Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi - RBR850 -WAN Port speed problems to Arris S33 - Surfboard DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem

hnz980
Tutor

Orbi - RBR850 -WAN Port speed problems to Arris S33 - Surfboard DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem

Hello, 

My Oribi Wifi 6 router is connecting at 100 mbps speeds to my Arris S33 DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem.

I am using the Cat 5E cables that were supplied. 

My provider is Xfinity/Comcast and I have had GigE service for a while.

I recently upgraded from the Arris SB8200 to the newes version S33.

I had the provider trobleshoot the connection everthing checked out with the modem. I had a tech from Comcast come out and test the Cable speed and it checked out at GigE. I contacted Arris support and the Cable Modem checked out.

They mentioned to contact Netgear to find out why I am getting 100 mbps WAN speed. 

Hardware VersionRBR850

Firmware VersionV3.2.18.1_1.4.14

GUI Language VersionV3.0.0.51_2.1.30.3

Operation ModeRouter

Message 1 of 15
plemans
Guru

Re: Orbi - RBR850 -WAN Port speed problems to Arris S33 - Surfboard DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem

not the tech but when you connect a pc/laptop to the S33, what speeds do you get? 

Have you tried changing to a cat 6 or great cable? 

What device are you testing wan speeds on? 

Message 2 of 15
hnz980
Tutor

I have not tried cat 6 cable. I will give that a go.

When I do a hard wire directly to the S33 from my mac m1 with the Netgear supplied gig 5e. I get gigE speeds.

Message 3 of 15
plemans
Guru

Some cat 5e (cheaper ones) have been sketchy at best. I've had them with gig speeds for certain devices and not for others. 

Its usually why I'd recommend trying a different cable first. 

Also, look at the port on the router. Maybe a pin is bent or dirty causing it to limit to only 10/100mbps connections links

Message 4 of 15
hnz980
Tutor

I powered down the Arris and powered down the Orbi and disconnected all the cables.

I started up the Arris and Orbi and the Arris registered blue then I plugged the cat 8 cable into the wan port on the Orbi. 

I did a test and I am still getting 100M/Full. The statistics show the WAN PORT at 100M/Full on the Advanced tab.

Message 5 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

I would get into a diffeent modem. This Arris S33 seems to be problematic at best. Seen others having problem with the model modem. My 850 connect fine to a  NG CM1200 modem at 1000Mbs. Also connects to a CAX80 at 2.5Gb as well. 

Message 6 of 15
plemans
Guru

Are you plugging into the 2.5g or the 1 gig port on the s33? Did you try then both?
Message 7 of 15
hnz980
Tutor

I ended up taking the S33 back and getiting the NightHawk CM2000-100NAS.

I have tried the supplied yellow 5e cable that came with the Nighthawk. I also tried a cat 6 cable and a cat 8 cable.

I am getting 100 MB on the Nighthawk cable modem and still on the Orbi WAN page.

I have tried a factory reset and it did not fix the problem.

I was told a firmware update v.3.3 was available for the RBR850 and RBS850. Could not find it on the Netgear website.

When I plug in the cat 6 from my Nighthawk Cable Modem I get gige speeds. Not sure what is going on.

Does Comcast control the port speeds on the Nighthawk when provisioning the cable modem or is this automatically done between the Orbi RBR850 and the Nighthawk CM2000?

Message 8 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, Sounds like the RBR850 is faulty and needs replacing. If two different model modems exhibits same problem on the RBR, and you confirmed direct PC to modem is getting Gb speeds, then the RBR seems to be the problem. I recommend you return the Orbi system and get another box set to try. 

Message 9 of 15
hnz980
Tutor

The RBR850 is past the warranty. I was told by Netgear support there is a new firmware update 3.3 available.

I am unable to find it.

I was going to give that a shot. I have one RBR850 and two RBS850 devices. Really surprised the hardware is bad considering it is not far out of warranty. I had the first gen. Oribi and never had an issue with it.

I have been looking for a replacement RBR850 and it does not appear to be an option to only purchase just the RBR850.

I was considering the following. Although, I have read nothing but customers with problems due to the firmware.

AXE11000 WiFi Router (RAXE500)

Message 10 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Not aware of any v3.3 versioned FW. There is a beta thats v3.2.18.223

Message 11 of 15
hnz980
Tutor

Went out and purchased the NightHawk 6E wiith range extender and pluged the WAN port into the Nighthawk cable modem wth the supplied cat 5e cablle similiar to the Orbi and the gige port lit up immediately.

I am at a loss why the Orbi would only do 100 mb instead of gige.

I wanted to know if this has anything to due with the present firmware version V3.2.18.1_1.4.14 and could there potentially be a bug in this versioin.

Really frustrating because this is my second round of Orbi's and never had any problems until recently. 

Not much fun having to go out a year later and purchase another Orbi 6E and Satellite because of an unknown issue with the wan port.

What does not make since is the product works just fine with 100mb but not gige.

Message 12 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible the RBR is faulty if you tried a different model router and it works and the RBR850 doesn't. Something to contact NG suppoort about. 

You can try the beta FW thats available and see if this helps any. Seems like it maybe a HW issue though. 

Contact @Christian_R for access to the beta v223 FW. 

Ask NG to help you collect debub logs on the RBR. 

Message 13 of 15
Mikey94025
Hero

My RBR850 running the Beta firmware (3.2.18.223) has no problems connecting its WAN port at 2500M/Full with my Xfinity modem/router.  It did the same with the latest non-Beta firmware version (3.2.18.1).  It does sound like your RBR may have a hardware problem.  It is unfortunate but does happen.

One last check - In your Internet setup, make sure WAN Preference is not set to WAN aggregation.  I don't even have that checked because my Xfinity modem has a 2.5Gb port.

Message 14 of 15
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

@hnz980 

I am not directly related to this product, but please DM me.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7