Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi rbk852 extremely slow network after some time

brandobot
Guide

Orbi rbk852 extremely slow network after some time

In the furthest room in my house (about 80 ft from the rbr850), wifi signal shows as full bars on my iPhone and Apple Tv that I stream on.

Speedtests show around 150 mbps. After half an hour to an hour, wifi still connected with full signal strength, network seemingly crawls to 800kb. After a few minutes, things go back to normal. This has been consistent for weeks.

If I’m closer to the router or satellite, I have no issues.

I swapped my Netgear Nighthawk Rax120 to the same location as my rbr850 and no issues. Any idea what may be causing this?
Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
I

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

How are the RBS placed from the RBR? Devices should be connected to the RBS and not the RBR.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
https://kb.netgear.com/19668/Link-Rate-and-Transfer-Speed

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

You can find other speed diagnosis steps in the community faq: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Community-FAQ-My-Orbi-speeds-are-slow-inconsistent-and-don-...

Message 2 of 11
brandobot
Guide

V3.2.16.22
Size of home - 1100 sq ft, single story
Rbr and rbs is at least 40 ft away
Due to my fiber cable location, the router is placed on one end in the house.

How do I make devices connect to only the rbs and not the rbr? About 2/3 of my devices are connected to the rbr.

I’ve disabled 20/40mhz coexistance already.

Will try short preamble next. (Currently on automatic)

I’ve tried auto, and cycled through the different channels manually. Our houses are very spread apart, so shouldn’t have much wifi interference from neighbors.
Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Try turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 4 of 11
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Try turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

what about the house size?

Message 5 of 11
brandobot
Guide

House is 1100 sq ft.

Why should devices be connected to the satellite and not the router? Isn’t the router’s purpose also to broadcast a wireless connection for devices to connect to?
Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Due to the size of your home, the RBR alone can wirelessly cover this area for this size of home. 

Message 7 of 11
brandobot
Guide

That’s what I thought too.. fwiw, I have full signal according to my iPhone, Apple TV and Macbook Pro, however, speeds randomly come to a crawl that lasts for a few minutes.

I’ll get 150 mbps for hours, then I notice my network drops to around 500 kbps, after a few minutes, back up to 100+ mbps.
Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

So what happens if you use only the RBR with the RBS turned off? 

You can try and update FW as well:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/New-RBR850-RBS850-Series-Firmware-Version-v3-2-17-12-Releas...

Message 9 of 11
BoilerPlate
Apprentice

Vajim's lack of knowledge and experience, your mileage may vary. >vajim. I would avoid anything he posts. User beware. Smiley Sad

Sad that he has to spread false and inaccurate information and badger and troll others that are just providing help to others. Must have a sad life. 
Smiley Sad

Message 10 of 11
vajim
Master

@BoilerPlate wrote:

Vajim's lack of knowledge and experience, your mileage may vary. >vajim. I would avoid anything he posts. User beware. Smiley Sad

Sad that he has to spread false and inaccurate information and badger and troll others that are just providing help to others. Must have a sad life. 
Smiley Sad

@Blanca 

Please stop this personal attacks.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7