Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Wifi 6E (AXE) landed

UnCapitano
Apprentice

Orbi Wifi 6E (AXE) landed

Just received my Orbi AXE 960 and typical Netgear, their app couldn't get the Orbi connected to my network correctly. I ended up configuring it manually using the webclient.  Love the black color and hopefully I'll have even stronger signal than before.  Love them trying to sell me Armor, which I bypass using a Firewalla.  My connection is rock solid, but I can't seem to get it set up into the mobile app. It keeps trying to connect to my old 853 setup.  It won't let me remove the old one, and will not let me add the new one by just finding the now configured SSD.  The web interface wanted me to install the Nighthawk app.   One day they will get it right.  Good hardware, horrible software.

Message 1 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

And you have the 8 series turned OFF right? 

The orbi app should connect to the 9 series if you have it set up well. Orbi app now has both local and cloud access. It maybe still accessing the 8 series cloud which it should not. Try a new setup on the Orbi app will connected to the RBRE unit. 

Might try removing the Orbi app from the mobile device, reboot the device, then re-install it. 

What FW version is currently installed? 

Message 2 of 16
UnCapitano
Apprentice

Yes, 8 series is removed and turned off. I’ve tried all of those steps, but the app doesn’t have an option to delete that setup. When asking for the new setup, it defaults to an out of the box setup process and doesn’t recognize that I’ve already configured it manually.

Just bad software.
Message 3 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

Well if you have the 8 series off and run thru the new setup and set 0 RBS it should connect to the 9 series. I also noticed that the app preferred the 8 series when I had it online. But after I turned it OFF, it sees my 9 series fine...

Can you set up Orbi app on a different mobile device? 

Message 4 of 16
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @UnCapitano

Thanks for sharing your feedback. I'll have the information forwarded to our product teams. 

May I request for the following information:

- Is this on an Orbi Android app or iOS app? 

- Orbi app version

- Router Firmware version

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 5 of 16
UnCapitano
Apprentice

Hey Bianca,

Here goes...

I have the Orbi iOS app. version 2.12.5.56

Router Firrmware version is V6.0.3.68_3.1.9

Note:  I am using my Orbi as an AP in conjuction with a Firewalla Gold that is set up as the router.  I don't know if that would make a difference, but I wanted to make sure I let you know it is not in router mode.

Thanks for your support.

Message 6 of 16
Mikey94025
Hero

@UnCapitano wrote:

Just received my Orbi AXE 960

Curious - Where did you order your AXE from?  You're one of the first end-customers to receive it.

I can't help it and I preordered the AXE from netgear.com, despite my RBR850 challenges and others reported here.  I like, and am willing, to gamble on new technology.

Message 7 of 16
farmrt88
Star

After receiving the RBKE963B on Monday, I was able to setup the Router and a single satelite yesterday.  Here are a few observations:

The new black edition looks great and blends in well with other office/home theatre equipment, but it is a fingerprint magnet with some cosmetic imperfections at the bottom front side where curved plastic comes together.

Setup of the new Orbi in the IOS app step by step was relatively painless, although it took some time for the RBS satelite to register and connect.  The existing RBR850 was turned off before install and the new RBKE963 was never lost in the IOS app.  The firmware update prompted after everything was intiated and was a quick install.  Default out of the box Orbi Armor scanning for every device slowed the process somewhat, but this can be turned off or back on during the 30 day trial period.  The RBSE960 Satelite is incorrectly showing in both model name and color in the IOS Orbi App.  WIll try the Android Orbi App next.

All devices re-connected using the same SSID and Security settings, except for a 2012 2.4ghz HP Wifi Printer.  This must be from the required WPA2/WPA3 now on the main SSID.  Fortunately the new RBKE963 IOT network enabled for 2.4 ghz with WPA2 only allowed the HP Wifi printer to connect.  Printing on the IOT connected HP Printer from an IOS device connected to the main SSD is seamless. All other Smart devices are still connected to the main SSID.

Early wifi strength and speed tests for the RBKE963 are showing improvement over the RBR850, both with a single RBS satelite in the same location.  This was mentioned as a benefit to the revised design.  The previous RBR850 required a 2nd RBS Satelite for far reaching 2.4GHZ Smart Cameras, but the cameras are connecting better with less latency to the RBK963B and a single RBS Satelite. 

The previous RBS850 satelite only had 2133Mbps as the 5ghz connection status, but the new RBSE960 Satelite has full 2400Mbps in the status page.  An EAX80 Extender connected seamlessly to the RBSE960 Satelite for Media Bridge purposes and has better download speeds vs being connected to the previous RBS850 Satelite in the same location.  The IOS Speed test app is reporting full internet provider speeds as expected.

No other issues so far and VPN/Zoom calls are working as expected.  Will soon be testing Double NAT see if port forwarding is required on game consoles and test large file downloading.  Will not be able to test the 6E 6ghz network until I install an Intel AX210 wifi card and figure out how to deal with Windows 10 drivers or upgrade to Windows 11.

CTS and Preamble values are not set as recommended by Default and hand off between RBR and RBS seems to be slow when moving around with IOS Devices. Will have to review this.

My experience with the original Orbi RBK850 Wifi 6 was positive after owning it for 2 years right after it came out replacing the RBK50.  Both are now with or are going to family/friends as upgrades.

The new Orbi RBKE963 Wifi 6E has been an overall good experience so far....

Message 8 of 16
UnCapitano
Apprentice

I ordered mine on NETGEAR.com the first day it was available.
Message 9 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW version came loaded on your system? 

What CTS values are you using currently on the 9 series RBR? I'm using default 64 on mine. 

Ya I found that my R7800 router in wifi bridge mode would not connect to the 9 series with mixed mode WPA2/3 enabled. Otherwise mixed mode is working over all for rest of my devices. 

@farmrt88 wrote:

After receiving the RBKE963B on Monday, I was able to setup the Router and a single satelite yesterday.  Here are a few observations:

The new black edition looks great and blends in well with other office/home theatre equipment, but it is a fingerprint magnet with some cosmetic imperfections at the bottom front side where curved plastic comes together.

Setup of the new Orbi in the IOS app step by step was relatively painless, although it took some time for the RBS satelite to register and connect.  The existing RBR850 was turned off before install and the new RBKE963 was never lost in the IOS app.  The firmware update prompted after everything was intiated and was a quick install.  Default out of the box Orbi Armor scanning for every device slowed the process somewhat, but this can be turned off or back on during the 30 day trial period.  The RBSE960 Satelite is incorrectly showing in both model name and color in the IOS Orbi App.  WIll try the Android Orbi App next.

All devices re-connected using the same SSID and Security settings, except for a 2012 2.4ghz HP Wifi Printer.  This must be from the required WPA2/WPA3 now on the main SSID.  Fortunately the new RBKE963 IOT network enabled for 2.4 ghz with WPA2 only allowed the HP Wifi printer to connect.  Printing on the IOT connected HP Printer from an IOS device connected to the main SSD is seamless. All other Smart devices are still connected to the main SSID.

Early wifi strength and speed tests for the RBKE963 are showing improvement over the RBR850, both with a single RBS satelite in the same location.  This was mentioned as a benefit to the revised design.  The previous RBR850 required a 2nd RBS Satelite for far reaching 2.4GHZ Smart Cameras, but the cameras are connecting better with less latency to the RBK963B and a single RBS Satelite. 

The previous RBS850 satelite only had 2133Mbps as the 5ghz connection status, but the new RBSE960 Satelite has full 2400Mbps in the status page.  An EAX80 Extender connected seamlessly to the RBSE960 Satelite for Media Bridge purposes and has better download speeds vs being connected to the previous RBS850 Satelite in the same location.  The IOS Speed test app is reporting full internet provider speeds as expected.

No other issues so far and VPN/Zoom calls are working as expected.  Will soon be testing Double NAT see if port forwarding is required on game consoles and test large file downloading.  Will not be able to test the 6E 6ghz network until I install an Intel AX210 wifi card and figure out how to deal with Windows 10 drivers or upgrade to Windows 11.

CTS and Preamble values are not set as recommended by Default and hand off between RBR and RBS seems to be slow when moving around with IOS Devices. Will have to review this.

My experience with the original Orbi RBK850 Wifi 6 was positive after owning it for 2 years right after it came out replacing the RBK50.  Both are now with or are going to family/friends as upgrades.

The new Orbi RBKE963 Wifi 6E has been an overall good experience so far....

Message 10 of 16
farmrt88
Star

I didn’t get a chance to check the firmware version before the IOS app updated everything to 6.0.3.68. Is there a way to check in router logs for the original version?

I’m also using the default 64 CTS value for now…
Message 11 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. 

No previous information in logs. 

Ok, what I've been using. Working well. 

I found one issue with v68, if RBS are ethernet connected to the RBR, if a reboot or power cycle happens on the RBS, they will loose internet access. Already let NG now about this. Other than this, been liking this Orbi system. 

Message 12 of 16
Mikey94025
Hero

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What CTS values are you using currently on the 9 series RBR? I'm using default 64 on mine. 

I noticed in the AXE user manual that it says the default CTS/RTS threshold is 2347.  Page 80:

Orbi.png

Message 13 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

PDF info is problably template from older PDFs. Needs to be updated.Smiley Embarassed

@Blanca_O @ChristineT 

Message 14 of 16
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi, All, 

Orbi WiFi 6E (RBKE96x) default CTS/RTS threshold is 64 same as the Orbi WiFi AX series (RBR75x/RBR85x). 

We have notified the product team and they'll update the User Manual with the correct value. 

Thanks @Mikey94025 and @FURRYe38 for bringing this to our attention.

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 15 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies