Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Wi-Fi 6 Satellites

sjtNJ
Guide

Orbi Wi-Fi 6 Satellites

I may be putting this in the wrong place. Simple question, how many Orbi Wi-Fi 6 satellites can I add to my Orbi Wi-Fi 6 router (it came with 1, but I need more range).

Am I also able to supplement with other Orbi (not Wi-Fi 6) satellites? Will it work, even though I give up some speed?

I have about 12k square feet across 3 levels. I had 7 Google Wi-Fi units and it worked fine but not taking advantage of our speed.

Thanks for the help!
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 10
ekhalil
Master

Re: Orbi Wi-Fi 6 Satellites

Looking into the telnet parameters, I can see that the software limit for the number of Satellites in the system is 8.
Satellites in the software are numbered sat_0 up to sat_7, so seems that this is the max number of possible connected Satellites in Orbi AX
Message 2 of 10
Chuck_M
Mentor

I have added 2 x RBS-50s to my network that are hard-wired and they work great.  They are fully controlled by the RBS-853 as they were in the past. 

I believe that any additional RBS-50 class satellites must be hard wired as the wireless back haul is not yet compatible.

See the attached screenshot 

Message 3 of 10
sjtNJ
Guide

Awesome. Thank you guys so much for the info. Doesn’t look like the AX satellites are available quite yet, so will hang tight and use them — probably easier because I can’t hardwire some.

Again, very much appreciate the response.
Message 4 of 10
luxiloid
Aspirant

I have a question about syncing RBS50 to RBR850. I guess I have to press the button on each of the RBR850 and the RBS50 to make them work together. Is that through wireless signal at first? Or, can they be done just wired? Do I have to just plug them to the same network and they sync with each other?

I am asking this question since Chunk_M mentioned their back haul is not compatible with each other yet.

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

The RBS50 won't work wireless. Factory reset the RBS50 then connect via wired. They will only work wired to the AX system at the moment. Hopefully NG will get them working wirelessly in a future FW update. 

@luxiloid wrote:

I have a question about syncing RBS50 to RBR850. I guess I have to press the button on each of the RBR850 and the RBS50 to make them work together. Is that through wireless signal at first? Or, can they be done just wired? Do I have to just plug them to the same network and they sync with each other?

I am asking this question since Chunk_M mentioned their back haul is not compatible with each other yet.

Message 6 of 10
luxiloid
Aspirant

Thanks for your quick reply, FURRYe83!

Do they sync with each other automatically once you conncected them wired? Or, is there a manual process of pressing the button on the router and pressing the same button on the sattelite even when they are connected through wired network?

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

The one time I tried with mine it auto synced. Connect the RBS wired and power it on. Give it about 5 minutes. Check the 850s Connected clients list. I should appear there. 

Message 8 of 10
Sevo123
Apprentice

Netgear had a live on the orbi AX unit today on YouTube live and Facebook live... I asked about the satellites. They said in the coming weeks it will be available. Finally!!!

Video link https://youtu.be/xPVGv0IHVao
Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Yep. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 6 in conversation