Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi claiming disconnected but Wi-Fi working fine

TBD12345
Tutor

Orbi claiming disconnected but Wi-Fi working fine

Hi everyone,
I have a Orbi RBR750 with 2 satellites. The orbis are set up as access points while the Orbi router is connected to my Verizon Fios gateway router. The app claims that the Orbi router is disconnected from the internet but my satellites have connection, and my Wi-Fi is technically working fine. I believe I’m on the latest firmware 4.6.5.14. I have restarted the Orbi router as well as the Verizon Fios router multiple times but no change.

Has anyone else experienced this ?
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

verizon tends to use gateways that are modem/router combo devices and it causes a double nat. 

A double nat happens when you cascade more than 1 router.
https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Fixes? There’s 3 options but only use 1.
1. Put the modem/gateway in modem only/pass through mode. This disables its routing functions.
2. Leave the modem/gateway in router mode but put the Netgears IP address into its DMZ. This forwards the data to the netgear. You can either leave the modem/gateway’s wireless enabled or disabled. Just make sure its using a different wifi channel to prevent interference
3. Put the Netgear into access point mode. This disables its routing functions. Wifi/ethernet still works but it does disable some features.
https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-NETGEAR-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-M...

Message 2 of 6
TBD12345
Tutor

Hi plemans, thanks for responding
You are correct i actually cannot get rid of the gateway router in general because of the Fios cable (not my choice, but my burden). I currently have the Verizon router doing the routing but turned off the wireless and have the orbis in access mode. I’ve had this set up for over a year now and for some reason I just noticed in the app that I cannot even connect because it says my orbi router cannot connect. I might end up doing a factory reset and re doing the set up
Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

Message 4 of 6
TBD12345
Tutor

Thanks!
I was able to solve the issue, I basically just factory reset the Orbi and reconfigured my router as was and started from the beginning by turning off Wi-Fi on the gateway router and re-installing the orbis as access points.. seems to be working fine for now
Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

Glad you got it working!

You might mark it solved so others aren't still trying to fix your issue 🙂

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation