Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR750 Packet Loss

chrisandy
Aspirant

Orbi RBR750 Packet Loss

Model Number: RBR750
Firmware Version: V4.6.8.2 

Hello,

I have an Arris S33 that I just bought, connected via coax and connected to the RBR750 router - physically right next to it.

I have several different devices connected to the RBR750: a PC, a PlayStation and an Xbox. Each of these devices is experiencing intermittent packet loss but the PC has been getting the brunt of it lately. 

I was having this same issue on a Surfboard 8200 and a new modem was recommended, but no change. 

I apologize for the vague question but what would be the next logical troubleshooting step? 

Message 1 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR750 Packet Loss

@chrisandy wrote:

I apologize for the vague question but what would be the next logical troubleshooting step? 

Two steps come to mind:

1. Update the router firmware to the most recent version, v4.6.8.5.  The reasoning is that no one will have much interest in diagnosing a problem with out-of-date firmware.  There will almost certainly be advice to update the firmware, so might as well get it done.*
  2. (Temporarily) unplug the Orbi router and connect the PC directly to the cable modem.  If packet loss exists with the direct connection, there must be "something going on" that has nothing to do with the Orbi.

* I am not a big fan of being an "early adopter" of the newest firmware. i.e. "If it ain't broke, why fix it?"  I prefer to wait and see what others think of it before taking the plunge.  Generally 4-6 weeks is enough time to make a decision.  The exception is when things are not working correctly.  Who knows? Maybe the newer firmware will fix things.  In this case, packet loss appears to fall into the "not working" category.

Another step is to document what is going on.  Some packets always get lost.  That's normal.   How does the packet loss manifest?  What is happening on the PC, PS5, XBox which creates the conclusion of packet loss?  For example, is it reported by gaming software?

Message 2 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

@chrisandy wrote:

Hello,

I have an Arris S33 that I just bought, connected via coax and connected to the RBR750 router - physically right next to it. It's recommended to have at least 6 feet in between the RBR and ISP modem. 

What CAT# lan cable are you using? CAT6 is recommended. 

I have several different devices connected to the RBR750: a PC, a PlayStation and an Xbox. Each of these devices is experiencing intermittent packet loss but the PC has been getting the brunt of it lately. 

I was having this same issue on a Surfboard 8200 and a new modem was recommended, but no change. 

Use one wired PC and install pingplotter.com and test with the one wired PC connected to the ISP modem with out the RBR in the middle and check for packet loss and other issues between the PC, modem and ISP services. 

Message 3 of 9
chrisandy
Aspirant

I am using CAT6

I anecdotally tested (via gaming) and detected less packet loss when hard wired directly into the modem vs hard wired into the router. Currently running PingPlotter for 10m directly to modem then will do the same with the router. Still trying to figure out this software - am I able to share the results here?  

Message 4 of 9
chrisandy
Aspirant

Firmware updated, thanks for the suggestion. 

How does the packet loss manifest? What is happening on the PC, PS5, XBox which creates the conclusion of packet loss?  For example, is it reported by gaming software?

It is reported by the gaming software in all of the above situations - the packet loss icon, which varies game to game. In some situations it's benign and in some situations it's experienced by other players but lately it's just been afflicting me. I recently (at Xfinity's advice) upgraded my modem from a SB8200 to a S33 after I was intermittently losing connectivity for a minute or so every couple of hours in the evening. 

I just tried directly connected to the modem from the PC and the indicators of packet loss from the gaming software went down considerably. I'm running PingPlotter and then will try to connect to the Orbi again. I am using cat6, for what that's worth.

Message 5 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@chrisandy wrote:

Still trying to figure out this software - am I able to share the results here?  

I tend to make a screen shot and attach it to a post using the "Drag and drop here" feature at the bottom.

Are these devices connected

• Directly to the Orbi router with Ethernet cable?
  • Directly to the router over WiFi?
  • Connected to a satellite?
Message 6 of 9
chrisandy
Aspirant

So there are three devices reporting packet loss: PC, PS5 and Xbox. 

The PC and PS5 are connected directly to the Orbi via ethernet. The Xbox is connected via a hub that connects to the Orbi. 

Message 7 of 9
chrisandy
Aspirant

"I tend to make a screen shot and attach it to a post using the "Drag and drop here" feature at the bottom."

Attaching the direct connection to modem screenshot here, will place the other one in another reply. 

Message 8 of 9
chrisandy
Aspirant

Here is while connected to router. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements