Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Top Talker

mooney21
Aspirant

Orbi Top Talker

There is no more possibilities to check, for each device connected, the bandwidth consumption - in real time -  (as we did in previous Netgear routers / WIFI). For me it's a huge weakness for a system that is dedicated to support dozen of devices (and which cost a lot ...). 

When Netgear plan to re-introduce this feature ? 

What are the possible workarounds to have this feature in the meantime ?

Thanks !

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
mooney21
Aspirant

Precision : I use an AX6000 Orbi, but I think it is the same issue for all Orbi devices. 

Message 2 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Seems that Orbi since AC doesn't support this at all. Something you can post about here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/idb-p/idea-exchange-for-home

Orbi seems to be tuned to the average home user and not more advanced users. The system seems tuned to running as automatic and with out any user configurations settings as possible. 

For the most part Orbi supports having lots of devices connected. It works since the RBS are also picking up bandwidth handling abilities and helping share the load of many connected devices. I've seen others with 50+ devices post having good experiences with Orbi systems. 

If Orbi isn't something tuned for your liking, then you might find a router that does and use the Orbi in AP mode to take advantage of the wifi MESH system. You can connect Orbi to any router. 

Message 3 of 7
kildare
Luminary

However using a router and the Orbi in AP mode couldn't solve the problem of @mooney21 

as he needs to check the bandwidth consumption for each connected device...

@FURRYe38 wrote:

If Orbi isn't something tuned for your liking, then you might find a router that does and use the Orbi in AP mode to take advantage of the wifi MESH system. You can connect Orbi to any router. 

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

That maybe handled by what ever router he gets that can check each device. The Orbi in AP mode is just mostly pass thru traffic to the up stream router. 

Message 5 of 7
kildare
Luminary

Honestly, in my 25-years work as a computer engineer, I've never found a WAN router of the consumer/prosumer/small business class that was able to calculate and show the bandwidth occupation (transfer rate) of the single devices connected to an access point, but only statistics calculated on its ports basis (LAN or WAN), and I've used and configured routers from very many manufacturers (Cisco, Linksys, Asus, Netgear, D-Link, Zyxel, Tp-Link, DrayTek, Huawei, ...).

Nonetheless such a router might exist, but would be very hard to find…

Anyway, what @mooney21 is looking for is probably something like what the Asus ZenWiFi AX provides, as can be seen in the attached image.

Asus-Zen-Wifi-AX-devices-list

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Agreed.

Been working with routers and such for a while now as well. Asus seems to be the best or have more of what the OP is looking for if thats what they need. 

Good Luck. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7