Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Rbk852 system very slow wifi speeds

awp317
Aspirant

Orbi Rbk852 system very slow wifi speeds

So would love some help to hopefully get my speeds where they should be.  I received in the mail last friday my system (orbi wifi 6 rbk852 system) I recently switched from the linksys velop system to the new orbi wifi 6 system hoping for a major speed upgrade when running wireless. Unfortunatly its been a downgrade from a 3 year old linksys system and really would like to get this working to keep the netgear setup. Looking for any suggestions on what it could be. I am in a brand new build house and have cat 7 cables run from the verizon ONT to the orbi directly in the middle of the house and the satellite placed on the second floor. The patch cable from the wall to the router is cat 7 as well. I have fios gig service and when running speed test on the wired computers I see 900-800 up/down easilly at all times. However on wifi even in the same room as the main orbi im lucky to see over 100 mbps. if I go to another room my speeds drop to 40-50Mbps. Ive done a factory reset on the system and it didnt improve. According to the App im running the latest firmware V3.2.10.11_1.2.12. With the old linksys system i would see an average of 100-140MBPS throughout the house, however its apples to oranges as that was my old house before moving into the new construction one. But was the same fios gig service. The netgear app on my iphone shows 938.38mbps, but on speed test shows 59.3mbps

Its not an unstable connection and has a strong signal throughout im just disappinted in the speeds im getting over wifi. Especally for 700 dollars. If this is really all I can get out of it i will send it back and go for a cheaper option. But dont want to do that as I saw tons of good reviews on it with people praising how fast it was over wifi. 

Thanks for any help. 

Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? 
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Be sure that CTS and RTS values are changed to 2347 under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

What model iPhone do you have? 

Use WiFi sweet spots app on the phone to check the connection rate of the phone while near by and connected to the main RBR unit. 

Message 2 of 11
awp317
Aspirant

Im not sure the manufacture of the ONT. if theres a place to find it please let me know. Its not a Modem like you would get with cox/spectrum that sits inside the house with a coaxial hooked up to it. I have verizon for internet only so its a grey box on the outside of the house that says "verizon" on the outside where the fiberoptic cable comes from the street and then enters the house via ethernet cable jack in my wall that is hooked directly into the back of the Orbi. On wifi speet spots I average 50-70MBPS sometimes dropping as low as 15-30MBPS if I go farther away. I have an Iphone 11 pro phone so it should have wifi 6 capabilities. Guestimate on the distance between the two orbis is 25-30 feet maybe a bit farther. But the speed is consistant whether on the first or second floor its just consistantly slow. 

2.4 GHZ is on auto 5 GHZ is on 36. Changed it from channel 40 with no difference. Havent tried any others. 

RTS Values were on (default?) 64 for both 2.4 and 5ghz have changed them to 2347 and will see if that improves anything. I do have a house on either side of me that im sure both use wifi. Not sure how to ever change that haha. Thanks!

Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Look for any stickers or case branding. Might ask the ISP about this to see if there system as a built in router or not. If not, then your ok here. 

Message 4 of 11
awp317
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Look for any stickers or case branding. Might ask the ISP about this to see if there system as a built in router or not. If not, then your ok here. 

Ok will look for stickers. I can tell you the ONT that i have doesnt provide wifi. Again this is outside the house not anything inside the property. IN my old house I had Fios TV as well and they had to have their interior router in to provide TV via coaxials and ethernet for internet and it would broadcast its own wifi that you would have to turn off in the settings. In this house since I no longer use fios for TV and just use it for internet, the only wifi being broadcasted is from my own system (the Orbi RBK). As the interior box is no longer needed for TV purposes. At this point i wonder if I have a defective Orbi system. 

Message 5 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Might try v11.2 FW as well...

Message 6 of 11
Bandito
Luminary

Double check to make sure that WMM is enabled on the Orbi router.  If it happens to be disabled that can cause slow throughput speeds.

Other than that, you may want to upgrade to the very latest firmware and then factory reset the Orbi's and reconfigure everything.  

Message 7 of 11
awp317
Aspirant

According to the Orbi app I am up to date on firmware. Not sure what to do there. Running 3.2.10.11. 

also im not sure how to access WMM in settings, Google says to go to Qos Settings in advanced tab, but that just gives me the ability to run a speed test. 

Message 8 of 11
Mikey94025
Hero

@awp317 wrote:

also im not sure how to access WMM in settings, Google says to go to Qos Settings in advanced tab, but that just gives me the ability to run a speed test. 

Go to Advanced tab... Advanced on the left... Wireless.  In Advanced Wireless Settings there are checkboxes for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz: Enable WMM (Wi-Fi multimedia) settings.

Message 9 of 11
awp317
Aspirant

WMM was enabled for both. I disabled for fun to see, no difference. Im just going to send the system back I think. If this is all the performance I can get out of it, it is most certanly not worth 700 dollars. Wish I would have seen speeds I read about. But I think since the house is wired for cat 7 Im just going to swap to wired access points, wires arent in a perfect place for an access point but it should be better than the mesh performance. 

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

For most currnet updates, please check on NG download site as the app sometimes doen't report whats on the update site:

https://www.netgear.com/support/

v10.11 is not the most recent version of FW. 

You should be seeing to spec speeds on wired tests. Wireless maybe different depending upon wireless devices support and design. 

@awp317 wrote:

According to the Orbi app I am up to date on firmware. Not sure what to do there. Running 3.2.10.11. 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7