Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBK853 with Elgato Key Lights

packet_gnome
Tutor

Orbi RBK853 with Elgato Key Lights

Hello all.

I thought I would share this in case someone else finds it usrful.  I recently installed an RBK853 (base + two satelities) in my home (switching from a prior Google WiFi system).  Everything worked well with the switchover EXCEPT that my Elgato Key Lights (WiFi-enabled lighting system that is just awesome) did not work (not visible on the network) after switching to the Orbi setup.  Without being able to "see" the lights from the Elgato Control Center, you cannot control them.  This was close to a deal-breaker for me, as I use these lights a lot.

Long story short, after some troubleshooting I determined that the Orbi system needed to have IPv6 enabled in order for the Elgato key Lights to work.  By default, it seems that the RBK853 setup has IPv6 disabled by default, and did not appear to be flooding the IPv6 ND messages needed for the Elgato lighst to work.  Once I enabled IPv6, everything suddenly was fine and stable.

One question I do have if anyone can shed some light - enabling Guest Networking on the RBK853 seems to disable IPv6.  With the amount that I use these key Lights, disabling IPv6 is not an option for me.  Does anyone know if IPv6 can be enabled along with Guest Networking support on RBK853?

Cheers,

Dave

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Please post about this over in the Orbi AX forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Good Luck. 

Message 2 of 15
COMountainGoat
Apprentice

Having exactly this issue - upgraded from the older orbi to the new ac4200's and the key lights are missing from control center - they pair to the network, but aren't visible.

How did you turn on IPV6 on the LAN only?  I don't want devices going out to the net on ipv6 or using it for DNS.

Message 3 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@packet_gnome wrote:

Hello all.

I thought I would share this in case someone else finds it usrful.  I recently installed an RBK853 (base + two satelities) in my home (switching from a prior Google WiFi system).  Everything worked well with the switchover EXCEPT that my Elgato Key Lights (WiFi-enabled lighting system that is just awesome) did not work (not visible on the network) after switching to the Orbi setup.  Without being able to "see" the lights from the Elgato Control Center, you cannot control them.  This was close to a deal-breaker for me, as I use these lights a lot.

Long story short, after some troubleshooting I determined that the Orbi system needed to have IPv6 enabled in order for the Elgato key Lights to work.  By default, it seems that the RBK853 setup has IPv6 disabled by default, and did not appear to be flooding the IPv6 ND messages needed for the Elgato lighst to work.  Once I enabled IPv6, everything suddenly was fine and stable.

One question I do have if anyone can shed some light - enabling Guest Networking on the RBK853 seems to disable IPv6.  With the amount that I use these key Lights, disabling IPv6 is not an option for me.  Does anyone know if IPv6 can be enabled along with Guest Networking support on RBK853?

Cheers,

Dave

Message 4 of 15
COMountainGoat
Apprentice

So just an update on my end.  Enabling IPv6 got the lights to appear sporadically, so that's a piece of it, but still wasn't reliable.  But they really don't like working with the ax endpoints at all.  I fired up an old airport express, plugged it in with an ethernet cable to the satellite, created an old wifi 4 b/g/n network for them to connect to, and magic, it all works again.

Message 5 of 15
packet_gnome
Tutor

I just enabled v6 in Advanced > Advanced and set it to Auto-Config.  The Orbi picks up an IPv6 address on the outside interface, but leaves it unconfigured on the inside interface = no IPv6 routing (IPv6 is link-local only inside in this case).  If you wanted IPv6 routing (which it sounds like you do not), I believe you'd have to enable DHCP per https://cirw.in/blog/ipv6-config.

Hope this helps.  As soon as I enabled v6 in Advanced > Advanced, my Key Lights started working immediately.  I later confirmed with a sniffer that they do in fact use v6.

Cheers,

Dave

Message 6 of 15
packet_gnome
Tutor

If you have a mesh setup, it depends on which AP you connect through on your laptop or phone, vs. which ones the lights are using.  It seems like the v6 briding does not always work reliably over the mesh (lights can be missing).  If they are all on the same AP, it works a treat.

Cheers,

Dave

Message 7 of 15
COMountainGoat
Apprentice

Yeah, mine were on the same AP as my computer, but they are on 2.4 and the computer is 5, and connectivity was intermittent (they'd show up then disappear in control center).  Putting them on a separate 2.4 b/g/n network plugged into the AP made it all work.  It's possible they would have stabilized...maybe i was just impatient :-).

I figured out how to turn on ipv6 and still preserve/force use of my own pihole for dns blocking (that was a bit of an adventure).  Was rather surprised it was hidden in advanced rather than just on the regular wireless pages.

And I can confirm the issue with packets not routing between the AP's - I have that problem with airplay/itunes/appleTV's a lot.  The ax units are definitely better than the ac ones, and your hint about ipv6 also seems to have helped that work better too (may be anecdotal).

It's disappointing that elgato is flaky like this (and doesn't document that ipv6 is required), and disappointing that orbi still has issues routing the packets properly.

All's well that ends well, thanks for the original pointer.

Message 8 of 15
x13216
Aspirant

THANK YOU!!!! 

I was about to rip apart my entier setup to fix this.  As soon as i activated IPV 6 this started working.  Now I need to make sure I have opened up any giant security holes.

Thanks again!

Message 9 of 15
BotPredator
Aspirant

Had same problem. Played with iPhone and couldnt find a way to get my iphone or PC to join the 2.4ghz network and the same Access Point.

Workaround I found was

1. to setup a 2.4ghz 'Mobile Hotspot' in Windows 10 (in the Network and Internet" settings area

2. download the Elgato control centre app to my iphone

3. connect iphone to the Mobile hotspot

4. Add both Elgato Key Lights to the PC's mobile hotspot network using my the iphone (in the phone's Wi-fi settings you could add accessories and the lights were there)

5. Then the devices appear in the control centre app on the iphone when open the app and you can control them

Note that you may need to reset the key lights before they can join the network (if you have already tried joining them to another network like the Orbi mesh) by holding down the reset button until they flash three times

Good luck 

Message 10 of 15
umpmanjoe
Aspirant

Can you please detail a little more what to do with the airport/extra router.  I have an old router, how do I set it up with the Orbi to control the Key lights?   Do I have to put the old router in a special mode?  Can a computer on the Orbi network still control it?  

Message 11 of 15
x13216
Aspirant

Make sure you have ipv6 turned on. With that on it just worked for me.
Message 12 of 15
COMountainGoat
Apprentice

Sure, you put the router in bridge mode, but create a new wireless network with a different ssid.  The lights connect to it, but the computer will connect to them through the bridged network.

ipv6 did not solve it for me, and I'm not a fan of turning it on your network unless you really need it (which is extremely rare) and know what you're doing.

Message 13 of 15
grangej
Aspirant

Dude, you saved my day. Where anywhere in the elgato docs is this? 

Message 14 of 15
jond42
Aspirant

I know this is an old thread but it's literally all I could find anywhere when I ran onto the same issue, so for those that follow me, I found disabling IPv6 on my computer's WiFi adapter resolved the issue.

My symptoms were the same as those above, light was undiscoverable from a PC. For me, it worked fine from iPhone started working. The next day, gone on the PC but OK on the phone. Based on another post (https://www.hanselman.com/blog/fix-for-elgato-key-light-not-found-by-control-center) I dug around in the settings file and saw it had the wrong IP address. I tried updating, but it kept reverting to the wrong one. I was about to just give it a static IP reservation in DHCP when I thought I'd try and just disable IPv6 on the laptop. I clicked OK and instantly the buttons on my stream desck came back online and it's working now.

So while IPv6 definitely seems to be the root issue, if you're not otherwise using it this may be a better solutions.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7