Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR850 - can't run Amazon Prime Video and IPhone wifi calling fails to send voice

dan_ro_ga
Tutor

Orbi RBR850 - can't run Amazon Prime Video and IPhone wifi calling fails to send voice

I purchased the latest Orbi from BestBuy, seemed to work fine. But tried to strean Amazon Prime Video, and it fails, on any device (two tv's and ipad). Also found that when making a WIFI call, the person receiving the phone call can't hear my voice. Anyone else experiencing this?

Also, they released a new firmware update, late yesterday, but it won't download and its not available on the downloads page.

I'm not having much faith that this update will fix these issues. I'm considering returning it for a full refund. 

I have ATT Fiber to my house 1gb (940/940), and I've worked with computers for 30+ years. This level of failure is sad...

-Dan

Message 1 of 64
plemans
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR850 - can't run Amazon Prime Video and IPhone wifi calling fails to send voice

does this fiber box have an integrated modem?

This puts you in a double nat and can cause the issues you're describing.

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

A couple options is to place the fiber box in passthrough/modem only mode (challenging with ATT) or to place the orbi in AP (access point mode). 

Message 2 of 64
dan_ro_ga
Tutor

Yes, the ATT fiber box is a 2Wire 5268AC, and it is set to DMZ+, which allows the IP to pass back to the Orbi system and all traffic to pass through, so its not double NAT condition. 

Message 3 of 64
plemans
Guru

ATT isn't known for making devices that have a well designed passthrough mode. The 2Wire 5268AC particularly not. It still inspects the packets and compares them to a nat table.

https://forums.att.com/t5/AT-T-Fiber-Equipment/How-to-run-Pace-5268AC-in-simple-bridge-mode/td-p/529...

I'd try putting the att back in router mode, disable its wifi, and place the orbi in AP mode. You lose some functions of the Orbi router.  But with using ATT and that device in particular, it might be your option to avoid the NAT issue.  

Message 4 of 64
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP ONT the NG router is connected too?

What FW version is being made available to you? Is this seen on the RBRs FW update web page? 

What browser are you using? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 5 of 64
dan_ro_ga
Tutor

The network device previously was a R9000, which after a firmware update would barely get about 20 mb download speed, but an older R7000, would perform in the 100-200 mb range... none of these had an issue with the ATT router. Its not an ATT issue (NAT or otherwise), its an Orbi issue. 

As a note, all of my TV's are running a 'wired' connection, so this isn't a WiFi issue, its the Orbi wired connection that can't handle the data. I've tried using the Wifi connection as well, same issue. All of the wired machines in my house show download speeds of 940ish/900ish, so it can let data through.

The Satellite is wired (backhaul) as well. And I've tried having not wired, via beaming, and it doesn't matter.

The download, which fails in the orbilogin.com connection, shows an V3.2.8.5 on the satellite, but never shows a new version for the router, just indicates 'update failed'. Neither of them have a newer update on the Netgear download page. The download page shows 3.2.7.2 as the current option there. The Orbi router currently shows V3.2.7.2_1.1.7 on the status page. 

I've considered putting it in AP mode, and trying things, but why pay this much money for a product that doesn't work. Plus manipulating the ATT router for IP routing/etc is a pain in the arse...

I'll try this firmware (if/when I get it) and see if it fixes the issues. Otherwise, this goes back to Bestbuy for the full refund. 

Message 6 of 64
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP ONT the NG router is connected too? We'd like to know this information. If the ISP router is active, we can try something to see if it helps with getting the operations working. If the ISP router is active you are in a double NAT condition which will be a cause of problems. AP mode would be a good test to try to see if this changed the behavior on what your seeing. 

Just be cuase there is a FW upate for the RBS doesn't mean there is one for the RBR. NG maybe working separately on FW updates for each unit and completed FW and testing for the RBS. I would be safe to update the RBS. 

I've not seen this kind of behavior with my system nor with any other orbi system. Both of my Orbi systems are online currently and working as expected. 

Message 7 of 64
dan_ro_ga
Tutor

The ATT Router is a Pace 5268AC. It is in DMZ+ mode, passing through all data. And had no issues with previous Netgear routers (R9000 & R7000)

The Netgear support resources are the ones that told me about the new release, since it is not reflected on their web page. The update was noted to them late in the day yesterday. I know the version of the new update because it is shown/listed on the satellite line, but since it can't download the updates/ you can't install that version. And since its not available on the netgear download page, neither the RBR or the RBS can be downloaded for a manual install. 

And please note, I'm running through the Orbi router as I write this, it works in some cases, just doesn't allow Amazon Prime Video to play and doesn't allow the outbound 'voice' from IPhones(you can hear them, they can't hear you). Apple IOS updates also fail to process. There maybe other functions that fail, but only those three have been found so far. 

I realize that SOME people aren't having these issues with their equipment. But these two pieces of equipment (Router/Satellite) are having those issues. If this next firmware update fixes these issues, great. The reason for this upgrade was to get the max out of my 1GB fiber connection. And I realize, many folks don't have that high level of input/output either. But if I have to limit the functionality of Orbi 850's to 'make' them work, it defeats the purpose of purchasing this solution. 

Message 8 of 64
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you powered OFF the ISP modem for 30 seconds then back ON after setting up DMZ for the RBR and while the ISP modem is comeing back to ready, factory reset the RBR and set up from scratch? 

Testing with the RBS OFF, do you still see the bad streaming behavior with just the RBR online? 

I should have mentioned earlier, there is a known issue I I found with the RBS being wire connected. I reported this a while back as well. I would remove the RBS from wired ethernet and test with the RBS wirelessly connected.

Is the RBS directly connected to the RBR when wire connected or is there a switch in between the RBR and RBS? 

Another thing you might do is ask NG support for a link to the newest version of FW so you can download it and manually install them. 

Message 9 of 64
dan_ro_ga
Tutor

Yes, we've restarted the ISP modem and started the RBR from scratch, several times. I just did it again, and I have the satellite unpluged, power and network wise. Now the orbilogin.com gui shows the message 'service unreachable' on the firmware update screen, so I'm thinking they are experiencing a lot of attempted downloads and the servers are failing at netgear for the downloads. I will ask for a direct URL when I call them again. 

I had previously tested with the satellite running on its 5G wireless connection, and it didn't make any difference.  I'm going to wait for the support page to get the fw update available. The support resources at Netgear seemed to think it was a buffering issue with the RBR, and hoped the fw update would address it. Not sure if they actually knew that from somewhere, or just praying that it would resolve this issue...

Message 10 of 64
FURRYe38
Guru

Have them help you get the debug logs from the RBR. This should be one thing they should be reviewing. 

192.168.1.1/debug.htm

And as last resort, you may just have a bad unit out of the box and just needs to be RMAd. 

Message 11 of 64
dan_ro_ga
Tutor

Thanks for the debug info, at least that showed me some things. Its possible that the next release might be V3.2.8.5_1.2.3 since I did find that in one of the files when I ran debug during an update attempt. I not sure that is real or not, but be a placeholder to look for a greater version. Either way, if the FW doesn't address the issues, then I'll return it. If BestBuy has another in stock, I can try again. It is definately possible that the hardware production isn't quite up to snuff and thus producing some bad units. Considering the number of bad reviews to good reviews, this could be the case.

Message 12 of 64
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it turns out. 

Message 13 of 64
dan_ro_ga
Tutor

just an update for you all,

the latest patch does not fix the issue. I did a test of Amazon Prime Video and it still halts, wired or wireless, it made no difference. I did get an email update from support this morning asking for more time to resolve the issue, so I'm guessing that others are having the same issue.

-Dan R.

Message 14 of 64
sabeens
Aspirant

Wife and I watched Prime last night without issues, I know that doesn’t help much but it was on Apple TV. I’ve been watching football on it as well with no issues

I did have bad Apple TV problems initially on the ax system, Sounded like a similar issue to yours, streaming would work initially but would then go into constant buffer mode. It was any app, on every Apple TV I had(have 6 in house, some 1080p, some 4K). It took a few weeks but a fw update resolved it.

From the beta board there is no current beta fw offered that I can see.
Message 15 of 64
FURRYe38
Guru

Do you load the FW and continue or load FW and factory reset and setup from scratch?

@dan_ro_ga wrote:

just an update for you all,

the latest patch does not fix the issue. I did a test of Amazon Prime Video and it still halts, wired or wireless, it made no difference. I did get an email update from support this morning asking for more time to resolve the issue, so I'm guessing that others are having the same issue.

-Dan R.

Message 16 of 64
dan_ro_ga
Tutor

Thanks for the info,mine are direct wired from netgear switches to the TV's. And I've tried both wired and wireless and the buffering issue continues...

if it was just the prime video I could get by waiting for a fixed FW, but it also drops the outgoing voice on wife calls on iphone (quite irritating!) so I've only got patience for a few more days.

but again, thanks for the info!

-Dan

Message 17 of 64
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/RBR-850-Firmware-V3-2-8-5-1-2-3/m-p/1834805/highlight/true#...

@dan_ro_ga wrote:

Thanks for the info,mine are direct wired from netgear switches to the TV's. And I've tried both wired and wireless and the buffering issue continues...

if it was just the prime video I could get by waiting for a fixed FW, but it also drops the outgoing voice on wife calls on iphone (quite irritating!) so I've only got patience for a few more days.

but again, thanks for the info!

-Dan

Message 18 of 64
dan_ro_ga
Tutor

No Glory...same issues, factory rest, etc, etc, etc....a few more days to see if they release a fix in the FW to address, but by this weekend it goes back to BestBuy.

Message 19 of 64
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, thanks for letting us know. 

I'll check mine as I have mine in AP mode behind a XR450 currently. Possible this maybe a router side issue. 

Message 20 of 64
DoctorA
Luminary

I have ATT fiber with their newer residential Gateway BGW-210 RGW in IP Passthrough mode and WiFi antennas disabled. It shows Nat server disabled. During the initial setup I first restarted the ONT after I put the BGW-210 in IP Passthrough mode. Then I restarted the Orbi Router not connected to the satellites. Works smoothly with my RBK 852 system with 2 additional RBS 50 satellites . I have the latest NG firmware on both.

Iphone WiFI calling was working smoothly before and after the latest NG update working fine  after I power restarted the iPhone XsMax. Will test the Amazon Prime Video and report back.

Update:  Amazon Prime Video works as well.

The easiest solution is getting rid of the old Pace Router.

Message 21 of 64
dan_ro_ga
Tutor

Thanks for the info. I'm not discounting that the hardware I have is the cause of the issue. I don't believe the ATT modem is causing the issue in anyway, specificly since the 'wired' connections all show the same issue with the Amazon Prime Video on each tv. It is interesting that you are using those other two satelites since I didn't think they would would work with the new RBK852 AX environment. In fact I thought that only one satelite  (RBS852) was the option currently (not that I need more), The older satelites wouldn't support the AX features, they are AC level communications only.

Message 22 of 64
DoctorA
Luminary

Currently RBS 50 (AC3000) satellites are working only in wired mode and your are correct that they do not and cannot support Wi-Fi 6 features. iPhone 11 is faster near RBR 850 and RBS 850. The reason I got the new system, RBK 852, is the ability of the router that supports 60 devices.
So far my 45 devices work great.
Message 23 of 64
Bandito
Luminary

@dan_ro_ga 

Just for fun, have you tried wiring one of your TVs directly to the AT&T modem to verify that you can still stream correctly?  You'd likely have to set up your TV's IP address and configuration manually, which can be a little tricky, but it would be a good test.

I can't think of anything that Netgear could be doing on the router's hardwired ports that would cause this as they are most likely just running standard switch hardware so there's probably no software component involved here.  The ports on the satellite could be affected by software as, if they are connected by the WiFi backhaul, everything must be translated to go over WiFi.

Just a thought.

Message 24 of 64
dan_ro_ga
Tutor

I did do what you suggest, but did it wirelessly. I re-enabled the att wifi signals, and then connected the tv to that SID and it works fine. And that proved to me that its an Orbi issue. And although you are correct it should be 'switch' like functions, they are obviously interogating the 'wire' since all my pc's are hardwired, and they connect to orbilogin.net (ie 10.0.0.1) and can manage the router. That tells me they are doing more than just 'switch' work. I'm about to return the orbi to bestbuy, and go back to my older netgear router (which never had an issue with the att modem, but was just too slow do to firmware updates..previous netgear router didn't have issues either...) I could return the Orbi, and buy another one, they are now $50 cheaper...maybe because they aren't rocketing off the shelf due to the issues people are having. Ninety five percent of the public won't put up with the factory resets/ firmware updates, etc on a product they charge $699 for. And that it works for some and not others makes wonder if there is a manufacturing issue as well.

ho ho ho...merry christmas...

Message 25 of 64
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 63 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7