Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR750 Backhaul Connections Reported Incorrectly

orbiuser1975
Apprentice

Orbi RBR750 Backhaul Connections Reported Incorrectly

Just installed a RBR750 router/satellite system. Both the router and satellite have firmware V3.2.16.22_1.4.9. The satellite backhaul connection is via CAT5e through a switch (not direct).  Couple of questions:

1. I have noticed from the app that all devices connecting to the satellite are showing up as "wired" connections on the router. Will this ever be addressed to show appropriately as "wireless" connections on under the satellite?

2. The guest network option is enabled and guest network connection through the satellite don't show up guest network connections, but rather "wired" connections through the router. Will the incorrect reporting for guest connected devices be addressed? This one just stumps me, as I can see the guest connected devices are on a different subnet, so should be easily determined as "guest" even though they come through the wired backhaul.

Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR750 Backhaul Connections Reported Incorrectly

Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch in the configuration?
https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

No. 

No.

Message 2 of 8
orbiuser1975
Apprentice

Orbi is operating as a router.

It is a simple unmanaged 1Gbps switch, TRENDnet TEG-S16Dg.

https://www.trendnet.com/products/product-detail?prod=235_TEG-S16Dg

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Does the RBS appear correctly in the RBRs web page as a wired RBS? 

Message 4 of 8
orbiuser1975
Apprentice

I think you answered my questions with the "No. and No." but was confused if they were answers per your question about switch type. They lead me to believe that the switch could be playing a role in the connection(s) status being reported. Just let me know, and I'll mark this as Accepted.

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

To find out, connect the RBS directly to the back of the RBR. 

There are some known problems with Gb switchs, mainly managed and switches that have Green Ethernet features are known to cause problems. 

The other factor is is that when the RBS are wire connected, switch or not, devices connecting to the RBS will be reported as wired as the behavior changes and does the way traffic is handled between wired and wireless. Though the devices is wirelessly connected to the RBS, the back haul is changed from wireless to wired when the RBS is ethernet connected, thus the RBR will read and detect the device as wired instead of wireless. 

Message 6 of 8
orbiuser1975
Apprentice

I haven't tested with a direct connection between the router and satellite yet, but did note that everything seems to be reporting correctly after being online at least 24 hours. The identification on this specific firmware must have a discovery period that requires at least 24 hours.  I'm going to leave this here and report back after a few more days.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds good. Ya, have noticed with Orbi systems, there seems to be some settling time. Keep us posted. Happy New Year. Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7