Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBK753 Speedtest at 900+ Mbps but devices connected to 5Ghz don’t exceed 600 Mbps

Jermsalerms
Aspirant

Orbi RBK753 Speedtest at 900+ Mbps but devices connected to 5Ghz don’t exceed 600 Mbps

I have FIOS Gigabit. I have the Orbi RBK753 router connected directly to the ONT. Using the Speedtest in the Orbi app on my iPhone I always see the Orbi router itself getting 950+ Mbps upload and 880+ Mbps download. However when I do a Speedtest from a device that is connecting to the router over 5GHz like my iPhone 11 or my MacBook Pro 16 (2019) I am never able to exceed 500 Mbps upload and 620 Mbps download. I am standing 3 feet away from the main router when I get these speeds. If I move to a location 20 feet away from the main router but 3 feet from the satellite my speed vary incredibly from as low as 20 - 500 Mbps up and down. I have selected the option button on the Mac when selecting my WiFi icon and I see I am connected to 5 GHz every time. I was expecting based on the specifications that if connected to the 5GHz I would expect to see about the same speeds as the router gets from the internet (upwards of 900 Mbps). I can even have 2 identical MacBook Pro models next to each other and one will see a 100Mbps speed while the other gets 500Mbps.

1. I thought if the router was getting 900Mbps and I was connected to the 5GHz I would see similar speeds. Isn’t that to be expected?

2.What could be causing the wide ranges of speeds between devices when they are connecting to the satellites?

Also, I do notice in the orbi app that my iPhone and two different MacBook pros all have a different “link rate”. I am not sure what this is or why they would be different.

Also, I am not speed testing all the devices at the same time. I am doing them one at a time.
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Mikey94025
Hero

Re: Orbi RBK753 Speedtest at 900+ Mbps but devices connected to 5Ghz don’t exceed 600 Mbps

@Jermsalerms wrote:
1. I thought if the router was getting 900Mbps and I was connected to the 5GHz I would see similar speeds. Isn’t that to be expected?

Unfortunately no.  Wireless speeds will be substantially less, especially if your devices are not connecting via WiFi 6 (AX) since 5ghz AC speeds will be even less than AX.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Community-FAQ-My-Orbi-speeds-are-slow-inconsistent-and-don-...:

• Only some phones currently support AX (Wi-Fi 6) and will benefit from the Orbi AX's higher speed capabilities - Maximum real world AC speeds will be in the 500s-600s whereas maximum AX speeds can go higher.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
Mikey94025
Hero

@Jermsalerms wrote:

Unfortunately no.  Wireless speeds will be substantially less, especially if your devices are not connecting via WiFi 6 (AX) since 5ghz AC speeds will be even less than AX.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Community-FAQ-My-Orbi-speeds-are-slow-inconsistent-and-don-...:

• Only some phones currently support AX (Wi-Fi 6) and will benefit from the Orbi AX's higher speed capabilities - Maximum real world AC speeds will be in the 500s-600s whereas maximum AX speeds can go higher.

Message 2 of 4
Jermsalerms
Aspirant

Does that mean that the AX6000 is going to be capped at the same 500-600 Mbps over 5GHz that I am seeing on the AX4200 using the devices I have or would it be worth upgrading?
Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7