Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Router & Satellites make slight static or fizzing noise

Serranopr
Tutor

Orbi Router & Satellites make slight static or fizzing noise

I've noticed my new Orbi Router and the satellitesl all make a very slight noise that can be heard from the Ethernet ports.  You have to have your ear to the ethernet ports to hear it, and others in the neighborhood have noiticed this also.  It is very faint, but I heard it when I was installing them on brackets and happenned to be very close and had my ear to the ethernet port while standing on a ladder.  You can't hear it from a few feet away, so it's not the sound that is a concern.  My concern is that I would not think this would make any noise at all as a solid state device with no speaker in it.

Can someone explain this?  Do the Orbi units have something failing inside or a fire risk?

Message 1 of 8
Validus
Luminary

Wi-Fi uses radio waves to transmit information between your device and a router via frequencies.

So any Wi-Fi equipment emits radiofrequency electromagnetic fields (EMF). That's why you don't want to place them near your monitor, speakers, or sub-woofer, etc.

Message 2 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Something I would contact NG support about. 

Message 3 of 8
Serranopr
Tutor

Hi Validus--that is not the issue.  The noise is coming from the router, and each satellite--meaning the device itself is actually making it.  There is nothing else mounted near the units.  It is extremely faint, but just enough that I've heard it, and a friend who also installed Orbi's verified his do the same thing.  I'm an electrical engineer, so again, my concern is what inside the Orbi would create audible sound...like an open soda pop can making a very faint fizzing sound?

Message 4 of 8
Serranopr
Tutor

I did...have not heard anything from them, and they appear to have closed the ticket.

Message 5 of 8
Validus
Luminary

Ahh, well my only other idea which might cause that is if there's a DC-to-DC converter inside. What voltage/wattage is your power supply and is your house quite old (or has dirty power)? Does it still occur from a different power plug (or try at a friend / neighbour house)?

Message 6 of 8
Serranopr
Tutor

My house is relatively new, I would not expect the 120VAC utility power to be an issue.  The slight fizzing/static noise was also verified by a neighbor a couple of miles away on his Orbi's that he had installed recently.  At first he said no noise, but then when he put his ear directly to the Ethernet port side of the Orbi he could he the slight fizzing like sound. I would not think even a DC-DC converter inside would make that noise, but I don't know what's inside.

Again, would like to have someone verify they've heard it, and Netgear provide a reason why it occurs.

Message 7 of 8
Validus
Luminary

I don't hear it from mine at all, not even a whisper from the router or satellites, using Orbi RBK853. However, we use 240V here and have grounding. The power adapters for each Orbi device is however 12V and 3.5A. 

I would of expected the power adapter or even the Optical Network Terminal (if connected with fiber) to be making a very slight hum, instead of the Orbi. I have noticed some power bricks doing that before, yet it's harmless and runs fine. A low level of buzzing might be normal.

As for if it's more a fizzing/pops, that could be capacitor about to fail. You would know, because it will suddenly just die if a day or two. Not likely if all the devices are doing it.

Leave it alone, but keep an eye on it. If it's rather new, it might just settle over time. Otherwise, RMA it if it's really loud and annoying.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7