Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi WiFi 6 (RBR850) Backhaul Status Out of Sync w/ Satellite (RBS850)

Pat-D
Follower

Orbi WiFi 6 (RBR850) Backhaul Status Out of Sync w/ Satellite (RBS850)

I am having trouble keeping the satellite synced with the router. In an effort to resolve the issue, I would reboot the router where they would sync momentarily, then go out of sync. All wireless devices will only connect to the router, and not the satellite, even when standing right next to the satellite.

I have a NAS and a PC that are wired directly to the satellite. These wired devices operate correctly, although I can not see them connected to my router. Since I can't see them on my router, I can not assign an IP address to them.

Can you provide any guidance?

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi WiFi 6 (RBR850) Backhaul Status Out of Sync w/ Satellite (RBS850)

I recommend trying this next time you need to update RBS FW:

https://kb.netgear.com/000037217/How-do-I-check-and-manually-upgrade-the-firmware-on-my-Orbi-satelli...

@bbninja wrote:

I had to update the firmware on my satellites to fix this issue, but that wasn't as easy as it may seem.  My satellites weren't reporting their firmware version on the Firmware Update page and they were not indicating that an update was available.  I had to unplug each satellite (I did one at a time), then plug it back in, let it boot up, then revisit the Firmware Update page in the router utility, and check for updates.  At this point, the satellite showed I was still on a version 3 software.  It also indicated that an update was available.  I updated one at a time.  Each worked.  Since those updates, each satellites backhaul status has been Good. 

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

What Firmware version is loaded on the RBS? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?

Message 2 of 9
RafS
Apprentice

Same issue with my satellite. Didn't even notice since there are no lights on. The only way I found out was going into the Orbi app and finding that nothing is connected to the satellite. The placement of the satellite hasn't changed for over a year since I got the system. The modem is a Netgear CM2000 and the status of the backhaul just says OUT OF SYNC. 

Message 3 of 9
Rudolphy
Apprentice

Please don't laugh, I used to have this problem when my satellites were too close to the router. Now they are about 10 meters direct line and two walls apart, the problem no longer occurs. I use (unfortunately) the latest firmware and my router in AP mode.

Message 4 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this?

@Pat-D wrote:

I am having trouble keeping the satellite synced with the router. In an effort to resolve the issue, I would reboot the router where they would sync momentarily, then go out of sync. All wireless devices will only connect to the router, and not the satellite, even when standing right next to the satellite.

I have a NAS and a PC that are wired directly to the satellite. These wired devices operate correctly, although I can not see them connected to my router. Since I can't see them on my router, I can not assign an IP address to them.

Can you provide any guidance?

Message 5 of 9
quethrosar
Star

2 years and no changes and now first time out of sync for me. what you all break in the firmware?

Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 7 of 9
bbninja
Aspirant

I had to update the firmware on my satellites to fix this issue, but that wasn't as easy as it may seem.  My satellites weren't reporting their firmware version on the Firmware Update page and they were not indicating that an update was available.  I had to unplug each satellite (I did one at a time), then plug it back in, let it boot up, then revisit the Firmware Update page in the router utility, and check for updates.  At this point, the satellite showed I was still on a version 3 software.  It also indicated that an update was available.  I updated one at a time.  Each worked.  Since those updates, each satellites backhaul status has been Good. 

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend trying this next time you need to update RBS FW:

https://kb.netgear.com/000037217/How-do-I-check-and-manually-upgrade-the-firmware-on-my-Orbi-satelli...

@bbninja wrote:

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7