Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi wifi 6 AX6000 slow wifi speeds

travistyofjusti
Follower

Orbi wifi 6 AX6000 slow wifi speeds

Router reports internet speed over 450mb/s and the orbi app's wifi analytics says my phone (Galaxy Note 10+) is getting 850mb/s from the satellite but internet speeds over wifi are 20mb/s or lower. I started looking into it after getting a lot of skipping and buffering with streaming on TV. Rebooting the routers didn't change anything... ideas?
Message 1 of 11
KMDonlon
Luminary

Re: Orbi wifi 6 AX6000 slow wifi speeds

I have had issues with VERY inconsistent WiFi speeds. Tried resetting with no QOS activated (run speed test), run speed test, WMM enabled and not enabled, etc. Upload in particular is very slow always compared to download speed. I am full symmetrical fiber 1000/ 1000 and the speed test always shows 940+ in both directions. Also noticed with my laptop using 802.11ax the upload is less than half the download speed. I believe the QOS is flawed along with firmware issues. Have till mid January to return.... Also, not having 160mhz as an option is becoming a deal breaker for me.... Hoping for some quick firmware fixes to correct a multitude off issues....
Message 2 of 11
smokedporkroast
Aspirant

Any update on whether you got it solved? I just got the rbk853 set and am still having issues with anything over 160mbps for my ftp. 

I cant tell if its the computer or the router that is causing the slowdown, but the computer has an intel ax200 which has has 2 channels capable of 2400mbps, Im consistently getting 160mbps max.

Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What are your wired speeds to your ISP service or to a speed test server using Ooklas installable Speedtest app? 

FTP usually won't have high speeds due to it's design nature. Similar to VPN, the the processing that is being handled, tests to slow speeds down using these protocols. 

@smokedporkroast wrote:

Any update on whether you got it solved? I just got the rbk853 set and am still having issues with anything over 160mbps for my ftp. 

I cant tell if its the computer or the router that is causing the slowdown, but the computer has an intel ax200 which has has 2 channels capable of 2400mbps, Im consistently getting 160mbps max.

Message 4 of 11
smokedporkroast
Aspirant

My isp speeds ar 75/13.5, though its irrelevant since everything is over LAN, the WAN connection speeds are fine when i connect to the ftp from another location. What bothers me is when Im at home with a direct connection less than 2ft from the router and I only get 160mbps.

Thanks

Message 5 of 11
smokedporkroast
Aspirant

Forgot to mention, when I plug into the router with cat6, I get ~600mbps to the ftp. The ftp server is abut 200ft from the router connected via cat6.

Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What connection rate is the wireless adapter connecting at? 

Message 7 of 11
smokedporkroast
Aspirant

This is what beats me, I am connected at 1.2gbps and it never wavers to anyhting lower.

Message 8 of 11
KMDonlon
Luminary

Sorry for the delay, I have fiber 1000/1000. The more recent firmware versions have seemed to fix all my wifi speed issues. Also, setting up from scratch a while back and not using the QOS (speed test) has resolved it.
Message 9 of 11
smokedporkroast
Aspirant

Just curious, but do you mean that you never ran the speed test under the QOS settings and it fixed the problem? After setting up from scratch of course.

@KMDonlon wrote:
Sorry for the delay, I have fiber 1000/1000. The more recent firmware versions have seemed to fix all my wifi speed issues. Also, setting up from scratch a while back and not using the QOS (speed test) has resolved it.

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Running the speed test under QoS seems to cause slow downs on 1Gb ISP services. Something we also saw on Orbi AC. So does Access Controls and Traffic Meter. So with users on 1Gb service, it's recommended to factory reset the RBR and setup from scratch. Then don't use those features on the RBR. 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7