Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBS850 (with satellite) keeps disconnecting Wi-Fi Computers

rhettarded
Aspirant

Orbi RBS850 (with satellite) keeps disconnecting Wi-Fi Computers

Hello folks, I'm having persisting problems of my orbi wifi disconnecting my laptops. I know it's only laptops since our phones are fine, and I say it's the orbi wifi because my wi-fi connection in school and everywhere else is fine too. I've searched this community, and tried a few of them, but I really can't figure it out. My PC is connected to the satellite (more than 30ft away from the router) and has no issues also. While typing this, I had to reconnect for around 3 minutes or so. The only way to have stable connection is to connect thru ethernet cable.

Below are my current settings and would like to ask for suggestions as to how to solve this persisting problem.

Current laptops, Thinkpads T490 (AC Wifi) and P17 (AX Wifi)

Orbi Firmware Version
V4.6.9.11_2.3.5

Orbi network settings:

rhettarded_1-1670366687807.png

Tried playing with the 5 GHz channels, still the same.

rhettarded_0-1670366150932.png

It is on router mode, from ATT Modem

rhettarded_1-1670366197686.pngrhettarded_2-1670366214136.pngrhettarded_3-1670366241651.png

I just enabled the IPv6 since my provider also provides it. Still issue persists.

rhettarded_0-1670366406978.png

No VLAN/Bridge, static routes, VPN service, Dynamic DNS, Web Service management was set up. 

Thank you in advance for your input! Hopefully this can be resolved.

Message 1 of 15
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Orbi RBS850 (with satellite) keeps disconnecting Wi-Fi Computers

Hello rhettarded,

Welcome to the NETGEAR Community!

I understand that you are having issues with stable connectivity to your laptop. 

Are your Orbi router and your ATT modem both in router mode?

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 2 of 15
rhettarded
Aspirant

Hello! I believe my modem router is disabled. Kindly confirm with the screenshot.

rhettarded_0-1670368251221.png

rhettarded_0-1670368350058.png

Message 3 of 15
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello @rhettarded ,

Thank you for your post!

I can tell that the SSID broadcast for your ATT modem has been disabled. Most of the time connectivity issues occur when there are two routers on the same network due to compatibility issues with the NAT protocol. If your ATT modem is still routing then this can cause stability issues for your network. 

Try changing your RBR850 to AP mode then check for stability issues. 

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 4 of 15
rhettarded
Aspirant

Hello Kevin, thank you for your suggestion. I have set it AP mode as you suggested, but unfortunately it still keeps disconnecting.

Here is the video, around 0:04-0:05 mark, it disconnects. It's the same for two laptops. Phones are still fine.

https://imgur.com/a/FmYEGGR
Message 5 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

@rhettarded wrote:

Hello! I believe my modem router is disabled. Kindly confirm with the screenshot.

The screen shot appears to indicate that the AT&T WiFi is disabled, but the AT&T device itself is in router mode.

It has assigned the IP address 192.168.1.107 to a device called RBR850 and the status is "on".

If you bring up the Orbi web browser interface and click on the Advanced Tab, the box Internet Port should show the IP address as being 192.168.1.107.

This "Double NAT" configuration interferes with specific applications, such as sharing a server on the internet, enabling VPN access into the Orbi LAN, and certain internet gaming.  (Internet search for "Double NAT" for more information.)  While this is not a preferred configuration, thousands of customers appear to be blissfully unaware because (for them) "everything works".

Can you describe more about "what happens"?

• Does a message appear on the laptop?
  • Does the laptop reconnect automatically?
  • Does anything appear in the Orbi log at the time a laptop disconnects?
  • What do you do to get the laptops connected again?
Message 6 of 15
rhettarded
Aspirant

As Kevin suggested, it is now on AP mode, and orbi router has a new IP address 192.168.1.163

Does a message appear on the laptop?
-no, it disconnects on its own
Does the laptop reconnect automatically?
-no, I have to manually reconnect to the network(please see link of video is my last reply)
Does anything appear in the Orbi log at the time a laptop disconnects?
-i will have to check it
What do you do to get the laptops connected again?
-i have to manually reconnect again, and to make it stable, my option is to only reconnect via ethernet which defeats the portability of a laptop.
Message 7 of 15
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello @rhettarded ,

Thank you for verifying that information!

In this case, it seems that your laptop disconnects but the network is still accessible. I understand you are able to access the network with no problem using your phone. The issue stated above could be due to outdated drivers on your laptop. Please check for updated drivers for your Thinkpad's wireless card. 

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 8 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

@rhettarded wrote:
-no, it disconnects on its own
Does the laptop reconnect automatically?
-no, I have to manually reconnect to the network(please see link of video is my last reply)

Thanks (sometimes posts "cross in the mail" while we are typing).

Is there any significance to the name "VPN Unlimited"?

Message 9 of 15
rhettarded
Aspirant

Yes, I have VPN Unlimited installed in my PC and one thinkpad. I doubt that is the culprit as I need to sign in and connect to be able to access a VPN. My other thinkpad that doesn't have it, but has the disconnecting issue. Also, this disconnects only on my home network, never in school or public places.

Message 10 of 15
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello @rhettarded ,

Try forgetting your home network and when you reconnect to it select public network.

@CrimpOn Has a point with the VPN. It showed as no internet. That can mean that it is active with no connection  Please ensure that it is disabled. 

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 11 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

Wonder what happens if the laptop attempts to open the regular WiFi adapter, rather than the VPN adapter?

Message 12 of 15
rhettarded
Aspirant

Hello Kevin, the VPN network can only be connected to when the desktop application VPN is signed in to and enabled. Regarding wifi drivers, I have both the latest. Do you think my laptops get confused about whether to connect to the main router or to the satellite?

Message 13 of 15
rhettarded
Aspirant

Hello CrimpOn! There's no VPN adapter, only the regular wifi adapter. VPN only gets 'enabled' thru the desktop app that I have to sign on to first.

rhettarded_0-1670374950528.png

rhettarded_1-1670374960851.png

I'm using only the ThinkPad that has no VPN program installed. Yet the issue still persists.

Now I'm wondering if there are supposed settings for my wifi adapter.

rhettarded_2-1670375097478.png

Message 14 of 15
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello @rhettarded,

Thanks for your post!

You are referring to the roaming aggressiveness feature built into your laptop. This causes your Wi-Fi card to constantly search and connect to the best signal.  Try turning it down and check if you are still having issues. 

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7