Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBK753 very slow WiFi speeds after software update

Manny_B
Tutor

Orbi RBK753 very slow WiFi speeds after software update

I have a 1gb internet service from virgin media and have put the Virgin media router into modem mode and the Orbi RBK753 into router mode on the ground floor.

all worked great until I updated to the firmware version V4.6.3.7_2.0.49 where before I got WiFi speeds of 500-700mb, I'm now getting 20mb at best on the router and satellites. I've now switched off the satellites and I've tested on multiple devices and I'm getting the same speeds. I've also switched off both the VM and orbi router and it's the same result.

please confirm if anyone has encountered such issues and if they've managed to resolve it.

Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Feel free to post your experiences in this thread:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/New-RBK752-753-Firmware-Version-4-6-3-7-Released/m-p/211928...

Did you continue to use the system after FW was updated or did you power OFF the system for 30 seconds then back ON or was there a factory reset and setup from scratch performed? 

How was FW updated? Orbi app? Manually or Auto update? 

Message 2 of 9
Manny_B
Tutor

I updated the FW from the orbi app and after that I continued to use the system but saw download speed hitting 20mb at best.

I then did a factory reset and the speeds improved dramatically. But still I perform a speed test on the orbi app and get around 500mb whereas before it was hitting 900mb.

any recommendations for tweaking the settings form the admin webpage? Or anything else I should do?

many thanks 

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Thats now a know issue that NG needs to fix on this version of FW. 
Just be sure your getting to spec speeds wtih a external installable speed test on a PC or mobile device. 

Message 4 of 9
Manny_B
Tutor

Right, so what your saying is that there’s no way around this and that we have to wait on NG for a fix?

Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

IT only effects the speed results on the speed test app. Actual speeds should be good thru external speed test apps. 
NG has been make aware of this issue. 

Message 6 of 9
Manny_B
Tutor

Have your speeds been affected much seeing that you have a similar setup to mine?

After I performed a reset, as I mentioned the speeds semantically improved but plummeted to 20mb again on the independent speed app by ookla when I adjusted the settings on the admin page as I did before to my personal requirements.

What a mess this is
Message 7 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

I don't have the 7 series and v4 FW so I can't compare. 

Message 8 of 9
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Manny_B

Please check your inbox. I have sent you a message requesting for more information. 

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7