Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi WiFi 6 Slow WiFi/Inconsistent Speed

Mikey94025
Hero

@SkySys wrote:

I agree, I have been obsesses with trying to get 600 to 700+ on these newer devices, looks like it won't work.

Unfortunately with the advertised high speeds of the new Orbi AX systems too often people here complain about "why do I only get XXX wireless speed".  We really need a FAQ post or something to just give the same answers, for example:

1. Make sure you're using bridge mode and not Double NAT
  2. Test wired speeds vs. wireless speeds to determine if its a wireless issue or upstream bandwidth issue
  3. Use the speedtest.net app and not the Orbi built-in speed test
  4. Test using an AX device like iPhone 11 Pro
  5. Wireless speeds can never match wired speeds
  6. etc.

I have learned not to obsess with getting the highest wifi speeds via the Orbi.  It's too variable, depending on how my iPhone 11 Pro has decided to connect (AX or not) and other wifi factors. 

Message 51 of 61
SkySys
Guide

I understand your point, but the marketing is sending lot of wrong messages, where it shoud be a "Plug and Play" solution. It makes me think if I should have gone with the Eero solution to get beter results.

Message 52 of 61
Dd852
Luminary

What I honestly don't get is how much of the issue is down to Orbi and how much to Apple. Ultimately the devices themselves decide which band to connect to and when to switch. So basically we have the intelligence of the Orbi mesh meeting the intelligence of the iphone and they clearly don't always make a smooth handoff. 

Message 53 of 61
Mjacobs732
Tutor

I have been having similar problems.  On installation, speeds were good.  Now:

Ethernet to modem (Xfinity, rated at 300 mbps): 350 mbps

Ethernet to router                                              :   60 mbps

WiFi router to iPhone 11 (3 ft away)                  :   14 mbps (fluctuates)

I rebooted and it was fast briefly and then degraded. 

I have talked with three people at NG tech support; each said he/she was not qualified on this issue.  I have now been on, mostly on hold, for 100 minutes.  Fortunately, I bought this at Costco, which is good about returns. 

But seriously folks: it is 2020.  Can't we get WiFi to work reliably?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 54 of 61
Akahogan
Tutor

Keep track of your return time period. The Netgear Support took so long to do initial investigation that I went past the 30 day window for returning.  I even offered to buy a newer system that was more powerful if they felt it would help, no response.   Towards the end they wanted me to provide every model and type of device connected to troubleshoot. I told them that if this is a consumer product, then make it so a consumer can use it. Install software to do better diagnostics and automatically suggest changes based on the performance it tracks. All of the information is going through the router, they could do it and maintain privacy and security concerns.

Best of luck to you, looks like Netgear may have lost another customer for poor performance and experience.  Maybe it won't matter because enough people like their products, but maybe the message will get through the more people complain.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 55 of 61
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

@Mjacobs732 wrote:

I have been having similar problems.  On installation, speeds were good.  Now:

Ethernet to modem (Xfinity, rated at 300 mbps): 350 mbps

Ethernet to router                                              :   60 mbps

WiFi router to iPhone 11 (3 ft away)                  :   14 mbps (fluctuates)

I rebooted and it was fast briefly and then degraded. 

I have talked with three people at NG tech support; each said he/she was not qualified on this issue.  I have now been on, mostly on hold, for 100 minutes.  Fortunately, I bought this at Costco, which is good about returns. 

But seriously folks: it is 2020.  Can't we get WiFi to work reliably?

Message 56 of 61
Mjacobs732
Tutor

I think I found the culprit. I have a microcell attached to one of the Ethernet ports in the router. Since disconnecting it this morning, the system has been stable and fast. 

Message 57 of 61
FURRYe38
Guru

Really...What is the mfr and model # of this microcell? I have a ATT microcell connected with mine. 

Message 58 of 61
Mikey94025
Hero

@Mjacobs732 wrote:

I think I found the culprit. I have a microcell attached to one of the Ethernet ports in the router. Since disconnecting it this morning, the system has been stable and fast. 

That is surprising... What can cause a connected device like this to degrade other Orbi device speeds?

Message 59 of 61
Mjacobs732
Tutor

Yes, I know. It is a Cisco microcell. With WiFi calling, it is no longer needed. Five hours later, all is well with the ORBI.
Message 60 of 61
FURRYe38
Guru

Is it WHITE and Orange under casse? Mine is Cisco but has the ATT emblem on the side and is white and orange. I keep mine online for back up. Also notice that I can't send text messages via wifi network and we have low cell signal here so I keep mine online. It sits behind a switch though. 

Message 61 of 61
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 60 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7