Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBK752 with Netgear Nighthawk CM1200

ShellyC84
Guide

Orbi RBK752 with Netgear Nighthawk CM1200

Hi There,

I've been at this for about 4 hours now, trying to fix this on my own, but having no luck. So the internet went out, and when I tried to check things, I discovered the Orbi states there is no internet connection. I hooked up an ethernet cable directly to my Nighthawk router, and there IS internet service coming through my router.  My Orbi, however, is not "seeing" it. 

I have gone through several troubleshooting steps, including powercycling both the router and the Orbi, as well resetting the Orbi to factory defaults and trying to re-install it, but no go. When reinstalling (through the app), it'll allow me to rename the wifi signal and create a password for the admin area, but after that, nothing. No matter what I do, it says there is no internet connection. I have no idea why this happened - one second it was working fine, and now, it just doesn't recognize there is internet coming through my router. At one point (before I factory reset it) the light on the front was magenta colored.  I have also tried to update the firmware, but no luck with that either. I tried downloading the latest version from the website and manually uploading it, but all it says is "File error" and won't run it. (Currently, it's running 3.2.15.25, and I have 3.2.16.6 downloaded, but it will not install.)

Anyway, I've gone through all the information I can find here in the forums, and I even got Comcast involved, but all we can figure is that the Orbi just is not recognizing the internet coming through the router. I can no longer access my admin area, either. When I manually connect my computer to the Orbi, and enter the IP address (and other settings) it redirects to a "no internet commention" page, and then tells me "To avoid a conflict with your Internet Service Provider, your router's IP address has been updated to [new IP address here]". I redo the settings, and it does it again - each time changing the IP address of my Wifi signal.  I can go no further.

It's been a cycle like this for hours no - rebooting, resetting, retrying, and I'm at a loss as to what to do next. I feel like I'm chasing my tail here. Any help would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

All Replies
Mstrbig
Master

Message 2 of 8
ShellyC84
Guide

Okay. Thank you . I guess I have to wait an hour to do so though. 🙂

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

While your waiting, Is LAG enabled on the CM1200 modem? 

What port are you using to connect the RBR750 to the 1200 modem? Port #1 on the CM1200 modem needs to be used for the RBR750.

Power OFF the CM modem for 30 seconds then back on. Then walk thru the setup wizard on the RBR using a wired PC and web browser. This should get you going. 

The CM1200 is a modem only, not a router. Just because it has 4 ethernet ports in back doesn't mean its a router. Those are WAN ports. 

@ShellyC84 wrote:

Hi There,

I've been at this for about 4 hours now, trying to fix this on my own, but having no luck. So the internet went out, and when I tried to check things, I discovered the Orbi states there is no internet connection. I hooked up an ethernet cable directly to my Nighthawk router, and there IS internet service coming through my router.  My Orbi, however, is not "seeing" it. 

I have gone through several troubleshooting steps, including powercycling both the router and the Orbi, as well resetting the Orbi to factory defaults and trying to re-install it, but no go. When reinstalling (through the app), it'll allow me to rename the wifi signal and create a password for the admin area, but after that, nothing. No matter what I do, it says there is no internet connection. I have no idea why this happened - one second it was working fine, and now, it just doesn't recognize there is internet coming through my router. At one point (before I factory reset it) the light on the front was magenta colored.  I have also tried to update the firmware, but no luck with that either. I tried downloading the latest version from the website and manually uploading it, but all it says is "File error" and won't run it. (Currently, it's running 3.2.15.25, and I have 3.2.16.6 downloaded, but it will not install.)

Anyway, I've gone through all the information I can find here in the forums, and I even got Comcast involved, but all we can figure is that the Orbi just is not recognizing the internet coming through the router. I can no longer access my admin area, either. When I manually connect my computer to the Orbi, and enter the IP address (and other settings) it redirects to a "no internet commention" page, and then tells me "To avoid a conflict with your Internet Service Provider, your router's IP address has been updated to [new IP address here]". I redo the settings, and it does it again - each time changing the IP address of my Wifi signal.  I can go no further.

It's been a cycle like this for hours no - rebooting, resetting, retrying, and I'm at a loss as to what to do next. I feel like I'm chasing my tail here. Any help would be appreciated.

Message 4 of 8
ShellyC84
Guide

Yes, LAG is enabled.

The Orbi is connected to the modem (sorry for the incorrect terminology - I do know the Orbi is the router) connected in the first ethernet port. 

I've done the powering off of the modem several times - even got Comcast in there to do a fresh reboot on it.  Every time I walk through the setup wizard through the app, it will not finish because there's "no internet connection". 

When I use an ethernet cable hooked to my Mac (I don't own a PC), I can get to the admin page (finally), but the NTP is weird, because it says it's "May 4, 2020" (which it is not - and now I'm getting a message that says "Warning: The Router failed to connect to NTP server, please check your internet connectivity or try another NTP server" - this happens whether I use the default NTP or the pool.ntp.org), and there's still no internet connection.

Thanks!

@FURRYe38 wrote:

While your waiting, Is LAG enabled on the CM1200 modem? 

What port are you using to connect the RBR750 to the 1200 modem? Port #1 on the CM1200 modem needs to be used for the RBR750.

Power OFF the CM modem for 30 seconds then back on. Then walk thru the setup wizard on the RBR using a wired PC and web browser. This should get you going. 

The CM1200 is a modem only, not a router. Just because it has 4 ethernet ports in back doesn't mean its a router. Those are WAN ports. 

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 6 of 8
ShellyC84
Guide

I was just coming to link that, and you beat me to it 🙂 Thanks again!

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink Enjoy. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements