Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi and AT&T 5g Microcell

SeanZann
Aspirant

Orbi and AT&T 5g Microcell

I have the Orbi (but the model says SXK30 - not sure exactly which one I was supposed to pick from the dropdown).  And AT&T MicroCell they have sent us to replace our old 3g one.  They are saying I need to set up for the following, but I cannot find where many of these settings are, especially the IPSec and NTP ports.  Do these settings even make sense?  I do not have the internal VPN nor a firewall turned on.   DHCP is on

From ATT https://www.att.com/device-support/article/wireless/KM1463841/ATT/ATTSS2FII/
Confirm the following router/switch settings prior to activating your AT&T Cell Booster:

1. DHCP is ON.

Note: For installations where static assignment of an IP address is desired the use of MAC Binding and static DHCP Reservation is suggested. Static IP is not supported.

2. MTU size is set to 1500 or higher.

3. MAC address filtering is either turned off or allows the MAC address of the Cell Booster.

4. IPSec Pass-Through is Enabled.

5. Block Fragmented Packets is Disabled.

UDP Ports

The UDP ports 500 and 4500 are used to establish the IPSec tunnel. The NTP port is required to be open as the NTP sync messages are sent on the public internet for frequency synchronization. All traffic except NTP will go through the IPSEC tunnel and hence only these ports should be unblocked for the AT&T Cell Booster to provide service.

Note: If you have a firewall enabled, the below UDP Ports need to be open to prevent the firewall from blocking communication with the network. Please contact your Internet Service Provider for assistance.

• UDP/ 500 IPSec Port
• UDP / 4500 IPSec Port
• UDP/ 123 NTP Port (Timing Synch)

Model: SRK60B03|Orbi Pro Tri-Band Business WiFi System
Message 1 of 11
plemans
Guru

If you run through setup on the microcell, does it work?

where is it failing if not? 

Message 2 of 11
SeanZann
Aspirant

It apperas to work, there is an app that comes with, it can see the microcell, and it says it is activated. And it will work occasionally, but more often than not, our phones either say no-signal, emergency calls only, or it says there is a signal, but calls and texts can't be made.  I've been on with ATT about this for a couple of days, and they sent me the page above and said it was a router issue.  If  my Orbi is set up out-of-the-box, would I need to change anything to get their settings to work?

Message 3 of 11
plemans
Guru

try putting the microcells ip address into the netgears DMZ. 

https://kb.netgear.com/1118/How-do-I-configure-a-device-to-be-in-the-DMZ-on-my-NETGEAR-router

Message 4 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

IPSec or Port Forwarding may not be needed. I have same new 5G MCell and just connected it up to my router and have not set any configurations or used the DMZ. All is working. I noticed that the phones seem to show LTE when they are connected to it. If there not connected to it or you shut off the MCell, they go to 5G. I asked AT&T about this and theres no good documentation out yet about what users should see on there phones when they are connected. Smiley Frustrated

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

@SeanZann wrote:

I have the Orbi (but the model says SXK30 - not sure exactly which one I was supposed to pick from the dropdown).  And AT&T MicroCell they have sent us to replace our old 3g one.  They are saying I need to set up for the following, but I cannot find where many of these settings are, especially the IPSec and NTP ports.  Do these settings even make sense?  I do not have the internal VPN nor a firewall turned on.   DHCP is on

From ATT https://www.att.com/device-support/article/wireless/KM1463841/ATT/ATTSS2FII/
Confirm the following router/switch settings prior to activating your AT&T Cell Booster:

1. DHCP is ON.

Note: For installations where static assignment of an IP address is desired the use of MAC Binding and static DHCP Reservation is suggested. Static IP is not supported.

2. MTU size is set to 1500 or higher.

3. MAC address filtering is either turned off or allows the MAC address of the Cell Booster.

4. IPSec Pass-Through is Enabled.

5. Block Fragmented Packets is Disabled.

UDP Ports

The UDP ports 500 and 4500 are used to establish the IPSec tunnel. The NTP port is required to be open as the NTP sync messages are sent on the public internet for frequency synchronization. All traffic except NTP will go through the IPSEC tunnel and hence only these ports should be unblocked for the AT&T Cell Booster to provide service.

Note: If you have a firewall enabled, the below UDP Ports need to be open to prevent the firewall from blocking communication with the network. Please contact your Internet Service Provider for assistance.

• UDP/ 500 IPSec Port
• UDP / 4500 IPSec Port
• UDP/ 123 NTP Port (Timing Synch)

Message 5 of 11
SeanZann
Aspirant

I"ve added the DMZ with the IP address of the microcell,but still no joy. That last ATT guy told me to bring it into an ATT store and have it replaced, so it may be I just have a bad one.

Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the Orbi router is connected too?

Message 7 of 11
SeanZann
Aspirant

That's what I was thinking - their instructions are for opening up a firewall or other kind of more deeply secured network.  I'm on a Charter/Spectrum Arris Model TM1602A

I never see the 4g LTE on our phones, but I do see a difference in bars when it's supposedly connected.  It just only seems to go through about 10% of the time.

Thanks for the assitance so for, to everyone!

Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

OK, kewl. Just making sure you didn't have any double NAT condition. Hopefully a replacement MCell will work. You shouldn't need any configuration on the Orbi. Used to be that DMZ was needed with the older MCell years ago. 

Message 9 of 11
SeanZann
Aspirant

Thanks a lot!  This will help me tell that I have confirmed my router settings are not a problem.  I appreciate it! and I'll let everyone know when I get a replacement if it works.

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds good. FYI. Give the new MCell several minutes to come to ready. All Front LEDs should turn on solid WHITE. The back ethernet Internet port will always blink green regarless of activity. Make sure you have a good LAN cable too. CAT6 is recommended.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7