Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR 752 only testing @ 940mbps Xfinity modem tests over 1 Gbps

Timothy88
Luminary

Orbi RBR 752 only testing @ 940mbps Xfinity modem tests over 1 Gbps

Performed a speed test with my Orbi RBR 752 and with an Xfinity supplied modem and the Xfinity modem outperformed it.   The Xfinity modem would reach speeds of 1.2 Gbps when the Orbi would max at around 940 Mbps.  The speed from the Xfinity modem is consistent with what the tech was seeing with his cable testing equipment.  

Why is the Xfinity modem outperforming the Netgear? It also seems like the Xfinity modem has pretty much all the same functionalities the Netgear is so why spend hundreds of dollars on a Netgear when it does not seem to be as good as what Xfinity is supplying?  Maybe someone from Netgear can answer why a modem with a Gigabit port can not achieve Gigabit speeds? 

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Timothy88
Luminary

Re: Orbi RBR 752 only testing @ 940mbps Xfinity modem tests over 1 Gbps

I forgot I upgraded my cable modem and it has a 2.5 gig port so link aggregation isn't an option. Right it's shared bandwidth. And honestly we don't notice any real slowness, so at this point its really about whether xfinity is being honest in what they say they are delivering.  Its a shame I bought the 750 and then the 850 came out.

Thank you for the responses.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
plemans
Guru

1. why the gigabit line doesn't hit full 1gig speed and only 940mbps. There's answers for it. but they've been answered before. A lot.  A quick google search will answer that. here's one description because there's no point in me re-writing it. What is the actual maximum throughput on Gigabit Ethernet? - CableFree

If you're wanting faster than gigabit speeds, you'd need to buy a router capable of more than gigabit speeds. 

2. why buy a 3rd party router when xfinity's can do the job? For multiple reasons. Usually because xfinity charges you to rent their modem. they also lock the firmware and control what you can do with it. Some people like to customize their devices. They can also then track what your doing. There's even more reasons than this. But these are some of the bigger ones. 

Message 2 of 8
Timothy88
Luminary

Maybe I should have phrased my question differently.  Why do both pieces of equipment with 1 Gigabit ports report different speeds with one matching the highly sophisticated Fluke meter and the other coming in below?

Xfnity's device specs on the port are 1 Gigabit same as Netgear.  Are they 'fudging' numbers on the speed test?  Although with all of the issues Netgear has had with firmware are they trustworthy?  I know in previous releases speeds were not being reported correctly.

• Model Numbers: TG3482G and CGM4140COM
  • Friendly Model Name: XB6
  • Gigabit Ethernet Ports: 2
  • Dual-Band WiFi Option: Yes
  • 2.4 GHz Connected Client Limit: 30
  • 5 GHz Connected Client Limit: 75
  • Maximum Data Throughput: 1 Gbps

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

If you're running the speedtest on the built in speed test, the xfinity device has its own internal modem. And that internal modem can get faster than gigabit speeds. The modems sides have been able to get faster than gigabit for quite a while but its the ethernet interface most test off. Its ethernet can't put out faster speeds than the 940mbps but its internal side can. So you'll see greater than gigabit on any internal test that hosts on the modem/router combo device versus to a connected devices (computer/pc). 

Same with most fluke meter's test directly onto the coax line and test that. Its not testing your actual usable bandwidth. 

Message 4 of 8
Timothy88
Luminary

I am running the speedtests directly from the routers.  I did not try the speed test by using the app from my PC.  

OK.  I get it now with the overhead and losses. So they are reporting what the coax is giving instead of what your real speed through the ethernet interface is (kind of cheating). Obviously the Netgear is has to rely on the ethernet interface.  So in order to get better than 1 gig I'd have to go with a router with a 2.5 gig port or use link aggregation?

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

correct. Starts getting a bit pricey when you get into 2.5gig equipment. 

Plus many only have 1x 2.5gig port. So even if your internal speeds are 2.5gig, their output is only 1 gig. 

There's a few exceptions to that like the CAX80 that has its own internal modem so can get faster speeds and then has the 2.5gig port to connect something to it. But unless you have a 2.5gig switch (expensive as well), you're only going to get 1 device that gets those speeds. 

I have 1.4gig speeds and can't say I need that fast or even use it the vast majority of the time. 

Message 6 of 8
Timothy88
Luminary

I forgot I upgraded my cable modem and it has a 2.5 gig port so link aggregation isn't an option. Right it's shared bandwidth. And honestly we don't notice any real slowness, so at this point its really about whether xfinity is being honest in what they say they are delivering.  Its a shame I bought the 750 and then the 850 came out.

Thank you for the responses.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

I believe the 850 appeared, at least here in the USA, before the 7 series did. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7