Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR850 with Centurylink Fiber

mrymk
Initiate

Orbi RBR850 with Centurylink Fiber

Hello Everyone,

I have a question. I am changing my Dads router to the Orbi RBR850 with Centrylink. Previous the router was at my house where I had no problems, only diff is that I have Xfinity. 

I have tried to configure the PPOE setting with the correct user name and password however no luck. I tells me that it can non find the internet.

There is no Modem since its fiber so eveything coming into the house in COAX with CAT 5 cabeling coming into a switch at the juncion box and then lighting up the ports in the house. 

Help would be appreciated.

Mike

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. Please mark your thead and solved so others will know. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

I would also ensure your using good quality LAN cables. CAT6 is recommended. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ONT the RBR is connected too? 

Does using DHCP instead of PPPoE result in any difference? 

Try powering OFF both RBR and ONT for 30 seconds then back ON. 

I would contact the ISP and ask for help and information on this. Possible that PPPOE may not be needed. 

Message 2 of 8
macyak
Guide

I have the same setup, and I couldn't connect the Orbi router directly to the ONT (the Optical Network Terminal, the box the fiber connection goes to). You need something in between the ONT and the Orbi to handle VLAN tagging.That could be a modem, but it can also just be a network switch. Just make sure you get one that handles VLAN tagging -- I bought a ProSafe switch and that did the trick.

Here's an article on it: https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31043915-How-to-almost-use-any-router-with-CenturyLink-s-1-Gig-Int...

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this?

@mrymk wrote:

Hello Everyone,

I have a question. I am changing my Dads router to the Orbi RBR850 with Centrylink. Previous the router was at my house where I had no problems, only diff is that I have Xfinity. 

I have tried to configure the PPOE setting with the correct user name and password however no luck. I tells me that it can non find the internet.

There is no Modem since its fiber so eveything coming into the house in COAX with CAT 5 cabeling coming into a switch at the juncion box and then lighting up the ports in the house. 

Help would be appreciated.

Mike

Message 4 of 8
mrymk
Initiate

Here’s what I did tonight to resolve this. I found out that CenturyLink by default tags their internet traffic with 201. I then logged into the admin console while it was being configured and performed the following.

Call Centurylink for your pppoe username and password and vlan number which is (201)
Have laptop and ethernet wire
Log on to orbilogin.net
On Basic tab
Make sure you have to the most updated firmware on your router and satellite
Once you determine your software is up to date
Enter your internet service provider pppoe and password
Go into your Advanced tab
Advance setting change to vlan to 201
Follow orbi instruction on set up
Your internet should connect
Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. Please mark your thead and solved so others will know. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 8
macyak
Guide

This is awesome, thanks for reporting back. I just configured mine the same way and cut out the switch in the middle. One less device to worry about!

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to make a backup configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed. Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7