Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR750 - Interruptions on WEBEX & MS Teams Calls

Ninjakeks_5
Tutor

Orbi RBR750 - Interruptions on WEBEX & MS Teams Calls

Hey guys

I've recently installed my Orbi system (RBR750; one satellite). It's attached to a cable modem which I've set to bridge mode. I'm having since then trouble on every WEBEX or MS Teams Call. The voice output is constantly being interrupted.

I’ve tried it with my Laptop, PC and iPhone; connected directly to the Orbi router or to the satellite. The only thing helping, is when I connect via mobile network, then the issue disappears.

I’ve done several tests, the ping is good, the speed is plenty (over 600 Mbps download). Has it maybe to do with the new Firmware (everything is up-to-date)?

Kind regards
NK

Message 1 of 23

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Could try this this, put the modem back in to router mode and configure the RBR for AP mode. See if the problem continues...

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 23

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set CTS to 2347. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling AX mode on the RBR under Basic tab/wireless settings...

Message 2 of 23
Ninjakeks_5
Tutor

Hi FURRYE38

Firmware: V4.6.3.7_2.0.49
ISP Modem: ARRIS TG3492LG-LC
Sq Ft Home: 1400
Distance R and S: 50 Ft
20/40Mhz Coexistence: Disabled
CTS: Set to 2347 for 2.4 GHz & 5 GHz (see attachment)
AX: Not disabled - I have a specific antenna for AX mode on my PC

Can you tell me what the 20/40Mhz Coexistence and the CTS setting to 2347 does?

Is the issue Firmware related?

I've tested it quickly with two call and noticed some drops. I'll have to test it during the coming days on a proper call. Keep you updated.

Regards

NJ

Message 3 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

ISP Modem: ARRIS TG3492LG-LC

Your ISP Modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Distance R and S: 50 Ft< you might try the RBS a bit closer and see. Try 40 feet? 

Most likely FW related hwoever lets see if we can help this out for now. Unfortuately we can't downgrade from v4 to v3. 

Message 4 of 23
Ninjakeks_5
Tutor

Hi FURRYe38

ISP Modem is already in bridge mode. About the Distance R and S; they almost have a direct sight with no wall in-between. I have the issue even when connected to the router and not only to the satellite.

Regards

NK

Message 5 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Could try this this, put the modem back in to router mode and configure the RBR for AP mode. See if the problem continues...

Message 6 of 23
Ninjakeks_5
Tutor

It looks like that it's helping. I'll neet to test it on the "big" calls tomorrow.

Any insight if this will be solved soon? I don't want do use the ISP modem as a router, it's not really good...

Kind regards

Alex

Message 7 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

NG is aware of problems on recent version of FW. They don't give information on when new FW will be forth coming. 

Hopefully soon though. Please be patient. 

Message 8 of 23
Ninjakeks_5
Tutor

No issues today, hopefully the new FW will resolve this issue.

One last question, what does the following settings do?

"Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set CTS to 2347" 

Message 9 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

20/40 Coexistence mode is the play nice nearest neighbor policy...when it's off you will get a wider 40mhz channel in 11n thus through put will go up...however you will starve off Mixed 11g and 11n 20Mhz mode.  Using 20 only will reduce the throughput, but it will play nice with others (Nieghboring WiFi routers/APs).  Coexistence means that it can do both based on the results of a carrier quality at the time of transmission. https://www.bitfeed.co/page/wifi-20-mhz-or-40-mhz-how-to-choose-the-bandwidth

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11_RTS/CTS

Message 10 of 23
nkvd59
Tutor

Hello, I have a similar problem and I'm wondering what version you are reporting as having? I don't see a new one on the download page. 

Before I took, my modem out of bridge mode I had the latests(no updates showing) so I'm wondering what you have, vs what I have.

Thanks for taking the time. 

Message 11 of 23
Ninjakeks_5
Tutor

@nkvd59 wrote:

Hello, I have a similar problem and I'm wondering what version you are reporting as having? I don't see a new one on the download page. 

Before I took, my modem out of bridge mode I had the latests(no updates showing) so I'm wondering what you have, vs what I have.

Thanks for taking the time. 

Du you mean the FW of the Orbi? This would be "V4.6.3.7_2.0.49".

Did it help to take the modem out of bridge mode?

Message 12 of 23
nkvd59
Tutor

Yes, that is what I meant. 

Yes, it did help. I have Xfinity they provide a modem/router combo. Before the Orbi update I disabled the router component, and had the Orbi inline as my router. Just like you every 5-10 mins on a teams call I would drop for 30sec - 1min. I would also lose my RDC connections, once or twice I would also lose my VPN connection as well.

I've not dropped any teams calls, or had any problems so far, other then the Orbi being a paper a temporary paper weight. 

Message 13 of 23
Ninjakeks_5
Tutor

@nkvd59 wrote:

Yes, that is what I meant. 

Yes, it did help. I have Xfinity they provide a modem/router combo. Before the Orbi update I disabled the router component, and had the Orbi inline as my router. Just like you every 5-10 mins on a teams call I would drop for 30sec - 1min. I would also lose my RDC connections, once or twice I would also lose my VPN connection as well.

I've not dropped any teams calls, or had any problems so far, other then the Orbi being a paper a temporary paper weight. 

Try putting the Orbi in AP mode (with wifi on) and the modem back into router mode (with wifi off). This will at least let you use the better wifi.

Message 14 of 23
nkvd59
Tutor

Yes, that is a good point. I've been working like 10days in a row now, and will most likely do it this weekend. Just need stability right now as we are pushing for multiple go live events. 

WFH is.... so fun.....

Message 15 of 23
Ninjakeks_5
Tutor

I loooove WFH :)! Good luck with the go live!

Just wondering, what is the brand of your ISP modem?
Message 16 of 23
nkvd59
Tutor

Oh yeah WFH in IT does have it perks. Yet like most, I've worked more hours(salary so meh) in the past 1.8 years then in two years before.

The modem is 

• Model Numbers: CGM4331COM and TG4482A
  • Friendly Model Name: XB7
  • Gigabit Ethernet Ports: 4
  • Dual-Band WiFi Option: Yes
  • 2.4 GHz Connected Client Limit: 75
  • 5 GHz Connected Client Limit: 75
  • Maximum Data Throughput: 2.5 Gbps
  • WPS (WiFi Protected Setup): Yes
  • Gateway/ Network Management Tool (http://10.0.0.1😞 Yes
  • Xfinity xFi Eligible: Yes
  • Xfinity xFi Advanced Security: Yes
  • Xfinity app Activation: Yes
  • Two Total Telephone Ports: Yes (separate Alarm Port)
  • Battery Backup Capability (Xfinity Voice Only): No
  • Link Cordless Phones (CAT-iq 2.0*): Yes
  • Home Hotspot Capable: Yes
  • Compatible with Xfinity Home : Yes

Hopefully NG can fix this sooner rather then later. I'm about to go out and purchase a whole new setup. Including a Motorola MB8611 modem. 

Message 17 of 23
Ninjakeks_5
Tutor

Well that‘s not funny…

Is the Modem from ARRIS? It should be written on the buttom… I have an ARRIS TG3492LG-LC…
Message 18 of 23
nkvd59
Tutor

Yeah it sure is TG4482A.

Message 19 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Your ISP Modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Message 20 of 23
Danslee
Initiate

I have been having a similar issue with all video calls (webex, teams, google meets) and voip calls dropping every 5-10 min for 30-60 seconds.  It started happening after the firmware upgrade.  I do not have an ISP router as my ISP confirmed I could plug straight into RBR750 and use that, and it has been working fine for the past 9 months prior to the firmware upgrade without any issues.  I also have two RBS750 (satellites).  Any suggestions on how to fix the drops without using an ISP router?  It is signficantly impacting my business so I've started researching other setups since this is unacceptable to my clients.  Thanks

Message 21 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor.

Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set CTS to 2347. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

@Danslee wrote:

I have been having a similar issue with all video calls (webex, teams, google meets) and voip calls dropping every 5-10 min for 30-60 seconds.  It started happening after the firmware upgrade.  I do not have an ISP router as my ISP confirmed I could plug straight into RBR750 and use that, and it has been working fine for the past 9 months prior to the firmware upgrade without any issues.  I also have two RBS750 (satellites).  Any suggestions on how to fix the drops without using an ISP router?  It is signficantly impacting my business so I've started researching other setups since this is unacceptable to my clients.  Thanks

Message 22 of 23
nkvd59
Tutor

Sorry for the delay, I did not see this until today for some reason. The way I fixed this was to ethernet connect the back haul, and then use a switch to connect my two PC's in my office/room.

The longer story is for a few days I placed my Xfinity modem/router out of Bridge mode so I could work long enough to make it to the weekend. Then I replaced my Xfinity modem/router with a Surfboad modem. I put the Orbi back in line, bought a 100ft flat cat6 ethernet cord, and I ran that from the main Orbi unit to the satellite that is in my room(about 75ft up and over doors etc). I then placed a switch in one of the satellites ethernet ports that I plug my work and personal computer into. Lastly I configured a old wifi router in access point mode and configured a new SSID that I use for my Ring network(A seperate but nagging issue). This setup has solved all my problems... for now...

I would try what Furrye38 said with the wifi settings. I personally did not have any luck with it. Hopefully you do. If you don't have any luck, and the distance is to far or you can't run a ethernet cord to your satellite. I would look at getting something else other then the Orbi. Not sure if I can say that or not, but it's the truth if NG is not going to be expediant on fixing the issue. 

Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7