Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi ax6000 wired?

Sviel
Follower

Orbi ax6000 wired?

Hi, is it better to hardwire the Router with the satellite?

Thanks
Message 1 of 10

@Sviel wrote:

Probably, that's usually recommended, but it all depends on the circumstances, which are a mystery to us given the limited details you provide.

You might get more help in the appropriate section for your device. That's probably here:

Orbi - NETGEAR Communities

Message 2 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Most configurations depend on wireless envrionment, building materials, cable configuration, placement and distance. Wired will always have better performance and stability. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

Be sure to visit the Orbi AX forum for any Orbi AX help and information. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Good Luck. 

Message 3 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

@Sviel wrote:

Thanks

@michaelkenwardcould have been more 'direct'.  "AX6000" is a description that Netgear uses with a number of different routers in the Nighthawk and Orbi product lines.  The actual model number printed on the product label indicates exactly which WiFi router. This will lead to the proper Netgear forum where people who have that model can comment on if they were able to connect using ethernet.

In general: Yes, it is better to connect satellites to the main router with a high-quality etherne cable capable of gigabit speeds.  Because this is simply impractical for the majority of customers, vendors have created these "Tri-band" WiFi systems which use a separate 5G channel for the communication between satellites and router.  Want to move it?  Just pick it up.  If it were physically wired, relocation could be a major chore.  Gigabit ethernet is a "full duplex" communication.  There is no WiFi overhead (beacon frames, etc.) and WiFi channels are worse than "half duplex".  If two satellites are connected to the router, only one device can broadcast at a time. The others must "back off" and wait for the channel to free up. Performance falls off with distance and obstacles, so that magic "AX6000" might be achieved when the satellite is sitting next to the router, but never in "real world" conditions.  (The older "Dual band" WiFi systems use the same 5G channel for satellite/router connection as they use for user devices.  So, user devices must pause every time the satellite communicates with the route and the satellites must pause every time a user device broadcasts.) Tri-band offers greater throughput then Dual-band, and gig ethernet offers even more.

Message 4 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

"Orbi ax6000 wired?"  Refers to the Orbi RBK 8 series. 

Message 5 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

@FURRYe38 wrote:

True, but it also refers to:

EAX80 Nighthawk

RAX120v2 Nighthawk

SXK80 Orbi Pro

Message 6 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Agreed however I'll presume he's referenceing the RBK 8 series system since he referenced Orbi and AX6000...Smiley Wink

FYI, I'm going to try out the EAX80. Will see how it does. Smiley Very Happy

Message 7 of 10

@CrimpOn wrote:

@Sviel wrote:

Thanks

@michaelkenwardcould have been more 'direct'.  "AX6000" is a description that Netgear uses with a number of different routers in the Nighthawk and Orbi product lines. 

A quick check came up with only one "Orbi ax6000 ". The  RBK852. So I decided to make allowances for the lack of information provided. There wasn't much room for confusion with the RAX and CAX alternatives.

Message 8 of 10

@CrimpOn wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

True, but it also refers to:

EAX80 Nighthawk

RAX120v2 Nighthawk

Neither of those is Orbi.

See my point?

Not much room for confusion.

I did check.

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@Sviel wrote:

Thanks

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7