Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Wifi 6 AP vs Router mode performance

cboudard
Aspirant

Orbi Wifi 6 AP vs Router mode performance

Hello,

I have an Orbi AX on the ARRIS BGW210-700 gateway for my AT&T 1GB connection. I could use the Orbi in AP mode with my Arris gateway as router or I could use the Orbi in router mode and my Arris gateway in passthrough mode. I understand that it will dictacte my choice of router function and interface but my main priority is the fastest wifi I could get. So, does anyone have any experience comparing wifi performance for those 2 approaches? Should I use my Orbi in AP mode or in Router mode to have the best wifi performance?

Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi Wifi 6 AP vs Router mode performance

I haven't seen to much diffences in performance between AP or router mode. Though I don't have a ATT modem/router combo unit. Seen many posts with ATT modems having problems with external routers, MESH and Non MESH systems. Your best best would be to set up router mode first with IP pass thru and test. Then try AP mode and test again. See for your self. 

Various environments will also be a factor along with placement of the RBR and RBSs. With everyones different envrionment, each system may exhibit different results. So is best to test this out for your self. 

Aso Wifi Neighbors near by can be a factor as well. 

30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Message 2 of 11
cboudard
Aspirant

Thanks! A have actually kept for now my AT&T Arris gateway in router mode and the Orbi AX in AP mode. The setup took me 15 minutes with zero glitch and it work great.  Apparently, a lot of people are in trouble while trying to move the Arris in Passthrough mode and use a different router instead. I still want to try it though as I like to Orbi UI much better than the Arris one. I will try to change the setup this weekend and report my findings if this could help anyone. 

Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

I would do a back up configuration to file on the RBR before going to router mode. Helps save time if you want to revert back or a reset is needed.

Let us know how it goes. 

Message 4 of 11
Zendog68
Initiate

I have the same setup as you Att fiber(1000) Arris BG210-700 with an Orbi RBK852Arris is set to passthrough. (speedtest 994 down 984 up) A computer connected with erhernett to RBR50(router mode) gets similar speeds, Satelllite is downstairs on other side of house(approx 1900-2000 Sqft per floor), Computer connected with ethernet to RBS50 gets 359 down 35 up. I have not tried with RBR50 in AP mode. I'm mot sure if second RBS50 directly above the downstairs RBS50 will improve the speeds. Unfortunately the home was not wired with a second Ethernet run and AT&T Fiber with cable hookup prohibits the use of data and video on same wiring run(per install tech.)

Message 5 of 11
cboudard
Aspirant

Thanks for your input. My topology is very similar. I moved my configuration to Arris in Passthrough and Orbi in Router mode this morning. I was surprized to see tha the Orbi is using 10.0.0.* as IP set for my local network instead of the usual 192.168.1.*. This makes me be afraid to have a double NAT and that somehow my Arris was not really in Passthrough mode. However, on the Advanced Home tab of the Orbi UI, I can see a "real" WAN address as IP address in the Internet Port section, so it looks like the AT&T IP WAN address had been correctly passed to my Orbi WAN interface. Do you experience the same? 

I also thought that it might be because I kept 192.168.1.254 as IP address for the Arris and that somehow could created a conflict to be on the same subnet so the Orbi had to use a 10.0.0.* subnet. So I moved the Arris IP to 192.168.100.1 et a DHCP set of 192.168.1.254 but that didn't change anythins and the Orbi still default his IP range for local network on the 10.0.0.*. 

Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

@Zendog68 wrote:

I have the same setup as you Att fiber(1000) Arris BG210-700 with an Orbi RBK852Arris is set to passthrough. (speedtest 994 down 984 up) A computer connected with erhernett to RBR50(router mode) gets similar speeds, Satelllite is downstairs on other side of house(approx 1900-2000 Sqft per floor), Computer connected with ethernet to RBS50 gets 359 down 35 up. I have not tried with RBR50 in AP mode. I'm mot sure if second RBS50 directly above the downstairs RBS50 will improve the speeds. Unfortunately the home was not wired with a second Ethernet run and AT&T Fiber with cable hookup prohibits the use of data and video on same wiring run(per install tech.)

Message 7 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

After you changed and applied the 192.168.100.1 address to the modem, did you go back and manually change the RBR850 to 192.168.1.1 IP address, set the pool size, from and to, save and apply the change and reboot the RBR? 

@cboudard wrote:

Thanks for your input. My topology is very similar. I moved my configuration to Arris in Passthrough and Orbi in Router mode this morning. I was surprized to see tha the Orbi is using 10.0.0.* as IP set for my local network instead of the usual 192.168.1.*. This makes me be afraid to have a double NAT and that somehow my Arris was not really in Passthrough mode. However, on the Advanced Home tab of the Orbi UI, I can see a "real" WAN address as IP address in the Internet Port section, so it looks like the AT&T IP WAN address had been correctly passed to my Orbi WAN interface. Do you experience the same? 

I also thought that it might be because I kept 192.168.1.254 as IP address for the Arris and that somehow could created a conflict to be on the same subnet so the Orbi had to use a 10.0.0.* subnet. So I moved the Arris IP to 192.168.100.1 et a DHCP set of 192.168.1.254 but that didn't change anythins and the Orbi still default his IP range for local network on the 10.0.0.*. 

Message 8 of 11
cboudard
Aspirant

Yes, I did and it works fine as far as I can see. I was just a bit concerned that I did something wrong when seeing the Orbi going by default to the 10.0.0.* net mask.

Message 9 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Thats automatic and by design when the setup wizard detects the up stream modem or router is using the same 192.168.1.1 IP address string. Orbi avoids this by changing to 10.something. Once you changed the modem to something different, then Orbi can use .1.1. again. 

Message 10 of 11
ZOOShen
Star

If you don’t use Satellite via Ethernet backhaul, Keep Orbi in AP mode until NG fixes current firmware.
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7