Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi (RBK85x) Separate Subnet on satellite/SSID ?

j_radley
Guide

Orbi (RBK85x) Separate Subnet on satellite/SSID ?

Hi,

I'm trying to work out a network solution and am unsure if the Orbi can do what I need - looking for suggestions before I buy....

Our property has a self contained annex which we plan to rent out as a holiday let. I want to provide the annex with a satellite which provides a separate guest SSID (easy to do) but also a separate subnet for any device connected to it via its ethernet ports to the subnet that the other satellites are on. The reasoning is I want to totally isolate the annex network from any device on the main home network.

I can protect wired devices in the home by putting them behind a firewall router (I already have an FVS318Gv2) but, if a guest was to plug a device into the ports on the satellite, would devices on the home SSID or plugged into ports on other satellites be potentially visible ?

Any suggestions or help much appreciated.

Many thanks,

John

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

You could do something like that with the pro versions. I believe you can set separate vlans on each port.

but not the consumer version

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 10

All Replies
plemans
Guru

If they hardwire into the satellite, it wouldn't be on the guest network. You'd be better off hardwiring in a business class access point you could put on its own vlan through your firewall. 

Message 2 of 10
j_radley
Guide

Thanks,

I had thought of doing that but was hoping for an all-in-1 type solution. I was rather hoping there would be an option to configure individual physical ports on the satellites and router to specified SSIDs. That would would do the trick and be a nice option. Going down the access point route would almost certainly involve not only the access point but probably also a range extender over in the annex and I'd be a little concerned that the access point would cause unnecessary interference with the mesh. I'll have to have a re-think.

Cheers,

John

Message 3 of 10
plemans
Guru

You could do something like that with the pro versions. I believe you can set separate vlans on each port.

but not the consumer version

Message 4 of 10
j_radley
Guide

Hi,

Thank you - that is what I was looking for. It seems the pro version will do the job (though it would be nice if you could set the ports on each of the satellites to be different to each other, but the manual seems to suggest what you do on one satellite will be set for all satellites).

I now just need to figure out if I can justify a spend of £1k on this.

Cheers,

John

Message 5 of 10
plemans
Guru

any chance you have ethernet wired throughout the home? The SXK30 series is much cheaper but doesn't have the dedicated backhaul

Message 6 of 10
j_radley
Guide

Good question....

I don't have ethernet cable from room-to-room, yet, and was thinking of mesh as an alternative to doing so.

However, in the main house I can run cable to where I need it for a lot less money than a set of RBK850's. I can't run cable to the annex but don't need to and don't want to - there is nothing out there that needs high bandwidth to the house - just a wi-fi signal and port for the TV streaming apps, which as already mentioned I want on a different vlan or subnet to the rest of the house.

The SXK30 is a great suggestion - thank you. 

I'm surprised at the difference in cost just to add a decent backhaul !!

Cheers,

John

Message 7 of 10
plemans
Guru

the dedicated backhaul does make a significant difference in speed if you're needing it. But if you don't, then its a great option. 

Message 8 of 10
j_radley
Guide

Understood. Having given it some serious thought I really don't think I need backhaul speed. Really it's just mobile phones doing whatsapp, a couple of echo's streaming and Netflix to a TV. The house is only on a 60Mb/s DSL anyway 🙂 I'll save the money and get the SXK30. It will do all that I need for 1/4 price of the SXK80.

Message 9 of 10
plemans
Guru

Good luck! Hope it works for your purpose. I've used a sxk30 and likes it but it was hardwired in. I haven't hooked it up in a while though 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7