Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK853 Satellites limited to 90Mbps

PlanePoke
Guide

Orbi RBK853 Satellites limited to 90Mbps

I just installed a new orbi RBK853 system: an RBR850 router, and 2 RBS 850 satellites.  Both satellites are hard-wired for the backhaul directly to the router.  When I do a network speed test from a device wirelessly connected to the router, I get my full available speed of 400Mbps.  But whenever I test from a device connected to either of the satellites, my speed is limited to 90Mbps.  It is consistent no matter what I try and with all devices.  

I notice there was at least 1 other post on this site about this problem, but it said "solved" which was just a message saying to post to this forum with no solution.  I have the latest firmware for all parts of the Orbi.  I have also tried the other suggestions like turning off the 20/40MHz setting.

Anyone else still having this problem?

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
PlanePoke
Guide

Re: Orbi RBK853 Satellites limited to 90Mbps

I fixed it!  Here was the problem:

When my house was wired with Cat5e, they split each cable: 4 wires for ethernet, and 4 for telephone.  That will allow 100Mbps at most with 100BASE-Tx.   But to get faster speeds, ALL 8 wires on the Cat5e must be used in the connectors.

Solution:

I cut the wires for the phone lines on each of the Cat5e cables I was using for the satelite backhaul (since I am not using the phone connection in the rooms where I have the satellites) and wired them on to a single connector.  Then I wired them to the router in the configuration recommended by Netgear when using a switch: Wired Backhaul Now the speed I get when connected wirelessly to either of the satellites, is the same as when I am wirelessly connected to the router:  The full 400Mbps download I pay for from the cable company. 

I hope that this experience will be helpful to anyone else with this problem.  I learned alot about the differences between Fast, and Gigabit Ethernet in this process!

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
PlanePoke
Guide

I forgot to mention my modem is a Netgear CM1000v2.

Message 2 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

So the RBRs are directly wired behind the RBR or is there a switch in between by chance?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch in the configuration?
https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Check the link rate of your wireless device by installing wifi sweetspots on your device. Turn OFF the wifi radio on the device for 5 seconds, then back on while near the RBS. Then test.

https://kb.netgear.com/19668/Link-Rate-and-Transfer-Speed

Is Armor enabled? 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Community-FAQ-My-Orbi-speeds-are-slow-inconsistent-and-don-...

Message 3 of 7
PlanePoke
Guide

Thank you for your response!  I think I may know what the issue is, but I need to test it:  I think when my house was wired with Cat5e, they split each cable: 4 wires for ethernet, and 4 for telephone.  To my understanding Gigabit ethernet requires all 8 wires.   I am going to do some rewiring, and then I will report back here.

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Oh, that could be a cause. Let us know how it goes...

Message 5 of 7
PlanePoke
Guide

I fixed it!  Here was the problem:

When my house was wired with Cat5e, they split each cable: 4 wires for ethernet, and 4 for telephone.  That will allow 100Mbps at most with 100BASE-Tx.   But to get faster speeds, ALL 8 wires on the Cat5e must be used in the connectors.

Solution:

I cut the wires for the phone lines on each of the Cat5e cables I was using for the satelite backhaul (since I am not using the phone connection in the rooms where I have the satellites) and wired them on to a single connector.  Then I wired them to the router in the configuration recommended by Netgear when using a switch: Wired Backhaul Now the speed I get when connected wirelessly to either of the satellites, is the same as when I am wirelessly connected to the router:  The full 400Mbps download I pay for from the cable company. 

I hope that this experience will be helpful to anyone else with this problem.  I learned alot about the differences between Fast, and Gigabit Ethernet in this process!

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes there was a time when phone and data could live on the same cable line. Waas a good idea at the beginning. So glad you figured it out you got things all re-wired and working now. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7