Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi works but will not connect to internet

rvk_ice
Tutor

Orbi works but will not connect to internet

Just purchased Orbi today, more specifically : Orbi AX1800 WiFi 6 Dual-band Mesh Router(RBR350). Thing came in a package with AP (which I have just kept in the box to add later if I ever get internet from the router). Previously I have had a Huawei router provided from my ISP.

I've been totally unsucsessful in establishing an internet connected wifi by connecting it to my fiber box.The router does not connect to receive the internet connection. 

Everything went smooth when setting up obri, establishing user, dl the app, setting ssid and pw. The Obri updated its firmware as intented. I've connected to the wifi that the Obri does establishe and it works fine. Only problem being that it wont connect to my ISP and provide internet. Obri Mac address has been notified to ISP and authorized to connect.

The router should be in good order as it works perfectly when connected from the ethernet port of my Huawei router to the internet port of the Obri. That way it receives internet and provides very fast wifi to my phone. My ISP can see it connected/registered under the correct MAC address when connected that way.

Are there any considerations in the app to try before I return the thing. I should note that I've followed the Netgear prescribed  procedure, turning modem off for 1-2 minutes, connecting to obri router, and then provide power to obri router. Its not the cord as it works with the Huawei but not Obri. Every single time I've tried to connect the Obri router the light on the on it has blinked an then turned steady purple.

I seem to have run out of options. I've seen stories of the internet port of the Obri being faulty but I doubt that is the case as internet is recived from my current router. Is there a difference in a WAN port and the internet port in of the Obri router?

Any advice would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
rvk_ice
Tutor

Re: Orbi works but will not connect to internet

I should note here that my issue has been solved. After numerous phonecalls with my ISP answering  questions on whether cable was connected and power on they took a deeper look on their end with their tech dept. (as opposed to people answering in service dept.) and opened somehow further up for the Orbi MAC address. Voila I'm happy up and running fully connected.  Thanks to those who replied. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem or ONT and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Check with your ISP to see if they require any kind of special protocols on there network for externally connected routers. 

Message 2 of 7
rvk_ice
Tutor

Thanks for hte repsonse, appreciated. Firmware version noted in the app is V2.13.1..1868.  I've tried the exact sequence suggested before, and once again after your response, withou the success. Purple is becoming one of the most drepressing colours! 🙂  

Again I've connected the router to my huawei to be able to enjoy the super fast wifi and connect my lan to the obri's ethernet port. This thing is a superfast product. But I'm only halfway there having to receive the internet connection from my huawei rather than modem. 

Message 3 of 7
rvk_ice
Tutor

I should note here that my issue has been solved. After numerous phonecalls with my ISP answering  questions on whether cable was connected and power on they took a deeper look on their end with their tech dept. (as opposed to people answering in service dept.) and opened somehow further up for the Orbi MAC address. Voila I'm happy up and running fully connected.  Thanks to those who replied. 

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 5 of 7
rvk_ice
Tutor

Thanks, again very appreciated. This forum is a lifesafer. 

Further I wanted to note here another problem I ran in to with a unit that I can't see that has been covered here so I might as well note it on the forum for future referene.

I Have a Bticino doorbell system and a video unit (Classe 100X16E) which is wifi connected allowing for remote access trough mobile app. At the time of writing the unit's firmware version.1.5.1.

It could not connect to the Orbi wifi despite numerous attempts. The unit can be connected by connecting to it through a mobile app as the unit appears as a seperate/independant wifi/AP. The app's name is Door entry.

Any attempts on my android Galaxy 21 were unsucsessful probably as it has WIFI 6 or 5 GHz connection to my Orbi. I tried doing as suggested on this forum, to connect through an older phone, more specifially an Iphone 7 which only has 2,4 GHz but without success. 

By unchecking the option "Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence" which can be found under "Advanced setup" and "wireless setup"  the unit came in through my Galaxy and has stayed connected. I've since rechecked the "Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence" option in the Orbi settings and the unit stays connected. Hopefully this may assist anyone having problems with Bticino or the Door Entry app.

Even better would be that the Door entry app or unit receives a firmware update to accommodate the most recent technological advances!

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Would be something to contact the Mfr of this device and let them know. Seen lots of poor development with these IoTs and there setup software apps. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7