Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR850 Intermittent internet connection

WA1MPB
Follower

Orbi RBR850 Intermittent internet connection

I have looked through previous responses but cannot find one that matches my condition.  I am using ATT fiber, with a 5268AC modem.  Previously this was also my router, but I have turned off the 2.4 and 5 GHz radios so that this is now only a modem.  In December, 2020 I installed and activated an Orbi RBR850 with 2 satellites.  With the exception of not being able to update the firmware, everything was working great, both satellites worked with WIFI coverage throughout my 2-story home.  No VPN is in use.  All items in use are either hardwired to the router/satellite or are connected via 2.4/5 GHz.  The only cat 5 cable connected to the modem goes to the router.  Netgear Armor is not activated.

About a week ago, the connection to the internet started dropping for no apparent reason.  The ATT modem was showing connectivity to the internet, but our various devices, such as Apple iPads, Apple TV, Apple Macs, etc., were no longer connected.  Finally, 2 days ago I did a Factory Reset of the RBR850, as well as the 2 satellites.  In doing so, the Orbi router and satellites updated to the most current firmware, V3.2.18.1_1.4.14

That was accomplished Monday evening.  Yesterday, as well as today, we continue to get  internet connectivity intermittently.

I am not proficient in the abbreviations that are thrown about, so if anyone can help, please spell out the steps I need to take.  Thanks!

Message 1 of 3
titaniumrx8
Apprentice

Re: Orbi RBR850 Intermittent internet connection

I'd start by contacting ATT. Just because the light on the modem shows an internet connection doesn't mean it has a solid connection. My Spectrum modem can show that it still has internet an hour into an outage.

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR850 Intermittent internet connection

Turning OFF the wifi radios on the modem/router doesn't make it a modem only. There maybe a settings to put the modem into actual bridge or modem only mode. Something to ask about. 

@WA1MPB wrote:

I have looked through previous responses but cannot find one that matches my condition.  I am using ATT fiber, with a 5268AC modem.  Previously this was also my router, but I have turned off the 2.4 and 5 GHz radios so that this is now only a modem.  In December, 2020 I installed and activated an Orbi RBR850 with 2 satellites.  With the exception of not being able to update the firmware, everything was working great, both satellites worked with WIFI coverage throughout my 2-story home.  No VPN is in use.  All items in use are either hardwired to the router/satellite or are connected via 2.4/5 GHz.  The only cat 5 cable connected to the modem goes to the router.  Netgear Armor is not activated.

About a week ago, the connection to the internet started dropping for no apparent reason.  The ATT modem was showing connectivity to the internet, but our various devices, such as Apple iPads, Apple TV, Apple Macs, etc., were no longer connected.  Finally, 2 days ago I did a Factory Reset of the RBR850, as well as the 2 satellites.  In doing so, the Orbi router and satellites updated to the most current firmware, V3.2.18.1_1.4.14

That was accomplished Monday evening.  Yesterday, as well as today, we continue to get  internet connectivity intermittently.

I am not proficient in the abbreviations that are thrown about, so if anyone can help, please spell out the steps I need to take.  Thanks!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7