Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBK753S - Devices keep disconnecting and reconnecting

randomtask
Tutor

Orbi RBK753S - Devices keep disconnecting and reconnecting

I recently installed the Orbi RBK753S mesh system with one wireless satellite and one backhauled satellite and while my coverage and speeds have increased over my previous setup, I keep getting notifications from my smart devices throughout the day that they are dropping connection and re-connecting within about a minute of dropping.  I'm wondering if this may be due to the satellites passing the devices back and forth between each other or if this may be indicative of a bigger problem?  If it's a case of the former, is there a way to lock devices to a specific satellite so it doesn't get passed around and have intermittent connectivity?

Message 1 of 29

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 17 of 29

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, and IPv6

Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Be sure to check your CTS and RTS values. If they are at 64, please change both to 2347. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 29
randomtask
Tutor

Thanks for the response!

I'm on v3.2.18.1_1.4.14 and including the basement it's about 2450 square feet.  I have Metronet Fiber for internet using a Nokia modem (ONT 3FE56389ABBG). 

I have one satellite on each floor between the basement, main floor, and second floor on alternating corners of the house so they are at least 30 feet apart.  Right now 2.4GHz is set to Auto while 5GHz is set to 48.  I usually do not see any neighbor's WiFi networks, though they show up every once in a while but typically one if any.

I will try your suggestions, though I'm not certain what the implications are of some of these settings... ha!  

Message 3 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

Keep us posted...

Message 4 of 29
randomtask
Tutor

I made the suggested changes last night before going to bed and it actually made matters significantly worse.  Previously, this particular device may give me 1-2 notifications in the matter of 24 hours but just while I was asleep it lost connectivity 6 times.  The behavior is the same with it reconnecting within about a minute.  We have a WiFi baby monitor that also dropped connection 3 times overnight, which up until last night never had this issue.  This August Front Door device is actually in a line of sight with one of the satellites so I know this is not an issue of signal.

vj13b6o

Message 5 of 29
randomtask
Tutor

It would seem like this forum tries to help you post images and consequently breaks and malfunctions... so here is a link to the screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/TrQZAZA.jpg

Message 6 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

Is AX mode enabled or disabled on the RBR? 

What is the current CTS value setting? 

What channels are you using currently? 

Message 7 of 29
randomtask
Tutor

AX is enabled for both bands and I have CTS/RTS Threshold set to 2347 as previously suggested for both bands.  2.4GHz was previously set to auto and I switched it last night to 6.  5GHz is currently set to 48.  

Message 8 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

Try disabling AX on 2.4Ghz...

Message 9 of 29
randomtask
Tutor

For the sake of troubleshooting, I will give this a shot... however with AX being a main feature of this system I would hope it's not necessary to disable it in order for the system to work properly.  Will follow up after some time!

Message 10 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you get access to the beta FW? 

Message 11 of 29
randomtask
Tutor

No, I was not aware of a Beta program.  Is that something you'd recommend I pursue?

Message 12 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

Lets give that a try at least. Send @Christian_R a PM

Message 13 of 29
randomtask
Tutor

Thanks for the suggestion - I have PM'ed him and will await his reply.  I appreciate your assistance and diligence!

Message 14 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 15 of 29
randomtask
Tutor

I haven't gotten a response back regarding the beta firmware yet.  Are there any other avenues to request it?

Message 16 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 17 of 29
randomtask
Tutor

Thanks for that - I have installed that firmware and will see how things go... so far devices have continued to disconnect and reconnect even with AX turned off on the 2.4 band.  Let me know if there are any changes you suggest on the new firmware, otherwise I'll just report back!

Message 18 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

Quick question, do you see any Parental Controls on the RBRs web page, if so, can you attach a screen capture for us? 

Message 19 of 29
randomtask
Tutor

I did see Smart Parental Controls mentioned in the firmware notes, but I'm not seeing anything referring to it when I log into the router when I traverse through the different menus.  If you tell me specifically where it should be located I can tell you for certain if it's there or not.

Message 20 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

Look under the Basic Tab for Parental Controls menu option? 

Or Try under Advanced Tab/Security?

There maybe a Upgrade to Netgear SPC button seen here? 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Smart-Home-Parental/New-RBK752-753-Firmware-Version-4-6-3-7...

Please check Orbi app to see if anything appears there? 

Message 21 of 29
randomtask
Tutor

Nope, not seeing anything like in your screenshot or mention of parental controls under Advanced -> Security.  The web interface also seems quite a bit slower than before, though I won't complain about that if performance/stability improves - so far my device did not disconnect/reconnect overnight.

L7B2Ymc

https://i.imgur.com/L7B2Ymc.png

Message 22 of 29
tak1313
Luminary

@randomtask wrote:

I made the suggested changes last night before going to bed and it actually made matters significantly worse.  Previously, this particular device may give me 1-2 notifications in the matter of 24 hours but just while I was asleep it lost connectivity 6 times.  The behavior is the same with it reconnecting within about a minute.  We have a WiFi baby monitor that also dropped connection 3 times overnight, which up until last night never had this issue.  This August Front Door device is actually in a line of sight with one of the satellites so I know this is not an issue of signal.

vj13b6o

Don't know if it's direclty related, but when I was looking for a smart lock, the August system was one of they ones I was researching.  When I research reviews, I look at the NEGATIVE ones first to see if there's any consistent issue that people complain about.

For the August, I opted NOT to go that route because of all the reviews complaining about how it consistently drops connection to the network.

Message 23 of 29
randomtask
Tutor

A valid observation, but it has been rock solid up until I replaced my Nighthawk with the Orbi system.  Not only that, but there are several devices that have been exhibiting this behavior - the August was just the only device that I had a simple way of conveying the behavior via the app's push alerts.

Other devices that have exhibited dropping connection include my Nintendo Switch, Wemo light switches/smart plug, Amazon Echo Dots (2-3 at various locations throughout the house), and a Craftsman Garage Door opener (I have two and one specifically would keep dropping/reconnecting).  

Message 24 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, thanks for checking. 

Will see if NG can provide some information on this.

@Christian_R 

@randomtask wrote:

Nope, not seeing anything like in your screenshot or mention of parental controls under Advanced -> Security.  The web interface also seems quite a bit slower than before, though I won't complain about that if performance/stability improves - so far my device did not disconnect/reconnect overnight.

L7B2Ymc

https://i.imgur.com/L7B2Ymc.png

Message 25 of 29
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 28 replies
  • 13 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7