Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBK753S PS4, Hulu, iPhone WhatsApp and Phone Calls in general, iPad repeated disconnects

NE1L
Aspirant

Orbi RBK753S PS4, Hulu, iPhone WhatsApp and Phone Calls in general, iPad repeated disconnects

My previous router was the Deco M9 Plus. I needed a router that could support 1200mbps. I got the Orbi RBK753S off Costco. I installed without issues but for the last few days, I have been having connectivity issues on specific devices in the household. In particular,

• a iPhone XR that cannot maintain a call like WhatsApp and Messenger, Whatsapp messages is a issue as well (like the messages aren't coming in even though I can see it on WhatsApp Web)
  • PS4 Slim generally (Gaming and Streaming shows)
  • Hulu in particular on the PS4 and on a Samsung Smart TV (less on the TV, more on the PS4)
  • iPad Air that needs to forget the network daily in order to connect to the internet.
    All these things did not happen on the Deco M9 Plus. All windows devices seem to work fine. All Samsung devices also work fine.

Also some of the devices cannot seem to connect to the main network but work fine on the guest network but it isn't a problem for me. Seems to be older devices like the TV and the PS4 and the iPad. No, there is no daily timer thing before they get kicked off the network. All devices can stay indefinitely from what I can tell.

The modem is in Bridge Mode and Orbi is in Router Mode. 

Other odd thing I noticed, if the port scan from Netgear Armor gets blocked by the device firewall, the device will not be able to access the internet. Kind of a pain to disable port scans each time.

The

Any idea what's wrong?

Model: Orbi RBK753S AX4200

Hardware Version: RBR750

Firmware Version: v3.2.18.1_1,4,14

Provider: Xfinity

Speeds: 1200mbps down/40mbps up

Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBK753S PS4, Hulu, iPhone WhatsApp and Phone Calls in general, iPad repeated disconnects

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set CTS to 2347. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/RBK753S-update-Rock-solid-in-terms-of-speed-and-stability-s...

Message 2 of 10
NE1L
Aspirant

Hey again, you answered the previous post I made in the wrong community. 

Size of the house is 3500 Sq Ft. It's a long split level house and it's on the older side built with thicker materials. The lights on the orbi were blue in the placing of it so I am assuming it is ok. 

Channels for 2.4Ghz is 1 and 5Ghz being 48.

No Wifi neighbors and if there is one, its on a corner of a house that isn't used with 1 bar. 

WMM already enabled.

Disabled Armor because port scans were a bit painful to deal to begin with, never had Circle to begin with. 

I would like to hear a bit more details on 20/40MHz Coexistence and why it should be disabled? Also why is Short preamble better than Long (It is on auto right now)? Any particular reason why the CTS should be at 2347 (currently at 64)?

Thanks for the help.

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

@NE1L wrote:

Hey again, you answered the previous post I made in the wrong community. 

Size of the house is 3500 Sq Ft. It's a long split level house and it's on the older side built with thicker materials. The lights on the orbi were blue in the placing of it so I am assuming it is ok. 

Would be good to know actual approximate distance please. Having RBR and RBS too close to each other can cause problems. 

Channels for 2.4Ghz is 1 and 5Ghz being 48.

No Wifi neighbors and if there is one, its on a corner of a house that isn't used with 1 bar. 

WMM already enabled.

Disabled Armor because port scans were a bit painful to deal to begin with, never had Circle to begin with. 

I would like to hear a bit more details on 20/40MHz Coexistence and why it should be disabled? Also why is Short preamble better than Long (It is on auto right now)? Any particular reason why the CTS should be at 2347 (currently at 64)?

Most newer devices can use 40Mhz and since you don't have any nieghbors, you don't have to use 20Mhz so forcing 40Mhz will help devices perform a bit better. We've seen some odd problems with CTS set to 64. Historically CTS has always been 2347, however on Orbi AX has now chosen to set 64. I had been using 64 as well however after having problems with one of my NEST controllers, after getting CTS to 2347, its now working way better than before. 

Message 4 of 10
NE1L
Aspirant

I would 75-100 feet to the first satellite going through 1-2 walls. Maybe, 150-200 feet to the second satellite going through maybe 3-5 walls. Since the house is long, it's router, satellite, satellite. Not satellite, router, satellite orbit system.

I changed the CTS for both to 2347. I was a bit unsure how to force 40MHz though. I just unchecked the coexistence box.
Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. At thos distance, it maybe a bit far. usually 60 feet max around that range...

Let us know if the changes help any...

Message 6 of 10
NE1L
Aspirant

So I took 3 days with the new settings. iPhone XR is still having issues with WhatsApp, Facebook, and Youtube now. It also has a lot of dropped calls now. PS4, Samsung TV, iPad seem to be fixed at the moment.  Now Xfinity Flex is having issues with random pauses every 30 minutes saying there is no internet (both on wifi and ethernet). Internet wireless is faster than ethernet which is kinda weird because im in the same spot with no background applications going on with the tests. 

Any thoughts?

Edit: forgot to mention the random reboots throughout the day is a bit of a pain. Never had random reboots with the Deco M9 Plus. 

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

At thos distance, it maybe a bit far. usually 60 feet max around that range...

Message 8 of 10
NE1L
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

At thos distance, it maybe a bit far. usually 60 feet max around that range...

Look, I understand but that does not help. Speeds are stable and the location according to the orbis are white while setting up so i assume that it is ok in those locations. 

Message 9 of 10
Trafer543
Aspirant

I understand but that does not assist. Speeds are strong and the region in line with the orbis are white whilst setting up so I assume that it's far good enough in the ones locations.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7