Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBK753S -

njweb
Luminary

Orbi RBK753S -

I have two issues with my Orbi RBK753S:

I used the recommended 'online update' (as opposed to 'manual') method to successfully update my RBK753 router's firmware from V3.2.16.22 to V3.2.18.1 successfully

However my satellites are having issues:

Issue 1 is resolved; skip to issue 2 in red

1) (Shows as 'Satellite 2' in table below):

The firmware update from V3.2.16.22 to V3.2.18.1 is failing REPEATEDLY for one of my Orbi RBS753 satellites (other one I do not even know what firmware it is on since the GUI shows nothing (see issue 2 below).

Even after 'update all', it still shows the firmware as V3.2.16.22 and shows V3.2.18.1 is available!!!

So I selected just that one satellite individually ( using the checkbox) and it still shows as the old one 3.2.16.22 snd 3.2.18.1 available! 

Then as a 3rd  option, I tried the manual update with same unsuccessful result!

Issue 2) (Shows as 'Satellite 1' in table below):

Also the other satellite shows blanks for both 'model name' and for 'current firmware version' in GUI, so I do not even know what firmware it is on. 😞

Although the status column shows "no new firmware available", so I could perhaps unsafely assume it was updated to the latest firmware, but I do not trust the UI...

Model Name Device Name Current Firmware Version Status
RouterRBR750RBR750V3.2.18.1No New Firmware Available
Satellite Orbi Satellite-1 No New Firmware Available
SatelliteRBS750Orbi Satellite-2V3.2.18.1No New Firmware Available

Message 1 of 16
njweb
Luminary

Issue with 'Satellite-2' is resolved after rebooting router via UI.

So the remaining issue is the other satellite is showing blanks for 'model name' and current firmware version'.

I have started a new thread since the subject of this thread cannot be edited and it also got truncated - subject only shows 'RBK753S -' which is not what I wanted and people (with a similar issue) may ignore / never read the thread.

When I noticed the subject is incorrect, it was too late to edit it (edit time limit expired)...

Update table - see first satellite in red - 2nd and 4th columns are blank!
Satellite Orbi Satellite-1 No New Firmware Available

Message 2 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Always check the RBS web page for FW update information and status. 

Message 3 of 16
njweb
Luminary

Thanks, I am already on the latest firmware 3.2.18.1 and already tried all three update methods - see below. 

(I started this new thread since the subject on my other thread got truncated and could no longer be edited by the time I realized it and I forgot to repeat that in this thread).

I tried all of the following:

1. 'Online update' option, then 'update all'

2. 'Online update' option, then selected just that satellite and updated it.

3. Manual update for that satellite.

The following separate issue appears resolved itself after restarting the satellites manually and waiting for the magenta LED rings to finally disappear...

I will monitor device connectivity later on today to see they are being optimally routed to the satellite with the strongest signal.

I am also noticing that ALL my devices across 3 floors are now connecting only to the router! Frustrating; never experienced that with my RBK53 😞

Despite the speed improvement with the RBK753S in my room where the router is and on other side of the same floor, I may have to go back to my RBK53 (good thing I did not sell the RBK53 yet)...

Message 4 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you power OFF the Orbi AX units for 30 seconds then back ON after the update? 

A factory reset maybe needed as well. 

Message 5 of 16
njweb
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Did you power OFF the Orbi AX units for 30 seconds then back ON after the update? 

A factory reset maybe needed as well. 

I powered both satellites off for at least 30 seconds and the magenta rings finally disappeared; also devices are being routed to both satellites (not sure it is optimal yet, but will give time for things to stabilize).

But now, suddenly, the firmware version IS displayed for 'Satellite 1' (note - model number is still showing blank for that satellite), BUT it still shows the old firmware (3.2.16.22), yet says "No New Firmware Available"!!!

Argh!

I then tried to manually (again) update the firmware for that satellite but (although it is apprently able to connect to that satellite to confirm which firmware version it is on when I go to the main firmware check page on the Admin GUI), it won't connect to that satellite for the update itself:

"This site can’t be reached 192.168.x.x took too long to respond.
Try:

Checking the connection
Checking the proxy and the firewall
Running Windows Network Diagnostics
ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT

Satellite Orbi Satellite-1V3.2.16.22No New Firmware Available

Message 6 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you wire connect a PC to the RBS and access the RBS web page there? 

Might give some time and check back later on this evening to see if the status changes. 

Message 7 of 16
njweb
Luminary

Getting really frustrated now:

Speedtest yesterday with fw 3.2.16 (on both Monday and yesterday after a reboot [after that connectivity issue in AM), I was consistently getting 400 - 450 Mbps down); now I am getting 1/3 of that speed on fw 3.2.18.x; this is across various speedtest servers, including my ISP's server which was used for yesterday's speed tests!

This is with the laptop that is less than a foot from the router!

I have had my other Orbi (RBK53 AC3000) for 2 1/2 years and it was consistent in terms of connectivity and speed and I almost never rebooted that system!!!

Back to my RBK753S, I can try firmware 3.2.16.x again or 3.2.17.x and check my downstream speeds (although the newest fw - 3.2.18.x has additional security fixes according to release notes)...

If rebooting again and / or downgrading firmware does not help get normal speeds back, I may have to consider either replacing this with another one (just in case it is somehow a hardware issue - which I tend to doubt) or return it for refund.

Message 8 of 16
njweb
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Can you wire connect a PC to the RBS and access the RBS web page there? 

Might give some time and check back later on this evening to see if the status changes. 

Let me try that later.

In meantime, also concerned with speeds now. Can't reboot yet since wife is on a work call and I also don't like going offline for work too often either - will be joining another call shortly.

Will wait for a logical break and reboot again (and / or factory reset).

Message 9 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Lets try a factory reset on the RBR and setup from scratch and when you do this, also power OFF the ISP modem/ONT for 30 seconds then back on. Walk thru the setup wizard and don't enable any Traffic Meter, Armor or access controls. Go in and run a quick speed test with a wired PC connected to the RBR.

Message 10 of 16
njweb
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Lets try a factory reset on the RBR and setup from scratch and when you do this, also power OFF the ISP modem/ONT for 30 seconds then back on. Walk thru the setup wizard and don't enable any Traffic Meter, Armor or access controls. Go in and run a quick speed test with a wired PC connected to the RBR.

Yup, thanks, will try all this later when I get a chance.

In the meantime (did this before you posted the above reply):

Update about the firmware and display issues (no update regarding my "1/3 speed issue" yet)

Well, there seems to definitely a display issue (can't believe Netgear code is this sloppy), when I try to upgrade the satellite where the 'model name' is blank which is another issue, as mentioned), it now connects but despite the display showing it is on 3.2.16.x (table I posted in earlier messages above), the manual update tool says I am already on 3.2.18.x (see below):

• Warning! The firmware you are trying to upload is the same as the one you had.
    Do you still want to continue?
  • Current Firmware Version V3.2.18.1_1.4.14
  • New Version V3.2.18.1_1.4.14

Message 11 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible the RBRs status web page hasn't updated and either needs time or a reset will resolve it.

This just in:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/New-Firmware-Version-3-2-18-1-for-RBR750-RBS750-Series-Rele...

Message 12 of 16
njweb
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Possible the RBRs status web page hasn't updated and either needs time or a reset will resolve it.

This just in:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/New-Firmware-Version-3-2-18-1-for-RBR750-RBS750-Series-Rele...

Thanks for all the replies.

I hope so... Fingers crossed.

If a factory reset does not do the trick, I will downgrade to 3.2.17.x and if that does not help at least for getting speed back to 440 - 450 Mbps (can live with blank model name and firmware display issues for the time being), I may try swapping it for a replacement unit to rule out bad hardware (although I doubt it is a hardware issue).

Am I the only one with these display issues (note - this was happening even when I was on 3.2.16.x)?

Recap of display issues for any new readers:

- blank 'model name' for one satellite

- 'current firmware version' for the same satellite was blank; it is now displayed but reflects an incorrect version number

Speed frankly is obviously the more concerning issue, but let me try a factory reset and walk through setup again...

PS: Speaking of initial setup, the mobile app was having issues on final detection step on Sunday; so after about an hour I figured it might be due to the app and not my set up. Sure enough, as soon as I switched to using my laptop via the webpage to set the Orbi up, it quickly worked fine so the app (Android version at least) has issues for setup (app does work once the Obi is configured)...

Message 13 of 16
njweb
Luminary

Some GOOD news: after rebooting AGAIN, the display issues are mysteriously resolved!

SatelliteRBS750Orbi Satellite-1V3.2.18.1No New Firmware Available

The bad news is that, despite the reboot, speed is not fully resolved.

With my ISP's server selected manually in Speedtest (for an apples to apples comparison), after the Orbi reboot (again) it is now much better, but still slower than it should be...

Edit - I rebooted my cable modem too for good measure.

No help.

Let me test an actual download...

Message 14 of 16
njweb
Luminary

Update with a lot of good news:

Well, what a difference from a couple of hours ago. 🙂

1. Display issues resolved (as noted above).

2. After rebooting router and also rebooting cable modem for good measure, my "download speeds issue" might also be resolved (will monitor for rest of the day) - Rather than rely on using speedtest.net which seems to be having issues today in terms of speeds being underreported, even with my ISP's server, I decided to test an actual download and, while it does fluctuate quite a bit during the download, I am getting up to 450 Mbps which is what I have been seeing recently since first testing it Monday after getting my RBK753S and setting it up late Sunday night (ISP tier is officially 400 Mbps, but they always over provision). 

Will keep an eye on it, but a lot happier than earlier today!!!

Message 15 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements