Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBK852 - No way to have separate SSIDs for 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands- No work-around, it seems

HerveB1
Tutor

Orbi RBK852 - No way to have separate SSIDs for 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands- No work-around, it seems

I just got an Orbi RBK852. My plan was to replace two older ASUS routers in an AIMesh configuration with the new Orbi that support Wifi 6 as the ASUS devices have been unstable. I used to have older version of Orbi Wifi 5 and was able to have separate SSID for 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands. I had to go through the procedure described by several users on the Internet and that involves enabling the debug mode on the Orbi to telnet into the device and use the "config" tool to set different SSIDs for each band. More complicated than what it should be, but it worked. Unfortunately, the new RBK850 doesn't have a "config" command available, it seems...

I am going to have to return the device as having same SSIDs for both bands is creating problems with some of my wifi devices. It is very unfortunate has the Orbi RBK852 seems to be a solid device otherwise. It is minimalistic in terms of functionalities but I appreciate that Open VPN server is now available.

Netgear: what are you thinking with not allowing user to use the web interface or mobile app to configure separate SSIDs for each band??? I don't know many routers that have this limitation (I actually don't know any) and I don't see a good reason... and now the config command is no longer available for a work-around... your product lead needs to really think harder about usability.

Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBK852 - No way to have separate SSIDs for 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands- No work-around, it seems

NG doesn't or had officially supported any form of separation of SSIDs. The Orbi system is based of the Smart Connect feature where it incorporates both 2.4 and 5Ghz into 1 SSID name and PW. The client devices make a determination along with what Orbi provides in signal and mode and the these device pick which frequency to connect too. If devices are dual band then they will mostly pick 5Ghz depending upon noise, signal quality and range. If devices are only 2.4Ghz supporting, these device will NEVER see or use 5Ghz whatsoever and will only connect to the 2.4Ghz frequency. Orib will help devices get connected however it's mostly up to the devices to pick and choose where they connect. 

For most users, users are used to having control over separate SSID. However when Smart connect came out years ago. Some router manufacures starting implemented this feature. Yes, most offer disabling of the signal SSIDs, however in MESH configurations, the remote satellites are depended upon the back haul always being there to connect to and config data from the RBR. So on reason why NG keeps this going. 

Been like this since the 1st generation Orbi AC as well. I presume NG has there reasons why they don't offier separation of SSIDs. Probably brings more hassle, problems and unwanted support calls that NG doesn't want to mess with. 

Message 2 of 10
HerveB1
Tutor

I used to have RBK50 router in mesh node. I followed the work-around to split the SSIDs. It worked just fine.
I just configured two ASUS GT-AX11000 in a mesh configuration. No work around need to set up separate SSIDs. The interface offers option to turn on/off smart connect and to specify separate SSIDs.
ASUS gives the option. Netgear could do the same. BTW, their others routers give the option if I recall.
Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Just be cause one Mfr offers it doen't mean NG has to. 

Users have been asking Since Orbi AC first appeared. NG doesn't seem to budge on this officially. Both Orbi AC and AX work for me with signal SSIDs. Not issues. NG offers disabling of the frequency SSIDs temporarily to help get some IoT connected. That is a IoT mfr limitation on there setup software however.

I would not look forward to seeing this on AX. Maybe in time if NG opens up telnet options. However if they don't support it in the telnet, might not see it at all. 

Can post your request here though:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/idb-p/idea-exchange-for-home

Good Luck.

Message 4 of 10
HerveB1
Tutor

I agree with you. It is unfortunate as the new Orbi AX6000 seems to be pretty good.
Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Single SSID works as intended. 

Message 6 of 10
Deihmos
Guide

I don't know of a single router that doesn't give you the option to disable smart connect. The new Fios G3100 wifi 6 router that was just released has an option to disable it so you can configure seperate ssid. This function does not work for everyone. 

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Most Non MESH wifi routers have the ability to disable Smart Connect if that feature is available on there router. 

We are hoping that in the future NG will offer disabling of either 2.4 or 5Ghz SSID names like they did a couple of years ago for the Orbi AC models. This will help bring better setup experineces for 2.4Ghz support IoT devices which some Mfrs limit there set up software to work only on 2.4Ghz when the setup devices like phones or pads work on either frequency. Frequenies being also on the same Wireless network to each other. 

Message 8 of 10
HerveB1
Tutor

Asus Routers support mesh configuration and allow separate SSIDs for 5ghz and 2.4ghz WiFi.
I am not recommending then, nor I am recommending Netgear routers as many of these consumer products are very buggy.
I switched to UniFi routers/access points (Dream Machine) and all my network issues including WiFi disconnects went away. UniFi is superior implementation of 802.11n and ac.
Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck in your endeavors. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7