Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK852 Wired Backhaul in AP mode

KBDMB1
Aspirant

Orbi RBK852 Wired Backhaul in AP mode

Hi There,

Im just looking for a quick validation of the correct setup when using the Orbi in AP mode. So i have been using it in router mode the last couple of months and i cant complain, but we are switching ISP and with this provider it is mandatory to use the out of the box router because of IPTV.

I have actually been trying out different setups (See picture), one similar to this post: Other Netgear community post and a more traditional one, where the RBR is directly connected to the RBS.

In Scenario 2, everything seems to work fine but it does look like it hurts my ping a little bit. And i cant seem to get Scenario 1 working like our fellow Orbi owner has. This made me wonder what is the recommend way of setting up a wired backhaul when the Orbi is in Ap mode and you are using your own router.

1 and 2: The RBR and RBS are directly connected the ISP router or swith in between and there is no direct cable between them, This seems the setup mentioned in the other post but im having trouble getting it to work. The Satelite is not recognized in this one.

3 and 4: The RBR is connected to the router on the WAN port and then directly with the RBS. This works fine and the satelite is recognized, but my ping jumps up a couple of ms.

What would be the preferred setup and why?

Thanks in advance!

Orbisetup.png

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBK852 Wired Backhaul in AP mode

Configurations 3 or 4 will work. 

Message 2 of 6
Mikey94025
Hero

@KBDMB1 wrote:

As is stated in the earlier reply, the 3 and 4 will work but not the 1 and 2.  The latter doesn't work because the RBS must be downstream from and within the RBR's home network, i.e., the RBS hardwired down from RBR's LAN ports (directly, or with certain unmanaged switches in-between RBR and RBS) or else connected wirelessly.

Message 3 of 6
Mikey94025
Hero

@Mikey94025 wrote:

@KBDMB1 wrote:

As is stated in the earlier reply, the 3 and 4 will work but not the 1 and 2.

To clarify my earlier answer, the restriction I described (RBS must be downstream from RBR) is when the RBR is operating in router mode.  The other post you referenced had their Orbi in Access Point (AP) mode and apparently in AP mode the RBS can be anywhere within the home network (even upstream of RBR).

Message 4 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 5 of 6
KBDMB1
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 Exactly and in this configuration everything works fine. 

@Mikey94025  I also have it set up as an access point currently but it doesn't recognize the satellite when following schema 1 and 2. Like you mentioned, the other post, he got it to work. Make me wonder what's different.

Setting it up as shown in schema 3 and 4, works great.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7