Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK852 100Mbps Cap??

27E_20
Tutor

Orbi RBK852 100Mbps Cap??

There is no way that I paid over $600.00 for the Orbi RBK852 system to have it cap speeds at 100Mbps.  Just happened to notice this today and what is weird is that it didnt used to be this way.  Purchased the RBK852 (AX6000), which consists of the router and one satellite unit back in February and I remember getting speeds at least close to what I pay for.  I have AT&T fiber - 1000Mbps and was getting 828 down and 122 up with my old Asus router when I signed up for the service in January - I remember seeing at least these speeds - if not better - when I switched to the Orbi system a month later.  Today I am in the mid 90's up and down.  

Nothing changed since Feburary, so why the dramatic decrease in speed all of a sudden?  Stepped through all of the settings, nothing is out of the ordinary, firmware is up to date (V3.2.18.1), rebooted the router a couple times, double checked everything in the AT&T Gateway, rebooted, all is normal.  Anyone else noticing this issue?  

I found a couple of posts on this forum - I think one person had a cable ISP, replaced thier modem and the problem was solved.  another guy was running a different test than Ookla's Speedtest.  

Trust me, I understand how ridiculous it is to use your own router with AT&T - having to use IP Passthrough because the bridged mode setting in the Gateway doesnt work and what not, but regardless - speed was not always capped at 100Mbps like it is now - it WAS working.  

Really dont want to but I guess I could try resetting everything back to factory defaults unless someone has a better idea.  

Thanks

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
27E_20
Tutor

Re: Orbi RBK852 100Mbps Cap??

Got it figured out.  Up until yesterday afternoon I had been using Private Internet Access as my VPN provider - had this installed on two of my Windows devices, but not on the Linux destop.  After some exhaustive troubleshooting, it turns out that when I activate the VPN, or if the VPN is set to automatically connect at boot, then that causes the mid-90's cap.  Not sure how or why this would affect the router since the software is installed on the Windows machines, but sure enough, once it was all unintsalled - speed was back to normal.

I have always noticed a decreased speed while the VPN was acitve, and I understand that it is to be expected - just not that severe. 

Thanks for the replies. 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Do you get near 900Mpbs at the modem with your PC? 

Try different wired PC to compare. 

Ensure your PCs network adapter is connecting at 1000mbps with the RBR.

Try the RBR in AP mode with the modem in router mode...

Message 2 of 6
27E_20
Tutor

Thanks for the reply. 

This is AT&T's infamous Motorola Arris BGW210-700 Gateway.  

Mid-90's speeds are wireless/wired/VPN/no VPN.  This is the same accross multiple PC's:  two Windows, one Linux system.  

When I connect directly to the AT&T Gateway (wired connection - I have AT&Ts wireless disabled), I see the speeds that I am supposed to.  But that sort of defeats the whole purpose of having the Orbi system.  I do not want AT&T's crappy hardware to serve as my primary router -hence the motivation to spend $600 on an alleged top of the line mesh system.  Like I said, this used to work just fine.  

Is there a way to revert back to a previous Firmware version?  

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Might ask @Christian_R for the new beta to see if this helps...

Message 4 of 6
27E_20
Tutor

Got it figured out.  Up until yesterday afternoon I had been using Private Internet Access as my VPN provider - had this installed on two of my Windows devices, but not on the Linux destop.  After some exhaustive troubleshooting, it turns out that when I activate the VPN, or if the VPN is set to automatically connect at boot, then that causes the mid-90's cap.  Not sure how or why this would affect the router since the software is installed on the Windows machines, but sure enough, once it was all unintsalled - speed was back to normal.

I have always noticed a decreased speed while the VPN was acitve, and I understand that it is to be expected - just not that severe. 

Thanks for the replies. 

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves tine if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7