface on my laptop.

3. On my iPhone, joined Orbi WiFi

4. At that point for some reason Comcast app/webpage popped up, saying that I needed to set up internet gateway, after entering the pin code Comcast sent me to my iPhone, the Comcast "bowels" in their backend turned and turned, and finally my iPhone was connected to Orbi WiFi.

The rest is history.

One remaining glitch though - I am having trouble connecting my laptop to my Orbi WiFi via my laptop USB WiFi adapter (Cudy WU1300S AC 1300Mbps WiFi USB 3.0 Adapter). Any suggestions?

Message 10 of 14
yevbo23
Guide

Still have not resolved this issue (yet).

New issue: My Roku (Roku player 3600X) will not connect to the WiFi now - even though the name of network and password are same as before. What gives?

Message 11 of 14
Mikey94025
Hero

@yevbo23 wrote:

Still have not resolved this issue (yet).

New issue: My Roku (Roku player 3600X) will not connect to the WiFi now - even though the name of network and password are same as before. What gives?

Some older 2.4Ghz devices have compatibility issues with the Orbi AX.  You can often improve compaibility by going to visiting http://orbilogin.com , Advanced... Setup... Wireless Setup, uncheck AX mode for 2.4Ghz.  You may also need to go to Advanced... Advanced... Wireless Settings and change CTS/RTS Threshold to 2347 for both bands.

Message 12 of 14
yevbo23
Guide

Hi, it might've been incorrectly set password for the WiFi network! Everything is working now as should on my Orbi WiFi mesh!

Thank you everyone for your help!

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Enjoy 😉
Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation