Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBKE960 online firmware update check not working

MarkSc
Aspirant

Orbi RBKE960 online firmware update check not working

In my Orbi RBRE960, the online update for firmware isn't seeing new firmware being available. I have been on the stock version 6.0.3.68 of the firmware. Clicking the check button does not find a new firmware version. Only after checking the Netgear web site was I able to see that a new version was available. I am accessing the web version of the admin console using Google Chrome browser v 97.0.4692.99 on Windows 10.

Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBKE960 online firmware update check not working

Possible that NG hasn't put up v85 yet on there servers or may not be pushing it. You can always manually update if you feel the need too. 

Message 2 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBKE960 online firmware update check not working

@MarkSc wrote:

Clicking the check button does not find a new firmware version. Only after checking the Netgear web site was I able to see that a new version was available.

As @FURRYe38 mentioned, software becomes visible to the Orbi firmware update process when certain files show up on a specific web site (https://http.fw.updates1.netgear.com )  I have long suspected that Netgear may prefer to make new firmware available in a way that will lead "early adopters" (i.e. risk takers) to find it and become part of the debugging process.  Or, it could be something as simple as different tasks being assigned to different people within the company and one gets ahead of the other.

My own (personal) practice is to "let fools rush in" and wait at least a month before updating my Orbi unless there is a specific reason to want new firmware. (something doesn't work correctly with the current firmware).  The 960 product is so new that there may be quite a number of firmware changes as customers discover things that could have been done better.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7