Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR750 Slow WiFi Speed

CarterJoshua84
Aspirant

Orbi RBR750 Slow WiFi Speed

I was finally able to get fiber at my house I have a 1Gig set up and currently have Orbi RBR750 for the router and two RBS350 for satellites. My modem speed is getting to the router at 945. showing in the picture. But if I hardwire to a satellite I am only getting 400-450mbps. I thought this setup was good with wifi speeds up to 4.2gbps. I know some devices wont go above the 400-500. I have new mac products. I feel like there is something wrong in the set up. Does the router and satellites not connect at 4.2gbps? IMG_30FD4064B70C-1.jpeg

Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Your caught in the overhype of wifi numbers. 

Find a lot more about that here: https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html

the RBR750 has a a front haul and a backhaul. the front haul is a 600mbps 2.4ghz connection with a 1.2gig 5ghz connection. the backhaul is a 2400mbps backhaul (not user accessible). those are just link speeds, not actual throughput speeds. (2.4ghz throughput is horrible). 

With your system, they paired it with a set of dual band satellites. Not triband so they don't connect to the dedicated backhaul. They've got the 600mbps 2.4ghz, 1.2gig 5ghz. But again thats link speed, not actual throughput. Not having a dedicated backhaul is going to make the satellites slower than using the rbs750 satellites with the dedicated backhaul. 

Basically you have a triband mesh system that only has dual band satellites. so they satellites aren't going to have the same performance as the router. 

Message 2 of 4
CarterJoshua84
Aspirant

Thank you for the insight... Would switching out my Orbi AX4200 System for the new AXE11000 system make a difference? Would it even be worth the money?

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

Thats not a questions I can answer. That system is significantly more expensive. 

Are you needing more speed? Unless you're moving massive amounts of data, the system you have is quite capable. you only need 25-40mbps to stream 4k for example. If you're pulling 400 off the satellites, how much faster do you need to go? 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7