Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR750 and Satellite suddenly started dropping WiFi Devices

bosa84
Guide

Orbi RBR750 and Satellite suddenly started dropping WiFi Devices

I have an Orbi RBR750 plus one satellite (connected via Lan).

Everything worked great for many months, but a few weeks ago the Orbis started disconnecting iPhones and iPads.

Sometimes once a day, sometimes it is impossible to get things working for more than a few minutes.

Right now for example, I had to re-connect an iPad 5 times in the last hour, my iPhone about 3 times.

The wired connections all work great, internet is also working.

I have a feeling it gets bad when 2 or 3 wireless devices are actively doing a lot (zoom session + downloads or so).

Already months ago I realized that when my iPhone had to download a big iOS upgrade or a bunch of app-updates, it would suddenly be kicked out of the WiFi. But it is definitely getting worse, to a degree that it is at daytime keeping us from working and infuriating to the family at night.

Very disappointing, also because before buying these Orbis I already read a few reviews saying that this started happening after a while - I should not have ignored that.

Please help.

Message 1 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Is the RBS connected directly the the back of the RBR or is there any LAN swtich in between? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor.

Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set CTS to 2347. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 2 of 13
bosa84
Guide

Thanks FURRYe38, answers below:

-> the latest: V4.6.3.16_2.0.51

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
-> Arris TM1602 (but that did not change)

Is the RBS connected directly the the back of the RBR or is there any LAN swtich in between? 
-> There is Netgear GS105 in between, but that also did not change and was working fine for months

What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.

-> Using Auto. I will try your recommendations

-> About 5

Armor.
-> was always disabled

Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set CTS to 2347. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings
-> I only see a "Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence " but I cannot specify 40. Will try your other recommendations

Message 3 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

@bosa84 wrote:

-> Arris TM1602 (but that did not change)

-> There is Netgear GS105 in between, but that also did not change and was working fine for months

-> Using Auto. I will try your recommendations

-> About 5

Armor.
-> was always disabled

-> I only see a "Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence " but I cannot specify 40. Will try your other recommendations< Remove the check mark from the box then select apply. This sets 40Mhz only. 

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem, Switch and Orbi system been performed since last update?

Message 4 of 13
raven_au
Virtuoso

@bosa84 wrote:

I presume that you have checked if forgetting the wireless connection on your mobile device and re-connecting it helps.

The new firmware update you are using may have included an update to the wireless drivers and the device parameters could need refreshing.

Message 5 of 13
bosa84
Guide

I will methodically go through the suggested changes.

Yesterday I did this: Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set CTS to 2347. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

It seemed to work better this morning, but by mit day it started dropping iOS devices again.

I use 2 iPads. Once one gets dropped, I sometimes can simply reconnect, but often the first bit of network activity then makes it drop again. Then I did let it sit for 5 minutes and the reconnect and then wait another 5 minutes until I start using it for network stuff. That worked better, but next thing my iPhone get kicked out of the WiFi.

It really feels like the Orbis are just overwhelmed with juggling the  iOS devices.

Will try the 'forget network' on all iOS next. After that I'll try the channel settings you recommended.

Thanks again!

Message 6 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Try setting 2307 for CTS. 

Try disabling AX mode as well...

Others have mentioned doing a reset and setup from scratch is helping them...

@bosa84 wrote:

I will methodically go through the suggested changes.

Yesterday I did this: Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set CTS to 2347. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

It seemed to work better this morning, but by mit day it started dropping iOS devices again.

I use 2 iPads. Once one gets dropped, I sometimes can simply reconnect, but often the first bit of network activity then makes it drop again. Then I did let it sit for 5 minutes and the reconnect and then wait another 5 minutes until I start using it for network stuff. That worked better, but next thing my iPhone get kicked out of the WiFi.

It really feels like the Orbis are just overwhelmed with juggling the  iOS devices.

Will try the 'forget network' on all iOS next. After that I'll try the channel settings you recommended.

Thanks again!

Message 7 of 13
bosa84
Guide

I have tried many of the recommended suggestions, to no avail.

I have clearly observed that with more devices in use at the same, the dropping of devices is increasing.

This mainly affects an iPhone and 2 iPads (so it could be mac/ iOS specific) and it seems (but not 100% verified) that it happens when those devices are connected to our one Satellite (which is wired to the main Orbi).

We are 3 people working/ doing school from home. When everyone is around, the above mentioned devices at time get dropped once an hour.

Is there any word by Netgear about this? I cannot try more micro-adjustments that do not seem to change anything.

Considering adding my old netgear wifi router as a fixed WiFi hotspot, because the constant dropping is something I cannot work with.

@netgear anyone?

Message 8 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you disabled WiFi Private Address featured on the iPhones and iPads? 

Message 9 of 13
bosa84
Guide

The devices that keep being dropped have iOS 10, 12 and 15. 10 and 12 do not even have that option.

What completely startles me is that the first months were fine.

And looking on google it feels like dozens (if not more) are having the same issue and in many cases this also started after working fine for monay months.

Message 10 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 11 of 13
bosa84
Guide

Sorry, I am a consumer .. I will not start installing unreleased firmware updates. I actually do not have time beta testing this for netgear.

Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Of course, thats up to you.

Others are reporting better results with the newer FW.

So you'll need to wait for NG to release something offcially. You'll need to contact NG support and continue to have them help you there:

https://my.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Good Luck. 

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7