Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR850 E-Mail settings not working?

ssgtweasel
Guide

Orbi RBR850 E-Mail settings not working?

Orbi RBR850 E-Mail settings not working to send logs?

I have gmail and I have yet to be able to have the Orbi email my logs - as I trouble shoot up and down connections in the past 24 hours.

Outgoing mail server: smtp.gmail.com

I have Outgoing port: 465

I do use authentication and confirmed username/password is correct that I entered

I did receive an email from gmail and confirmed the activity is mine

Any recommendations for settings?

Message 1 of 7
Mikey94025
Hero

Re: Orbi RBR850 E-Mail settings not working?

What you pasted seems correct for Gmail per https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/How-to-set-up-security-event-email-notifications/m-p/1804422#M....  Make sure you didn't mistype "smtp.gmail.com" and in the User Name field, just enter your gmail account and not the "@gmail.com" suffix.  A screen shot of the Adanced / Security / E-mail page can also help us diagnose.

The next step is to go to http://orbilogin.com/, Advanced tab, Administration, Logs and look for the error log entry that tells you why Orbi's attempt to connect to that SMTP server failed.  For example, my first attempt to send logs via Gmail failed because I had not enabled "Less Secure App Access".  In my Orbi log was this error entry:

Tuesday, Nov 02,2021 07:28:14 [email failed] -5.7.8 Username and Password not accepted. Learn more at, 

After turning on Less Secure App Access the log now contains this successful entry after pressing the Send Log button:

Tuesday, Nov 02,2021 07:28:22 [email sent to: mikey94025@gmail.com]

Message 2 of 7
ssgtweasel
Guide

Thanks for the advice!!!

I changed gmail settings to less secure

I changed to just username without @Gmail.com

I confirmed "smtp.gmail.com" and port 465

@Mikey94025 wrote:

What you pasted seems correct for Gmail per https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/How-to-set-up-security-event-email-notifications/m-p/1804422#M....  Make sure you didn't mistype "smtp.gmail.com" and in the User Name field, just enter your gmail account and not the "@gmail.com" suffix.  A screen shot of the Adanced / Security / E-mail page can also help us diagnose.

The next step is to go to http://orbilogin.com/, Advanced tab, Administration, Logs and look for the error log entry that tells you why Orbi's attempt to connect to that SMTP server failed.  For example, my first attempt to send logs via Gmail failed because I had not enabled "Less Secure App Access".  In my Orbi log was this error entry:

Tuesday, Nov 02,2021 07:28:14 [email failed] -5.7.8 Username and Password not accepted. Learn more at, 

After turning on Less Secure App Access the log now contains this successful entry after pressing the Send Log button:

Tuesday, Nov 02,2021 07:28:22 [email sent to: mikey94025@gmail.com]

I'm seeing below error in log now - no emails as of yet. I did check spam/junk folders and nothing

[email failed] Too many login attempts, please try again later. p62sm728107oif.43 - gsmtp, Tuesday, Nov 02,2021 14:37:43

Message 3 of 7
Mikey94025
Hero

@ssgtweasel wrote:

[email failed] Too many login attempts, please try again later. p62sm728107oif.43 - gsmtp, Tuesday, Nov 02,2021 14:37:43

Are you sure you did not mistype your password?  Verify that when you login to www.gmail.com it works as entered.  Another guess is that your incorrect settings from before have exceeded the maximum number of login attempts allowed by Google per day, so wait a couple days and see if it succeeds.

Message 4 of 7
ssgtweasel
Guide

After working with google tech support I was informed I would need SMTP Relay which is included in the business class (pay for) account
I assume I can do that or find a free smtp relay service?
All other sterling’s were confirmed valid
Message 5 of 7
HegoDamask
Initiate

Not sure if anyone else found a resolution to authenticating to gmail but here's what worked for me. Logs posted as well.

Primary E-mail address: your_email_address@gmail.com

Your Outgoing Mail Server: smtp.gmail.com

Outgoing Mail Server Port Number: 465 (587 would not authenticate, that is log entry 21:09:34

My mail server requires authentication: true, check the box

User Name: your_email_address@gmail.com

Password: This seemed to be the trick. Google requires a sort of secure 3rd party application authentication process. Go to your google settings > Security > App Passwords > Generate an App Password (Name it Orbi or whatever) and use this App Password for your Password.

[email sent to: your_email_address@gmail.com] Wednesday, Nov 03,2021 21:12:06
[email failed] fail to connect to outgoing mail server, Wednesday, Nov 03,2021 21:09:34
[email failed] -5.7.9 Application-specific password required. Learn more at, Wednesday, Nov 03,2021 21:07:40
[email failed] -5.7.9 Application-specific password required. Learn more at, Wednesday, Nov 03,2021 21:06:11
[email failed] -5.7.9 Application-specific password required. Learn more at, Wednesday, Nov 03,2021 21:05:23
[email failed] -5.7.8 Username and Password not accepted. Learn more at, Wednesday, Nov 03,2021 21:00:52
[email failed] -5.7.8 Username and Password not accepted. Learn more at, Wednesday, Nov 03,2021 20:59:56
[email failed] -5.7.8 Username and Password not accepted. Learn more at, Wednesday, Nov 03,2021 20:58:54
[email failed] -5.7.0 Authentication Required. Learn more at, Wednesday, Nov 03,2021 20:58:07
[email failed] fail to connect to outgoing mail server, Wednesday, Nov 03,2021 20:51:51

Message 6 of 7
ssgtweasel
Guide

Well by PFM (purefnmagic)- I started to get slammed with emails from my Orbi in the middle of the night

I didn't make anychanges

I didn't setup an SMTP Relay Service

Below is what is confiigured and working:

email
smtp.gmail.com
email
password

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos