Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK753S Issues with always dropping ethernet speeds to 100Mbps

n3rdftw
Follower

Orbi RBK753S Issues with always dropping ethernet speeds to 100Mbps

I've seen several similar posts - but no one seems to have a real fix - 

I have a brand new set of Orbi RBK753S-100NAS from Costco (Orbi RBR-750 set with Firmware Version 3.2.18.1) - but getting lots of ethernet speed issues. 

One set of ultra short CAT 5E ethernet cables works fine - but my nice long cat 6 cable only gets 100Mbps when directed wired into the Orbi. (On occasion - after a reboot, it'll briefly be 1000Mbps but then drop back down to 100Mbps shortly after)

This cable gets me 1000Mbps on my old Apple AirPort Extreme and another Nighthawk I tried out. Also, this cable gives my laptop 1000Mbps when it is connected to a gigabit switch downstream of the Orbi as well - indicating there is nothing wrong with this ethernet cable.

Reading thru some extra google results seem to show this is a common problem on Orbis - but they never really clarify why this is happening - other than to offer some random suggestion to buy new cables - is there a fix available or do Orbis just have really bad or ridiculously sensitive or error prone ethernet controllers?

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBK753S Issues with always dropping ethernet speeds to 100Mbps

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX product. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AX and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Thank you.

Message 2 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@n3rdftw wrote:

Reading thru some extra google results seem to show this is a common problem on Orbis - but they never really clarify why this is happening - other than to offer some random suggestion to buy new cables - is there a fix available or do Orbis just have really bad or ridiculously sensitive or error prone ethernet controllers?

Does the issue occur no matter which Orbi RJ45 jack this cable is connected to?

100BASE-TX requires two pairs of cable and 1000BASE-TX requires four pairs of cable.  If even one of the tiny wires inside the RJ45 jack is not making contact, it cannot connect at 1000BASE-TX.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

I would not mix CAT versions for cabling. Either use 5e or all 6. 

Possible bad cable as well. 

@n3rdftw wrote:

I've seen several similar posts - but no one seems to have a real fix - 

I have a brand new set of Orbi RBK753S-100NAS from Costco (Orbi RBR-750 set with Firmware Version 3.2.18.1) - but getting lots of ethernet speed issues. 

One set of ultra short CAT 5E ethernet cables works fine - but my nice long cat 6 cable only gets 100Mbps when directed wired into the Orbi. (On occasion - after a reboot, it'll briefly be 1000Mbps but then drop back down to 100Mbps shortly after)

This cable gets me 1000Mbps on my old Apple AirPort Extreme and another Nighthawk I tried out. Also, this cable gives my laptop 1000Mbps when it is connected to a gigabit switch downstream of the Orbi as well - indicating there is nothing wrong with this ethernet cable.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7