Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR750 Speed test vs Asus Mesh?

TAC57
Aspirant

Orbi RBR750 Speed test vs Asus Mesh?

Might anyone give me any insight on the following?  I was planning on updating my home network with the Orbi RBR750 WiFi 6 system.  My existing system is two Asus routers setup in an AiMesh.  I got the ORbi RBR750 today and set it up. The two setups are pretty close to the same as far as the routers locations and the satellites are right next to each other.  So I'm thinking distance and walls really should be a problem.  I'm connecting to the satellite of both system to run the following Ookla tests (www.speedtest.net).

Asus Speed TestAsus Speed TestOrbi Speed TestOrbi Speed Test

Message 1 of 17

Accepted Solutions
TAC57
Aspirant

@FURRYe38Thanks for all your input in this issue.  I ended up having to move my satellite around until I got the blue light on the front of the satellite for 90-180 seconds on reset to get a decent connection on the backhaul.  I'm looking at 190 Mbps Wifi connection now which I'm pretty happy with.  🙂

With issues like these I'm thinking the first step should be to move the router and satellite within about 30 feet line of sight and check the speed of the satellite.  If that is maxed (same speed if connected directly to the router via CAT5 cable) then start to move the satellite towards the desired location.  After moving every ten feet, or behind a new wall, then unplug the satellite to reboot and retest the WiFi speed.

I know there are alot of variable with these RF signals but I would have though the distance between, and what's between, would be a little more forgiving.  I would have like to keep the router in the basement under the great room but I had to move it upstair into the far corner of the great room to get a good signal.

Thanks again for all your time and input.

View solution in original post

Message 16 of 17

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you attached the picture files using the Choose File button as we have to wait for inline pictures to be approved. 

Is the Orbi system the only system on line or is both Orbi and ASUS online at the same time? 

Message 2 of 17
TAC57
Aspirant

Yes both are on at the same time.  I guess I could unplug the Asus in case it's interfering with the Orbi. It doesn't appear the Orbi is interfering with the Asus.  Looks like the pictures showed up in this post.

Message 3 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

To ensure your getting good and accurate speed readings, its best to only have one system online at a time. 

Message 4 of 17
TAC57
Aspirant

This is a speed test with the Asus routers turned off.

Orbi with Asus turned offOrbi with Asus turned offThe Orbi app on my phone  shows my WiFi signal strength -35 just  between very good and amazing.  The inter net speed test is coming in at 200 Mbps up and down which is exacty what I'm paying for with my ISP.

Message 5 of 17
TAC57
Aspirant

Since I can't see the screenshots this is the data.

Asus: ping 4 msec, DL 83Mbps, UL 75Mbps

Orbi:

With Asus routers on: ping 6, DL 18Mbps, UL 23Mbps

With Asus routers off: ping 6, DL 32Mbps, UP 43Mbps.

Message 6 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Are you speed testing with a wired PC connected at the RBR? 

What devices are you speed testing with? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

Is Armor enabled or disabled? 

Message 7 of 17
TAC57
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 I've responded twice to this post and my response is not showing up!

Message 8 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Try to use the Quote button and respond there? 

Message 9 of 17
TAC57
Aspirant

For the next test I'll turn of the satellites on both systems and connect directly to the router from less than ten feet and see what I get.  Since the Orbi is seeing 200Mbps from the modem I'd hope to see an improvment.

Message 10 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Test with a wired connection to the RBR as well.

What speeds UP and DOWN do you pay for? 

"What Firmware version is currently loaded?
V3.2.18.1
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Fiber Calix GigaPoint 803G, model: 100-04255 10

Are you speed testing with a wired PC connected at the RBR?
In both cases (Asus and Orbi), I'm using a ThinkPad E590 laptop hooked up to the 'satellite' on 2.5GHz WiFi.

What devices are you speed testing with?
Laptop on satellie (see above)

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
Single story, less than 3,000 sq ft.

What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡
Router and satelite is ~47 feet apart with about 3 or 4 inside walls between them.

Is Armor enabled or disabled?
I didn't turn it off so it must be on. How do you turn it off?

Since most everything is common between my tests could WiFi-6 just be slower? I installed a Orbi AC3000 for a friend a few weeks ago and I'm sure I saw about 100Mbps on www.speedtest.net."

Message 11 of 17
TAC57
Aspirant

@FURRYe38You must really rate around here since you could repost my info that someone must have taken offence to!  I find it unforunate that as a new user trying to figure out what is going on I get censored for some reason.

BTW I pay for 200Mbps up and down.

I'll let you know how my testing goes when I CAT5 into my router and connect via WiFi.

Message 12 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

I don't think your posting are getting sensored rather possible too soon for posting or possible duplication though other have been able to quote my info asked for. If it continues i'll have a forum moderator check it out for you. Probably just a something simple is all. 

Message 13 of 17
TAC57
Aspirant

@FURRYe38So I unplug the satellite and got 6 feet from the Orbi router and connect via 5GHz wifi and with speedtest I get a ping of 6ms, 195Mbps DL and 201Mbps UL.  When connecting to the router via CAT6 cable I see 3ms ping, 195Mbps DL and 202Mbps upload.

When moving the satellite back to the location about 50 feet from the router I drop to 20Mbps DL and 24Mbps UL.  In looking at the Orbi app on my phone it tells me my ThinkPad E590 is connected via 5GHz with a Link Rate of 780 Mbps!  What's up with the Link Rate?

Logging into the router it's reporting the connection type to the satellite is 2.4GHz and the Backhaul Status is Good.

Message 14 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

"Logging into the router it's reporting the connection type to the satellite is 2.4GHz and the Backhaul Status is Good." I would think the connection type should be at 5Ghz, not 2.4Ghz...Maybe the reason why speeds are low here.

Message 15 of 17
TAC57
Aspirant

@FURRYe38Thanks for all your input in this issue.  I ended up having to move my satellite around until I got the blue light on the front of the satellite for 90-180 seconds on reset to get a decent connection on the backhaul.  I'm looking at 190 Mbps Wifi connection now which I'm pretty happy with.  🙂

With issues like these I'm thinking the first step should be to move the router and satellite within about 30 feet line of sight and check the speed of the satellite.  If that is maxed (same speed if connected directly to the router via CAT5 cable) then start to move the satellite towards the desired location.  After moving every ten feet, or behind a new wall, then unplug the satellite to reboot and retest the WiFi speed.

I know there are alot of variable with these RF signals but I would have though the distance between, and what's between, would be a little more forgiving.  I would have like to keep the router in the basement under the great room but I had to move it upstair into the far corner of the great room to get a good signal.

Thanks again for all your time and input.

Message 16 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. Glad you got it working better. 

Ya will be various items that can effect wifi and performances. Basements are not recommended places for the host wifi router though. 

If it's working well for you, keep it where its at. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7