Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR350 Ethernet Ports

GregClarke
Aspirant

Orbi RBR350 Ethernet Ports

Is there a setting to make the ethernet ports on the router work. WiFi works great, but wired devices connect to the LAN but not the internet. Ethernet ports on the satellite unit work. Is there a way to turn these on?

Setup is ONT - Cable to Orbi Router 

Message 1 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR350 Ethernet Ports

No. There is no setting. All ethernet ports should allow devices to connect anywhere.  If a specific device will connect to the internet when cabled to a satellite, it should also connect when cabled to the router.  (And the reverse. If a device will not connect when cabled to the router, it should also fail to connect when cabled to a satellite.)

One the device has been eliminated as the cause, there is something wrong with the router hardware and it should be replaced under warranty.

Message 2 of 10
GregClarke
Aspirant

Thank you. This is the second one in a row so I have spent a lot of time checking all the settings to make sure I am not the problem. Netgear suggested upgrading to a unit twice the cost, but that doesn't make sense, I figure this should be able to work

Message 3 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

I'm still interested in hearing how an experiment turned out. i.e. moving a device from router to satellite (or satellite to router) to see how it behaves.  (I understand things like televisions and desktop computers are not simple to move.  I have a 50' and 100' ethernet cable that I use for experiments - when the family is not around to complain.)

Message 4 of 10
GregClarke
Aspirant

It seems that this is a common problem on the RBR350. I saw a review form someone who purchased 3 units and all of them did the same. The ethernet ports on the satellite worked fine, but not the ones on the main unit. Finally got it sorted by returning it for a credit and purchased a different brand, installed it and no longer have any issues. A huge amount of hours wasted over the past week. Very frustrating that this must be a known problem with this model yet Netgear dont' acknowledge or deal with it. 

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you contacted NG support to let them know what your having problems with? 

@GregClarke wrote:

It seems that this is a common problem on the RBR350. I saw a review form someone who purchased 3 units and all of them did the same. The ethernet ports on the satellite worked fine, but not the ones on the main unit. Finally got it sorted by returning it for a credit and purchased a different brand, installed it and no longer have any issues. A huge amount of hours wasted over the past week. Very frustrating that this must be a known problem with this model yet Netgear dont' acknowledge or deal with it. 

Message 6 of 10
GregClarke
Aspirant

Yes, I contacted Netgear, spent about 2 hours talking to them and their final suggestion was to take the unit back and upgrade to a model twice the price. I found enough on line to suggest that this model is a problem for this so changed to another brand and problems are solved. I guess most people just use the WiFi which had been our sitaution also until very recently so they get away with it.

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

So were you able to return the Orbi system then? 

Message 8 of 10
GregClarke
Aspirant

Yes, returned for a credit, purchased a TP Link deco and problem solved.

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements