Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi rbr850 goes offline daily sometimes twice per day

villot418
Aspirant

Orbi rbr850 goes offline daily sometimes twice per day

I have an Orbi RBR850 with 2 satelites.  This setup ran pecfectly since mid 2020 until October of 2021.  The Orbi goes offline daily, I get no wifi or wired connections.  I can access the orbi from my phone app (shows offline) and reboot or plug the orbi out and back in.  Usually there is a solid magenta light on the front of the Orbi. After the reboot I am usually good for 24 hours.  I did a factory reset before, that didnt help. Firmware v4.6.3.16.  Spectrum came out and found no issues going to the modem, they even replaced the cable going to the house. I don't reboot the modem to get reconnected only the Orbi.

setup:

ISP Spectrum --- personal modem (Netgear CM1100) ---- RBR850 --- 2 satelites 

Any help will be appreciated.  

Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi rbr850 goes offline daily sometimes twice per day

Does the front LED turn ON on the RBR when this happens?

Power OFF the RBR and ISP modem fo 1 minute or more then back ON.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last update?

Message 2 of 9
villot418
Aspirant

Does the front LED turn ON on the RBR when this happens?

Yes the led light turns to solid magenta 

I don't power off the modem, I only power off the Orbi

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last update?

Yes I performed a factory reset, that did not help 

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

If the front LED turns on PINK, means it lost it's connection with the ISP modem:

https://kb.netgear.com/31030/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Orbi-mean

I would have the ISP check for anything seen on there logs around the time frame when this happens.

Message 4 of 9
coreyb
Initiate

Don’t bother with all these suggestions as none of them will fix it. The dropout problem is known to Netgear. The firmware update that they forced to the router/satellites in October is the culprit. This causes satellites to disconnect devices forcing them to attempt to connect to the main router (which is often further away). The drop from 5ghz to 2.4ghz and the attempt that devices have connecting to a router further away causes the problems. Even wired satellites are impacted by this problem. They also removed the option to deselect “automatic firmware update” back in August-ish and so we are kind of stuck with it until they release a new firmware update to fix the issue. So far there is no news on when they will update from the current 4.6.3.16. Sucks big time but netgear won’t publicly acknowledge their mistake so I guess we just have to wait. There are other problems with that update which caused some devices to disconnect and reconnect to a satellite that is further away which also degrades the performance. It is annoying because for 10 months of this year, the whole system ran like clockwork - brilliantly. Call netgear and force them to address this issue sooner rather than later.
Message 5 of 9
villot418
Aspirant

Thanks for your response. I agree this setup was great until October. This is my last Netgear product. I will continue waiting for the new firmware or move on to another product.
Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend you contact NG support and let them know what your having problems with. 

@villot418 wrote:
Thanks for your response. I agree this setup was great until October. This is my last Netgear product. I will continue waiting for the new firmware or move on to another product.

Message 7 of 9
coreyb
Initiate

I have spent about 4 hours on the phone with netgear support. I’ve restarted, reset, reinstalled, reflashed. None of it worked. I then realized that there are countless blog entries from people just like me mentioning exactly the same issue. All appearing from October onwards - seemingly as a result of the firmware upgrade.
Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Please start a new thread and post there. 

Let me help this user out here as though maybe similar problems, maybe different results or causes. 

I'm willing to help you out there as well. Also ChrsitineT can contact for additional help and information. 

Thank you. 

@coreyb wrote:
I have spent about 4 hours on the phone with netgear support. I’ve restarted, reset, reinstalled, reflashed. None of it worked. I then realized that there are countless blog entries from people just like me mentioning exactly the same issue. All appearing from October onwards - seemingly as a result of the firmware upgrade.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7