Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBK763S - Costco - Replacing RBK53

globespy
Apprentice

Orbi RBK763S - Costco - Replacing RBK53

After the most recent FW was pushed to my devices (without me having any say in the matter), my entire RBK53 system is dysfunctional, replacing multiple devices IP addresses with IP starting '172.' 
This is despite these devices having been setup to have the same static LAN IP address for years.
Right now one of the Orbi RBS50 satellites sports a '172.' IP address and of course shows as 'config sync' and completely unusable - so it's applying this useless IP address to it's own hardware!!

Called support, like talking to stooges, denying they have ever heard about such issues, despite informing them it's been reported on their own community forums here!

Thankfully Costco will honor a full return of router products regardless of the fact I've had them for over 3 years, so I will at least get my money back that I can put into something else. 
They currently sell the RBK763S which seems like an upgrade/downgrade of the RBK752 using a dual core processor, oddly huge cache (why?) and seems like a Costco exclusive product because I cannot find any reviews anywhere?

I can't be without a router system, so I have to pick something quickly.
Would the RBK763S be a good replacement, or is it still a hunk of buggy garbage??

I can order anything from Amazon and have delivered tomorrow then cover the cost with the refund from Costco, so it there's something better for $499 that's not Netgear, I would appreciate some assistance as I am extremely hesitant to purchase another Netgear product as their customer service and post-sales support has to be some of the worst in the industry....period.
I have a 3 level 5500sq ft home, with ethernet access in most rooms for backhaul.

Appreciate any recommendations

Message 1 of 19
globespy
Apprentice

RBK763s (Costco) - replacing FW (2.7.4.24) borked RBK53? Bad Idea? Choose another manufacturer?

After the most recent FW was pushed to my devices (without me having any say in the matter), my entire RBK53 system is dysfunctional, replacing multiple devices IP addresses with IP starting '172.' 
This is despite these devices having been setup to have the same static LAN IP address for years.
Right now one of the Orbi RBS50 satellites sports a '172.' IP address and of course shows as 'config sync' and completely unusable - so it's applying this useless IP address to it's own hardware!!

I've tried everything, including downgrading FW to much earlier versions, but the same issues persist which makes me thinkg that there's been a corruption in the software that doesn't seem to care about full factory resets - safety pin waiting for amber flashing power LED then allowing the units to reset/unplugging for 3-10 minutes. Wasted over a day on this and can no longer try to fix something that I do not think is fixable.

Called support, like talking to stooges, denying they have ever heard about such issues, despite informing them it's been reported on their own community forums here!

Thankfully Costco will honor a full return of router products regardless of the fact I've had them for over 3 years, so I will at least get my money back that I can put into something else. 
They currently sell the RBK763S which seems like an upgrade/downgrade of the RBK752 using a dual core processor, oddly huge cache (why?) and seems like a Costco exclusive product because I cannot find any reviews anywhere?

I can't be without a router system, so I have to pick something quickly.
Would the RBK763S be a good replacement, or is it still a hunk of buggy garbage??

The Asus XT8 seems like a good product?

I can order anything from Amazon and have delivered tomorrow then cover the cost with the refund from Costco, so it there's something better for $499 that's not Netgear, I would appreciate some assistance as I am extremely hesitant to purchase another Netgear product as their customer service and post-sales support has to be some of the worst in the industry....period.
I have a 3 level 5500sq ft home, with ethernet access in most rooms for backhaul.

Appreciate any recommendations

Message 2 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 3 of 19
globespy
Apprentice

Thanks for the link.

Any thoughts on why it's assigning these '172.' IP address ranges to both satellites and various devices (it seems to just change whenever it likes)?

PS - not sure what that post has to do with the RBK763s?
Looks like he was trying to pair older series with new, but didn't really mention whether he was even happy with the RBK763s since  he was more concerned about adding it to his other Orbi's from different generations

Message 4 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

I suppose you can set up a 172 IP address subnet. I would recommend trying the default 192.168.1.# first. 

I personally use 192.168.0.100 to .150 since I only have limited amount of devices. I don't seen the entire .254 range

Message 5 of 19
globespy
Apprentice

I never use ISP devices since they are 'all-in-one' router/modems.

I purchased Motorola MB8611

Not sure about what you mean by setting up subnet? I can't do/change anything on the modem, it's just a 'dumb' device that passes through the signal?

Message 6 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok.  Just checking.  

Try the default IP address string first...

Message 7 of 19
globespy
Apprentice

What do you mean by this?

Sorry if I'm not understanding

Message 8 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Just try the default out of the box IP address range. 

You can setup IP address reservations for the RBS and your devices. 

How many devices do you have in total? 

Message 9 of 19
globespy
Apprentice

When you say try 'out of the box', isn't that what I would already be doing since I haven't touched any of the subnet stuff?

I have less than 25 devices including the 2 satellites, one of which won't work because it is using a '172.' IP address:

globespy_0-1653605627220.png

Message 10 of 19
globespy
Apprentice

Also, when I setup '192.168.1.XX' IP addresses in DHCP server, it still ignores them and assigns '172.' addresses regardless.

Message 11 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

All Orbi systems are default 192.168.1.1 out of the box. 

Did you set up or Orbi 50 series for the 172 pool string. Even the 50 series factory defaults are 192.1681.1.

Message 12 of 19
globespy
Apprentice

I can assign a 192.168.1.xx to any device, and it shows as that in the IP address table, but when I look at attached devices one of the satellites still shows as 172.27.35.65 and of course unable to sync. 
Why is it even using this IP address range? I've never heard of it in my life, so certainly would never have purposely set such a range?
I've read that 172 is for private devices that are not able to be found on the internet?
So how did this range get into my Orbi, and remain there after multiple factory resets/FW upgrades and downgrades?

Message 13 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like you need to factory reset the 50 series RBR and RBS and setup from scratch. Something is not right on that system. 

Something to post about over in the Orbi AC forum if you need:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/bd-p/Orbi

Message 14 of 19
globespy
Apprentice

I've factory reset more times than I've eaten in the last 24 hours.
Other than the safety pin/wait for amber flashing light, any other 'factory reset' methods you can suggest if the official one clearly isn't working?

Message 15 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Try pressing the reset button for 1 minute. Or might try the 30/30/30 reset method and see. 

Sounds like something on the RBR50 is not right. 

@globespy wrote:

I've factory reset more times than I've eaten in the last 24 hours.
Other than the safety pin/wait for amber flashing light, any other 'factory reset' methods you can suggest if the official one clearly isn't working?

Message 16 of 19
globespy
Apprentice

Sure, I can try that 30-30-30 approach.
Should I do this with the satellites also?
thanks

Message 17 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

20 seconds should be good enough for them. 

Message 18 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

@globespy wrote:

Sure, I can try that 30-30-30 approach.
Should I do this with the satellites also?
thanks

Any progress on this?

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7